Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 32 flint or cap

Yeah, shooting round ball would likely be reduced loads; heavier for the longer boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Probably. Of course you have to keep in mind roundball rifling should be a lot deeper than bullet rifling ideally.
    Ideally your right but some shallow groove barrels shoot ball well . My Dixie poor boy barrel has 6 thou grooves and does very well . My dads TC 45 hawkin is only 4 thou groove and shoots balls better than my colerain deep groove . Only rub is unless your using spit as the patch lube you need to swab the barrel about every 3 shot or you ain't getting the next one down the barrel without a mallet .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Many years ago, when I was a young adult my mother didn't know what to get me for Christmas. So in frustration she told me to get something not too expensive and put it under the tree and she would reimburse me. So I ordered a Thompson Center Cherokee in .32.

Over the years I have shot round ball and maxi balls through this rifle and it has always proved to be accurate. My round ball load was 20 grains of 3f and my maxi ball load was 25 grains. The light 45 grain round ball doesn't buck the wind very well, in my experience, so from fifty yards out the 105 grain maxi ball beats the round ball in accuracy. I'm not sure you can shoot anything other than round ball in a flint lock. For that reason along I would lean toward a percussion rifle. If you can find one my advice is to buy a T/C Cherokee.

Mom is gone now and I'm not sure she realized that that year I got the best Christmas present ever.

I just got a .32 traditions crockett percussion. I really want a flinter now too

Banned

as wonky as traditions guns are, i WISH that .32 crockett was also offered in flint. be on it like flies on ....

flintlock for me, in damp weather a flint gun if loaded properly will fire. some percussion guns the dog leg channel in a patent breech can get clogged up. I see this all the time at our monthly matches when its snowing , damp, or raining. as for bringing it in , I keep mine inside and clean it well, the night before the hunt I swab it out with rubbing alcohol so its bone dry. load the next morning as usual, never me or my friend ever had it fail in 30 some yrs. for our hunting loads we use beef tallow or the bore butter type stuff we both shoot round ball. I've been building flintguns since 84. gun luck with whatever you choose.
    "there is a limit to everything"
    Sigillum Militum Xpisti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123