Lee PrecisionADvertise hereRotoMetals2Graf & Sons
MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationTitan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 flint or cap

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I think im set on the flint. Now im second guessing whether i want the 32 or 36. The more i read bout the 36 it might be a little more versatile. The only thing i will be shooting with it is cans paper and snowshoe hair.
    If you looked at something like the Pedersoli Hawken or Kentucky rifle they have generic locks that are common on a few of the Pedersoli firearm range ,so the flintlock can be swapped for the Caplock by just switching the vent/flash hole for the drum and nipple. I have one of each of the above rifles and just swap locks as I feel the need. When I got My Kentucky second-hand it arrived with both the Flint and percussion locks. Certainly removes the dilemma of flint or percussion.

Boolit Master
    I hallways discharge all of my weapons be fore i exit the woods when done hunting at the end of the day. never bring any of them home loaded, i know a cap lock is considered unloaded with out a cap and a flinter unloaded with no powder in the pan! but when you discharge them they are unloaded!.

Banned
    The flintlock depends on low-pressure powder gases entering through the vent, so you can't reduce the vent much below normal diameter. If you tried to make a .17 flintlock long gun, I wouldn't be surprised to find so much gas from the charge leaking away, that either the projectile wouldn't make it out of the muzzle, or its velocity would be excessively unpredictable.

A .32 wouldn't be anywhere near that bad, and would probably be a very satisfactory firearm for many purposes. But I can't imagine it giving the accuracy of a larger calibre. A percussion firearm, on the other hand, normally seals the nipple, and even with exceptionally high-pressure rifles, which lift the hammer, the hole in the nipple is too small to materially affect pressure and velocity.

Boolit Master

Actually when accuracy starts to drop off one of the cures is to replace the nipple as the nipple hole gets enlarged from firing.
    Aim small, miss small!

I just find 32s exceptionally difficult to shoot at much distance. I have a Dixie 32 Cal flintlock, and at 25 yards you can cover the groups with a dime. At 50 yds it's more like a baseball. It seems like it shouldn't open up that fast but it always does. My larger caliber rifles are much more consistent. I also learned that the 32 ball goes so fast that it blows up squirrels, unless you load it really light. A 40 or 45 causes a lot less damage to them.
    "Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12