MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Anybody reamed and tapped for choke tubes?

Anybody reamed and tapped for choke tubes?

I wondered if anybody on here has ever reamed and tapped a shotgun for chokes? I'm getting a shotgun that has the last 3" of barrel cut off. Which means no choke. The rest of gun is in great shape though. Its either find another barrel or try and ream/tap for chokes. Thanks for any info or comments
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I would recommend contacting a gunsmith who specializes in shotguns, and discussing this with him. I was once told that if a shotgun barrel was thick enough for screw-in chokes, it came from the factory that way (already threaded). A gross oversimplification, I know, as many, many shotguns have been threaded for choke tubes that didn't originally come that way. The necessary tooling is not inexpensive.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Just make sure the bore diameter is .730 or smaller. That is the maximum size recommended by most choke tube manufactures. If it is a modern shotgun, you should be alright. A larger bore will leave a lip exposed on the choke tube, which will get peeled back by the shot column. I had an old cut back barrel Stevens single barrel with a .742 bore. Was told, no can do, by a gunsmith for the choke tube. I got an old cut off Poly Choke for $15. I was able to remove the remnants of the old barrel from it, and thread my barrel to accept it. Works great, that is, if you like Poly Chokes.

You also need to be aware of the outside diameter. If it's too small your threads show through, not a good sight. And you probably can't get it cut if it has a chrome lined bore. Otherwise, just as stated above, find somebody who does this and they can fix you up. I used to do them many years ago but my tooling is dull and there's just not much call for it any more so I don't get new cutters.

Boolit Master

Carlson did one for me for about 130 bucks iirc, 3 chokes included, had it back less than a week. Outstanding.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Carlson did one for me for about 130 bucks iirc, 3 chokes included, had it back less than a week. Outstanding.
    Good suggestion. Briley used to do them too, if they're still around.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Good suggestion. Briley used to do them too, if they're still around.
    briley is around and does excellent work, but they charge well for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Fist you measure to see if the barrel wall will be thick enough then measure to see that it is ROUND. Then set up to ream and thread. We do Carlson thin wall choke tubes with either one or 3 tubes IF the gun qualifies. PM me for prices. 1 week turn around.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I have threaded a number of old shotguns barrels to take screw in chokes.
    I bought the rem choke reamer, bushings, and tap.

Another thing to look out for, is shotgun bores that are off center. This really is a problem. Cut an inch off the end of a shotgun muzzle and you can often see it with the naked eye.

I find I can do a barrel much faster [not that time matter much for some old retired guy] if I make a drawing of what the reamer is supposed to do, and cut some of the metal out of the way with a boring bar. Then the reamer, then the choke tap. Some guys tell me my reamer is dull if I do that. It is not. I am reaming slowly and it fills with chips. The boring bar.. I can run the lathe at high r.p.m.s.

There are some straight forward cautions from Brownells:
    https://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/M...stallation.pdf

CREW-IN CHOKE INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS
    Before accepting a barrel for machining to accept screw-in chokes, you must measure the outside diameter (O.D.) to determine
    if there will be sufficient wall thickness after machining. “Mike” the O.D. of the barrel and the O.D. of the tap for the particular
    gauge. Subtract the O.D. of the tap from that of the barrel, divide by 2, and this will give the wall thickness after machining,
    providing the O.D. of the barrel is concentric with the inside diameter (I.D.). A sample calculation appears below.
    Barrel O.D. (12 Gauge) .850"
    Tap O.D. (12 Gauge) Win-Choke™ – .814"
    .036" ÷ 2 = . 018" Wall Thickness
    We DO NOT recommend installations in barrels where the resultant wall thickness will be less than .015", providing the I.D. of
    the barrel is concentric with the O.D. If the I.D. is not concentric with the O.D., you will have to make your own decision as to
    whether the installation will be safe. In addition, you CANNOT install screw-in chokes in barrels whose inside diameters (I.D.)
    exceed the following dimensions:10 ga. - .780";12 ga.- .735";12 ga. Thinwall- .728";16 ga.- .666";20 ga.- .624". Exceeding these
    dimensions WILL CAUSE DAMAGED CHOKE TUBES and there is a GREAT POSSIBILITY OF CAUSING A BARREL BLOW-OUT!
    Check EVERY installation before firing to make sure the tube does not protrude into the bore. Back-bored or jug-choked barrels
    are usually NOT suitable for screw-in choke installation.

https://www.midwayusa.com/choke-tube...es/br?cid=9199

Specific Choke Types:

Tru-Choke for use with barrels that are too thin for Win-Choke. Outside diameter .020" smaller than Win-Choke.
    12 gauge .795" - 44 tpi, accepts standard Tru-Choke tubes. 20 gauge .675" - 44 tpi

Tru-Choke thinwall for over and under, lightweight single shot, side by side with thin barrels. 0.020" thinner than standard Tru-Choke tubes.
    12 gauge .775" - 44 tpi, accepts thinwall style tubes only.

Win-Choke for threading barrels to accept original equipment tubes from Win-Choke, Mossberg AccuChoke, Weatherby, Browning Invector.
    12 gauge .814" - 32 tpi. 20 gauge 11/16" - 32 tpi.

Rem-Choke barrels will accept Rem-Choke and Remington factory tubes.
    12 gauge .814" - 32 tpi.

Boolit Master
    I have tru choke standard 12 gauge tooling, read the above specs. Message me for details.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

Mike Orlen

79 Salem Street • Amherst, MA 01002 • (413) 256-1630 • fax (413) 253-5665

michael.orlen@verizon.net

Choke Tube Installation (per barrel) $35.00 $55.00 older price list email or call him

I got a excellent Win 97 cheap because barrel had a terrible Bubba whack job. I saved almost
    24" and was going to put rifle sights on it. Gun was so nice I took to my Smith to have sights
    silver soldered. He talked me into screw in chokes. I went with Winchester choke threads and
    am very happy with the job. I like super full or wide open choke, no in between stuff. Gun shoots
    with the Turkey chokes very well. The cylinder shots same as any other short barreled gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Mike Orlen

79 Salem Street • Amherst, MA 01002 • (413) 256-1630 • fax (413) 253-5665

michael.orlen@verizon.net

Choke Tube Installation (per barrel) $35.00 $55.00 older price list email or call him
    This^^^^^^^^^^^