Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: CandH Shotgun press

CandH Shotgun press

[IMG][/IMG] EBay find. Saw no bids on this and bid $27 and won. It was a filthy little piggy. Previous owner opted to just add more oil when it got sticky instead of cleaning. All cleaned up and running now. Neat little press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gpidaho; 07-11-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Never seen one but looks to be a well made machine. Got it figured out yet as far as powder/shot adjustments?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Sorry for the double post. I'm still figuring out this tapatalk business on my cell phone. No cyphering done yet but the slide bar drops just short of 1 1/8 oz. of shot and around 27gr. of powder depending on the powder of course. (I just tried Green Dot so far) Any body got any C&H bushings in their junk box?

congrats man, one good looking press, never seen one like it before

GP be very careful with the shell holder / wad guide. The body itself is easy to break if you force it or are not careful with it.

I don't think C&H has any more of them.

Most of the ones you see for sale have that part broken which effectively makes the press useless.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Thanks for the warning Randy. I'm always interested in oddities and this just caught my eye. The powder-shot bushings are just thin metal tubes and I only have the two that came in the slide. I'll try to figure out a useful load with what I have and just go with that. It throws the usual shy 1 1/8 oz. shot load but I'll have to find a slower than I would like powder or one with a lot of bulk because the powder bushing is fairly large. It will mostly just be a toy, not my every day press. I have three Mec's for everyday chores. Thanks for the kind replies Guys. Gp

GP: the vast majority of older 12ga loaders were setup for Red Dot powder and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I don't remember exactly what the one I had was set up for, I sold it to Sea Giant.

I got lucky and got one of the last Wad Guides C&H had about 10 years ago.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy. Wad guide is just fine on this press(at least not broken) but I'll watch out for it. The powder bushing is FAR from Red Dot, sadly as it drops around a whopping 40+ grains of Blue Dot. I've had a couple of friendly and helpful comebacks on the sales thread but haven't found any extra powder bushings yet. If I had a hobby lathe I don't think they would be hard to make as they are just strait aluminum tubes but getting up in years I can't see starting another expensive hobby. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think I'm allowed to post ebay links, but look up "CH Reloading, 19 Shot & Powder Bushings"

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Gp,

What a great find and at a killer price no less! Love to see these old pieces brought back.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

MSM: Thank you, I placed a minimum bid this morning and will keep a watch on them. I'm such a computer Tard that I'm just now learning my way around ebay and between them and "Buds" my evening shopping is putting a hit on my bank account. LOL Hamish; The shipping was more $'s than the press (typical ebay jack the price up B.S.) but I'm pretty pleased with the way it cleaned up. Wish I'd taken a few more before photos, it was a real mess. Thanks Guys. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    MSM: Thank you, I placed a minimum bid this morning and will keep a watch on them. I'm such a computer Tard that I'm just now learning my way around ebay and between them and "Buds" my evening shopping is putting a hit on my bank account. LOL Hamish; The shipping was more $'s than the press (typical ebay jack the price up B.S.) but I'm pretty pleased with the way it cleaned up. Wish I'd taken a few more before photos, it was a real mess. Thanks Guys. Gp
    I'm sure they really do cost that much to ship a press. I once sold a couple of nice boat anchors on Ebay, they were bigger dansforth style ones. By my best measurements, the online estimate was about $45, so that's what I put up. When somebody actually bought one, I took it to USPS, and they flat out said they wouldn't ship it. I then took it to UPS, and was told $175! A friend recommended wrapping in plastic wrap. It was initially cheaper, but there is some kind of freight charge that put it back up to $175 for the odd shape. At this point I'm bummed, as I didn't even get $100 for the anchor. I eventually made a mangled, ugly, taped up box that was as small as possible, and got the cost down to $80. By the way, the anchor while large, was only 20 pounds. I think the dumbest thing was a ring and pinion gear set from a truck I had packaged absolutely perfectly in a tidy little 9"x9"x9" box. They wanted $45 to ship it because it was over the 15 pound limit or whatever it was. So I took that nice little box, and put it in the comparatively massive flat rate box that could hold 4 of these little boxes easily, and it was $17. On the other side, I bought a 24" ice fishing rod, and it came in a box about 6"x12"x36", and the shipping was free.

Sorry for the rant, but Shipping is another legal scam along with insurance companies.

MSM Won the bid on the bushings. Thanks for your help on that. Now I hope they fit this model of press. Gp

The shot and powder bushings for this press arrived (Ebay purchase) 15 of the 19 work with my press, five are shot bushings The powder bushings are letter coded and the J bushing is good for my 1 1/8 oz. loads with my usual types of powder. So, press is up and running. Thanks again for spotting the ebay offer MSM. If anyone has a need for C&H bushings coded 902 they are free for the asking. Gp