Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 postal shoot

Boolit Master

The 2018 postal shoot

OK fellas, let’s give this a try and see how it goes. We’re gonna have ourselves a good old fashioned postal shoot! Below are a set of targets. Two of them are for rifles (or shotguns) at 50 and 100 yards. The third is for handguns at 15 yards. You can use any kind of gun you want to, with any kind of ammo you want to. You can also shoot it how you want to as long as you are the one holding and shooting the gun. Sights are also up to you. Both irons and scopes/optics are acceptable. You may practice with the targets as much as you’d like beforehand, but once you shoot to score, that is your score. Please do not shoot 50 sheets and just pick the best as your score. We’re on the honor system here.

Also, there has been several great suggestions for different classes with different requirements for this competition. If there is enough demand for them in the future, then there’s no reason not to do them. We can change the rules or targets in the future if need be too. For now, let’s keep this as simple and straight forward as possible until it gets some momentum. There will only be two targets for now. One for handguns, one for rifles. They are sized so that hopefully someone using a 45 cal does not have a massive advantage over someone using a 22 cal when it comes to scoring.

SHOOTING INSTRUCTIONS

So here’s how it works. For the RIFLE targets, use the sighting boxes to make sure that your gun is hitting where it should be. You are free to shoot into them as much or as little as you’d like. Once you are ready to shoot the scored targets, shoot each of the FIVE targets only ONCE.

For HANDGUNS, there is no sighting box and there’s only one target. Shoot the ONE target FIVE times to get your score.

SCORING INSTRUCTIONS

To score your target, simply look at which ring your shots landed in on each target and add that number up. If your round breaks the line between two rings, claim the higher numbered ring. If you get a bullseye, that is worth 10 points. If you shoot outside of the “4” ring, it’s worth 0 points. A perfect score is 50 points. Once you have scored your target, post a pic of it here along with your recorded score and the range it was shot at.

Here’s an example of how to score. The target used is a mockup of the pistol target. Rifle targets will have only one shot per target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target example.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	223466

As you can see, this target has been shot 5 times (marked in red). The scoring is as follows

#1 – 0 points since it missed the target area
    #2 – 4 points
    #3 – 8 points since it split the line between the 7 and 8 ring
    #4 – 10 points since it is a bullseye
    #5 – 7 points

The total score for this target is 29 points out of a possible 50.

Remember fellas, this is not about who wins or loses. This is about fun and challenging ourselves to do better. It doesn’t matter if you can shoot a perfect 50 every time or if you can barely keep your rounds on target. Shoot, post your results, and have fun with this great community of casters and shooters. We can all learn from each other.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION TO INCLUDE

This is purely optional but would be very useful to those who want to compare info. Below is a list of things you can add along with a pic of your target. Add what you can/want to, or just post a pic of your target if that’s as involved as you want to get.

Gun and caliber/cartridge used
    Type of sight used
    Boolit info
    Load data
    Chronographed velocity

TARGETS

100 AND 50 YARD RIFLE TARGET

Rifle Target.pdf

15 YARD HANDGUN TARGET

Handgun Target.pdf

Now get out there and shoot!

Boolit Buddy
    The rifle target, I just printed it.
    That works for scopes, but for irons sight it’s seems small
    I printed on 8.5x11 paper
    I will post results of shooting this week, thank you for getting this going
    Adam

Boolit Master
    Hoss fly Farmerville La.
    132 gr. Cast Boolits Pc Ford lt blue
    Lee 6 cav dropped @ .358 sized .3555
    Slugged @ .355/4.8 gr Hp-38
    Dillon 650
    15 yds bench CZ75 BD open sights
    No glasses Chrono 1166 fps
    Scored @ 36 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Looks like fun. I'll have to print mine on Monday. Thanks for starting it!

update: got my target printed. Now to get out there and shoot it.
    Somebody stop the rain and turn off the oven. It's 100° heat index here with 85% humidity nearly every day. I think my gun will rust in my hands before I can get off 5 shots.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 07-21-2018 at 03:54 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely bring the handgun target to the range next time I go. Probably shoot one with my M&P 9 FS and one with my Ruger LCP .380 just to see how much worse I am with the small gun

I don't currently have confidence in any of my cast rifle loads (or skills) enough to try for the 100 yard target I may try the 50 yard, we'll see.
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

Boolit Buddy
    I printed some of these off. I'll try to run out to the range tomorrow and see how I do.
    I'm going to the range on Friday with a friend and we will have a little competition with these targets.

Here is my go at it .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    15 yards standing with my M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm. Total score of 31.

Name:	postalcompetitiontarget.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	224052

Boolit Master
    I'm a little unclear: are we to fire one shot per rifle target x five targets, or five shots per one target?

Boolit Master
    5 shots at handgun target and 1 each at rifle after sighting in as many as you want to.

Boolit Master
    Another point to be clear on - this is off hand shooting? No rest allowed? I can hold pistol with both hands?

I just printed to 8.5X11 paper and at 100% the circle is 7" diameter. Printing at 105% gives the desired 7.5" Does this sound right?

Boolit Master
    The way I understand it, you can shoot any way you want as long as its you holding it and you pulling the trigger, free hand or supported, on a bench with sand bags, I wouldn’t think a lead sled would be fair for rifle tho. The hand gun target, I didn’t enlarge or measure it, just printed off some and started shooting. Haven’t done rifle yet, because still doing ladder test with the cast .223 pc boolits, and just getting them up to speed, have them up to 3150 FPS with no bad results yet. Now comes tuning with powder for accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    Another point to be clear on - this is off hand shooting? No rest allowed? I can hold pistol with both hands?

I just printed to 8.5X11 paper and at 100% the circle is 7" diameter. Printing at 105% gives the desired 7.5" Does this sound right?
    The target is supposed to print at 7.5", as that's what I have it set as on the program I made it on (Publisher). Not sure why it would print smaller.

You can shoot any way you want.

Hopefully I'll be able to post up a few of my targets soon. The heat and life keep getting in the way.

Boolit Master
    If I were to attempt this game, how would I go about getting these pictures up on here like you-guys all do? My phone is one of those types that hang on the wall in the kitchen with a wire attached to the headset. I think that maybe one of the great grandchildren might have one of those new phones that takes pictures. But if they stop by and take a picture of the shot target, what then?

Boolit Master
    Don, they would them email it to you and you could resize it and post it up here. If you'd like, you could have them email it to me with all the pertinent load info and I will gladly post it for you. Where at in MO are you? Im in the middle of St. Louis.

Some adobe print setups are set to print scale to "FIT". Chang that to "NONE". that should let it print at document size.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I've been having trouble the last cpl times trying to post pics.Have posted one or two in the past so I know it can be done,just a glitch on my part.

This is a great way,IMO to have a fun postal shoot.So am going to try to get some pics up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Don, they would them email it to you and you could resize it and post it up here. If you'd like, you could have them email it to me with all the pertinent load info and I will gladly post it for you. Where at in MO are you? Im in the middle of St. Louis.
    Well, thanks for your offer sigep1764. I will work on this project then and see what happens. First I have to print some targets. Then carefully load some selected ammo in a rifle I know will kill a bear at 400 yards (32-40 according to an old book I have). And then do some careful practice shooting at 100 yards after measuring this distance carefully. Then invite some of the grandchildren over!

I want to play I just need my wife to slow down long enough to print the targets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring, sound like a fun event we can all participate in. I'll get a target posted this weekend.

Name:	20180806_072358.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	225197
    I finally got this posted
    38 points
    15 yds 240gr lswc 44 magnum 6,8gr unique
    Last edited by NC_JEFF; 08-08-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast