RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accuracy isnt king for me.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I just look at it as everyone owes it to themselves to know what their gun is capable of on the bench first and then transfer over to free handing it with the best grouping load. That way if groups open up the operator Knows it was their fault and can practice shooting instead of wondering if it was the firearm or ammo to blame.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I havent considered that a tight shooting gun/ammo would be a psychological advantage.
    And a practical advantage. More you shoot the better you hit.

Boolit Master

I don’t fret too much over accuracy but I make sure I have enough. I get sub MOA out of my rifle with CBs or I’m not happy. My pistols I need at least 2” at 25 yards or better, my competition XDM does 1.58” on average at 25 yards so I’m more than happy with that. Accuracy isn’t the most important thing but it’s oretty darn!

Well, I finally built a shooting bench. The picnic table I used to use, gave up a few years ago so i've been doing without, shooting off of vehicles and the like. Prone off a rest is not to be sneezed at for accuracy, but its not nearly as convenient as a table. Now I can test loads properly.

In my original post, I think folks got the impression i didnt test my loads for accuracy... not so. I just dont chase the accuracy. As long as I can get accuracy equivalent to factory ammo in the same power range im content.

Boolit Master
    I never felt the need for anything better than 1.5 MOA. Never once had the need to shoot beyond 300 yards and that includes dall sheep hunting, caribou, and some really long shots at blacktail deer on Kodiak Island.
    To many hunters are more worried about what their rifle will do than what they can do with the rifle. For starters they need to get off the bench and stand on there own 2 feet and practice.
    Even if a rifle can shoot 2 MOA at 400 yards that means you will hit within 4 inches of where you aimed.
    Now varmint hunting is a different ball game altogether.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    If a gun can shoot about 2-3 MOA, I'm generally pretty happy. I tend to hold newer guns to a higher standard since guaranteed 1 MOA accuracy seems to be the new standard for most rifles. Milsurps get a pass unless accuracy just doesn't exist period. (My M1895 Nagant comes to mind. It shoots pie tin sized groups at point blank range).

I was testing loads the other day, I got a 1 5/8" group with my winchester 30-30, 31141 reload. Factory federal 170 grain did 1 3/8 group on the same session. Both of those at 70 yards. Im pretty happy with that.

Boolit Master
    I only REALLY care about hunting accuracy from field positions. But to get there, I'll spend the time at the bench to get the rifle under 1 Moa out to 400 yards. It's only after I'm confident in the rifle and the load that I feel it's worth putting in the time to get good with it slung up sitting and prone or off the bipod or sticks. For me to get really comfortable with a hunting rig it takes 100 rounds or more from field positions, and I'm not wasting the resources on those 100 rounds until I have a load I can believe in. I never work up loads at 100 yards. I use 250 and 400. If the rifle will stay under Moa at those ranges, 100 yards will take care of itself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I was testing loads the other day, I got a 1 5/8" group with my winchester 30-30, 31141 reload. Factory federal 170 grain did 1 3/8 group on the same session. Both of those at 70 yards. Im pretty happy with that.
    Boy, I sure would be. 2 or 3in with a 30-30 will take a deer at the range the lever was designed for and that is good enough for me.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The sights on my winchester 94 arent really conducive to the best accuracy. However, im determined to use them instead of replacing them. The round front bead, and the round rear sight notch doesnt light up real good the way I like. A front sight blade and a square notch is much better for my eyes.

I have it sighted 2" high at 70, so that it'll be point blank out to 125 or 150 even. The reloads I was testing, I had 1 group that was right of the factory load, but the same height. However, the 1 5/8 group, was centered but low. Should be as easy as a sight elevation adjustment between my reload and the factory Im working with.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-17-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Master

After you achieve your greatest accuracy, there is little or no cost difference in loading good ammo or the most accurate ammo.
    The only difference is the experimentation and knowledge to develope the better loads.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123