RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: CCI 109 Primers

Boolit Master

CCI 109 Primers

Very recently I came into six (6) trays of CCI #109 shotgun primers. They are very clean and appear to have been made recently, or at least well kept since being made. This was the first of these I had ever seen or heard of. Google-foo searches told me nothing (always defaulted to #209 primers) about them so I called Speer/CCI to ask for details. Their representative stated these are intended for use in some very old shotgun hulls. When I asked if he was speaking about paper hulls or all brass hulls, he would only answer "very old hulls". Either he did not know the final answer, or was just refusing to share that detail with me. He also commented that these primers are not compatible with the powders that are currently made. Huh? Was he saying they are built for black powder? He would not elaborate on powders either.

I don't reload shotgun shells but would love to know where these have an application. If anyone here has past knowledge or experience with the CCI #109 shotshell primer would they please share that with me. Thanks for your help.

Thin Man

I had look in my Lyman 2nd ed shotgun manual and here is some of the use of those primers 12ga fed 2 3/34" reddot cci 109 then it state for the wads .For roll crimp for slug . you also have it use for 16 ga 2 3/4" fold crimp buckshot with SR 4756 . you also got the use in 410 with the use of IMR 4227 ,296,H110 powders.It is for 2 1/2" 1/2oz field and skeet loads.CIL paper cases onlyAlso have use in Fed Plastic also in 410,also some in 3" Win plastic and western cases ,Also use in 20ga , 12ga,10ga field loads for hunting in field.there is too many to post. but hope this will help so there is todays powders ,they can be use in .for normal use.I just check also in my Lyman 1st ed and it is used like normal loading of plastic hulls for shotgun .I just wanted at first to give you a idea of some of the use there is.it look like CCI did not want to do any research on what they had. Hope this help and also for data let me know by PM then I will look it up then .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    they are same as the 209 BUT may be a bit loose in some hulls . would check fit if you use, if you can push in by hand then dont use in that type hull. if they wont go in easy then the hull you have is good to use them.ALSO they may not have a seal over the hole,if not use red,green dot as it wont get inside the cup.

Boolit Buddy
    They are smaller than modern primers. I don't know what year the change to larger primers was made. If you have older hulls they will work fine with modern load recipes. Their primer holes are smaller so the fit is tight. Finding older hulls is the trick. Most Remingtons had a molded base wad that comes apart after a couple reloads. That's when they were new. After sitting around 30+ years they pretty much fall apart when you set the primer. Not a safe situation. If you can find some older WW compression formed hulls they should work and be safe to load.

Boolit Master
    See below, gotta read closer. The Rem 157 was much smaller, the 109 should be ok in Rem gun clubs of current manufacture.
    Last edited by rking22; 07-31-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

If they are undersized, but you want to use them up just glue them into the oversized primer pockets of hulls that you are planning to discard after firing. Problem solved ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Gotta pay more attention, was thinking rem 157, the 109 is pretty much a cheaper 209. Chemically the same as 209 and we used them interchangably with 209.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Reverend Al wins the giggle trophy for the suggestion about glue. Thanks for the smile.

My true reason for asking about these primers was whether they would fit and remain in the breech bolt of an in-line muzzleloader, also whether they would have enough fire to light up the compressed black powder substitute pellets (Triple 7, 50 cal., 50 gr.). Both of these tests will be easy to run once the new breech bolt arrives.

Most of my curiosity about these started when there was no information available via google-foo and the CCI rep acted liked he didn't even want to share whatever information he had about them. My thanks to all who answered this question. The sleeves around these primer trays look new but I suspect this product has been discontinued for some time now. If anyone has a suggestion on the years they were offered for sale I would love to hear about that. Thanks again.

There is some odd hulls that they would fit in that is under size. I found some for the hulls that was given to me. I use the BPI tool to fix that to fit 209 to enlarge the hole.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA