RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Graf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black bear hunting

I can remember the first time I drawn for zone a/a1 it took four years...that was 9/11. The second time... 9 years! Now I'm going on eight years again! I was told years ago there were tons of PETA members buying licenses and putting in for the draw preventing hunters from getting drawn. Well, after getting drawn, buying bait, and burning gas for a 3 1/2 plus hour drive each way once a week starting in July to bait it's cheaper to pay a guide in Canada to sit over bait.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I can remember the first time I drawn for zone a/a1 it took four years...that was 9/11. The second time... 9 years! Now I'm going on eight years again! I was told years ago there were tons of PETA members buying licenses and putting in for the draw preventing hunters from getting drawn. Well, after getting drawn, buying bait, and burning gas for a 3 1/2 plus hour drive each way once a week starting in July to bait it's cheaper to pay a guide in Canada to sit over bait.
    It's that bad? This was the first time I ever applied for a bear permit, so I wasn't too surprised to not get it. I don't think I've ever NOT been drawn for a turkey A season in the 10 years I've hunted them, and I figured bear hunting was even less popular.

Not in Wisconsin. It takes forever to get drawn. Doesn't help when they publicize...or use to...that Winter, Wisconsin is black bear capital of the United States. We have alot of out of state hunters from Tennessee that come run their dogs in the public forests as well. In the late 80's there were a lot of years I didn't get a turkey permit. Now there are 1000's of left over available permits over the counter. I did hear in MN it's easier to get drawn ranging from 0-3 years.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-12-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Well, after getting drawn, buying bait, and burning gas for a 3 1/2 plus hour drive each way once a week starting in July to bait it's cheaper to pay a guide in Canada to sit over bait.
    google CLOVA.it's a city known to be the black bear capital in northern quebec.

I'm jealous of you guys that can use bait or Dogs for bear . Here in Pa neither is allowed. We do have a very good population and have some rather large bears that get taken every year BUT they are like ghosts when the season starts. My dad has been bear hunting all his life and only once has he caught a fleeting glimpse of black fur in season . It's one of those right place at the right time and lots of luck things !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I'm jealous of you guys that can use bait or Dogs for bear . Here in Pa neither is allowed. We do have a very good population and have some rather large bears that get taken every year BUT they are like ghosts when the season starts. My dad has been bear hunting all his life and only once has he caught a fleeting glimpse of black fur in season . It's one of those right place at the right time and lots of luck things !

Hang a bird feeder by your tree stand...for the birds. And the bear will come.lol

Can you do food plots? Like berries or raspberries?

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    Thanks, I've hunted in swan river twice. Awesome bear population!

I borrowed this book to a buddy. It's a good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Blac.../dp/1886422508

Check and see if your local library has it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-14-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Ive never participated but i have friends who will go to the campsites that were known to have trouble bears, If you can draw a bwcaw tag your odds are very good, The regulations are a little diffrent in the wilderness. If anyone is interested in a Boundry waters hunt I recomend you call Canadian Waters outfiting and ask for Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    I've been to Relay 22 an hour north of LaTuque 5 times spring hunting over bait with a bow. 5 bears biggest one 19 6/16.
    We used stink bait, two rolls of toilet paper soaked in anise oil put in panty hose and thrown like a bolo as high as possible into a tree, donuts soaked in watered down molasses in 5 gallon pails wired to the barrage, we used to bring meat scraps but were stopped at the border and told no go. Sprinkled Jello on the ground for the bears to track down the trail to attract other bears. Tree stands are 6 feet high so you would get both lungs with a bow shot, we did this on our own, just used the guide for a meal and lodging in order to get the bears out of Canada. Had a couple of bears climb the stand and smell my boots, both times it was after I had killed a bear and was armed only with a video camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12