Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I clean corroded 7 1/2 - 8 bird shot

Boolit Buddy

I tumbled the shot with water and a handful of sheet metal screws. it worked ok, it just trashed the Chinese rock tumbler. I'm going to try the lime away idea. I'm not going to give up, shot is expensive and we shoot a lot of shells in my sons vepr 12. that gun is crazy fun.
    separating sand from the shot is a pain, I already did that once after I dug it from a turkey shoot and an old skeet range.

I have had my eye on a neighbors metal bucket 2/3 full of white dusty reclaimed shot as scrap lead. Sounds like with lime away (just picked up a bottle) and a little time I might be able to load that shot which he doesn't use any more. Was thinking of it as scrap lead that would be a hassle to melt but as shot I can use it makes the price a much better deal.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you do have Lead Oxide contaminated water, please also keep it away from kids, pets, etc. as that wouldn't be good at ALL.

Lime Away seemed to work well to clean the pellets, having a little trouble finding dry graphite. Anyone know of stores or type of businesses that would need to keep a stock of dry graphite?

I found this spray version at Home Depot https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-8-GS-...A1EYZAYD0W9M1Y Wonder if anyone has ever tried it?

But have no idea if that would work well on shot or not. There are a few items on Amazon but was hoping there was a big box or local supply with a competitive price https://www.amazon.com/Generals-Powd.../dp/B00TCLCO7A
    Last edited by RogerDat; 07-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

RogerDat - Any place with a key copying machine (your local general stores, hardware stores, and locksmiths etc.) should carry dry graphite for using in your car's or houses' locks; Usually $1.50-$2.00 for a 0.3 gram (thumb sized) tube. There should be other cheaper places, I just don't happen to have looked them up yet as a tube lasts me long enough. That dry graphite you showed is a good deal relatively, but the 2- and 3-packs are way over priced, looks like, unless I'm not getting something there.

Boolit Buddy

get the generals powdered stuff and you'll never run out. I use a half teaspoon in the tumbler for each load and adjust the amt as needed. My tumblers are tough Thumblers Ultra Vibes, and hold a bag of shot easy, just add until it sounds like its working and the shot is moving nicely, a 3lb coffee can hold about 40 to 42 lbs of shot .

I bought 4 (I think) of the tubes a while back and still have graphite in each, but I agree, should be able to refill them later that way I mainly use it for neck swaging for 7 TCU and 7-30 Waters, and the occasional lock lubrication. I haven't been doing any shot related stuff but will be doing pistol shot shells in a while. That shot is clean and dry though. Looks like you use a lot more!

True Value Hardware. 1.12 oz bottle for $4.95 I bought two bottles (2.25 oz total) Could have gotten 3 oz. for same price online but being blessed with a real honest to goodness hardware store I try to do my bit to keep them in business.

I have about 12# of washed and dried shot in a folgers red plastic coffee can. I figure maybe somewhat less than the 1/2 teaspoon of graphite being used on a full load. Does that sound about right?

Duct tape the lid down and throw coffee can in trunk to roll around should get the graphite dispersed and the shot covered.

Boolit Master
    my blond gal friend tried the limeaway because she said it would work. OK now she got to go to out for dinner.
    a vib case tumbler works to re graphite about 1hr but dont fill it full. make sure its DRY
    not sure i would trust can and duct tape you may have long time finding shot in the car

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I had a few boxes of oxidized pellets for pellet guns and I washed with a little dish soap, dumped the water on my sand hill range and then added a little light machine oil to the pellets and swirled. No more oxidation or lead dust. I don't store them in my mouth while hunting like I did when I was a kid though.
    I used to store them in my mouth as well. Wouldn't make noise in container while walking around and faster access to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    a vib case tumbler works to re graphite about 1hr but dont fill it full. make sure its DRY
    not sure i would trust can and duct tape you may have long time finding shot in the car
    I understand that putting graphite in tumbler makes it almost impossible to get clean again.

I have about 18 pounds of old 7 1/2 shot (somewhat ozidized) sitting in an old coffee tin and what I've decided to do with it is to try putting about 5 pounds at a time in my vibrating tumbler with plastic air soft BB's and some bright orange powder coat and then bake it as normal for pc. I want to see how well it coats the shot and then load some of it for "tracer" loads as a training tool for "newbies" at our local Trap and Skeet range. I'm hoping that it will be visible in flight so that you can actually see the shot string. Most "tracer" loads that are on the market are only showing you the wad in flight and not the shot string ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

That's a good idea to try! I know back in model rocketry days we would put a bunch of corn starch (IIRC) in a model rocket and then a venturi tube in there so the starch would leave a trail behind the rocket showing us where it went. PCing the shot should make seeing it easier

Coffee can didn't move or roll for squat. Sat there like sandbag. Poured shot in one of those larger plastic storage bins typically used to store clothes or decorations, size of an ice cooler with snap on lid. Shot is sliding around at ever stop, start and turn. High sides make sure that as long as shiny side of vehicle is up and greasy side down it won't slop out. Lid is on for a bit of insurance and to keep other things from getting in or graphite dust from getting out.

So far that is looking like best approach to re-graphite that doesn't involve putting in tumbler. Will have to see how easily the graphite washes off after the process is complete.

PC shot... as tracer rounds.... Hmmm interesting. Oh the insanity will the projects never end?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12