Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Forming 35 whelen from 30-06

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Forming 35 whelen from 30-06

Never resized brass before. I would assume I can can just run 30-06 through a 35 whelen full length sizer and I'm good to go? Are there any other casings that will work to make 35 whelen? I would assume I want to anneal the casing necks before do this?

Most 35 whelen dies have a tapered expander button and work just like you imagine. You can use 25-06 and 270 brass also, though that will need to be trimmed after you form it. And yes, annealing is a very good thing.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    You can use 25-06 and 270 brass also, though that will need to be trimmed after you form it. And yes, annealing is a very good thing.
    This is a good idea anyway.

In my experience, using 270 brass is the better idea. The 30-06 case forms a little short. The always uneven necks that happen when forming will need to be squared/trimmed, shortening the case some more. So the 30-06 is now, as a new 35W case, even shorter than it should be from the get go. The longer 270 Winchester starts you off with enough brass so after everything is done you end up with correct full size, full length cases.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-05-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I agree that 270 is better, and if you can find it.... 280 Rem is even better. 'Gives you more neck.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Thanks for the helpful advise. I found some military range brass at the local range. I do t remember the metric size is it 7.62x63?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advise. I found some military range brass at the local range. I do t remember the metric size is it 7.62x63?
    Make sure it has boxer primers before you buy it.

You can also fire form it with bullseye and cream of wheat
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master

Suggestion: if you use 270 or 280 brass my suggestion would be to run them through your 30 cal die first then the 35 cal die. Going from .270 to .358 in one jump sometimes ruins the brass, but not if you step up gradually.
    Also, even though the re-formed 30-06 case is slightly shorter I have not found it to be a problem when loading either J's or cast in the .35 Whelen.
    the .35 Whelen is a great cartridge !
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

I use LC brass for all my reforming. its good brass and lacks a designation Head Stamp making it better/safer identifying the cartridge.

It just me maybe but that's what I do.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I like that idead so its not confusing when I grab brass to reload as I own an 06' as well

It makes sence to work up a 270 or 280 case gradually and I do own an 30-06 die set
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Before I converted it to .358 Norma, I just shot milsurp '06 in my Mauser .35 Whelen To form brass(but it was cheap then!)
    Similarly to what you're doing, I've formed lots of 7.62Nato to .358 Win in one pass using CH dies.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 07-05-2018 at 07:35 PM.

If anybody has a set of 35 whelen dies they would part with pm me

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Before I converted it to .358 Norma, I just shot milsurp '06 in my Mauser .35 Whelen To form brass(but it was cheap then!)
    Similarly to what you're doing, I've formed lots of 7.62Nato to .358 Win in one pass using CH dies.
    I have a couple hundred pieces of NM brass as well as dies. Im chomping at the bit for a 358 NM rifle!! I almost bought a nice older plain jane 375 H&H SAKO laast month for the conversion!! The price was right, but passed dunno why exactly just did not “do it” for me! I would rather a Mauser action I guess.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I never had a problem with resizing 06 to 35 whelen after all that is the brass that it was designed off of maybe I am just lucky

Deaconllb

Boolit Master

cwlongshot has a good suggestion about using LC or other military stamped brass.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I caved and ordered a RCBS 35 whelen die set tonight. Brand new, $31 shipped on Amazon, couldn't pass up the deal.

I went through my range brass today and found a about a dozen 06' lake city casings to practice on when it gets here. I also had four 270 winchester casings. I annealed them along with the LC brass. Didn't have my glasses on and grabbed my 300 RUM die set to run them through....that's a first! I sized the necks anyways and broke my decapper pin on a boxer primer case. I figured out that I had the wrong die in after that. I installed the 06' die and resized. I only ruined one case that caught on the side of the rum die and tucked in. I plan on tossing it but wanted to experiment with it first. I grabbed a needle nose plyers and bent it back out and reformed it in the 06 die. It's still ruff and jagged around the edge. One of the 270 casings buckled the neck in when I ran it through the rum die and reformed perfectly after resizing in the 06' die....what a mess! Lesson learned to put on my readers. I felt pretty stupid.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-19-2018 at 10:45 PM.

I've never bothered to anneal case necks with 35 Whelen reformed from commercial 30-06 or 270 brass. I get about 30 firings on my cases and only toss out after trimming 4 times.
    A deplorable that votes!