Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Does this make any sense?!?!

Boolit Master

Does this make any sense?!?!

So I’ve been on a quest to get the Lee 312-155 boolit has checked and lubed with Felix lube sized to .310 over some H110 to shoot accurately out of my 300AAC AR-15. It’s a palmetto state with an adjustable gas block but nothing fancy really. I knew going in that accuracy of the gun might not be very good unless I replaced the barrel but I figured why not try to get it as accurate as possible with this load and see what I can squeeze out of it.

So I did the normal load development and came to the conclusion that 16grains was giving me my best accuracy at .86” at 50 yards. Not terrible for a $600 gun but could be better. Well I have been using the magical felix lube for my 45’s and used it for these as well and thought that maybe a different lube might be better. Well I inherited what I suspect to be some Ben’s red from my father in law and I sized my boolits and hand lubed them. Wouldn’t you know my groups shrunk to .62” at 50 yards. That was an average of 5 groups of 5 rounds.

Could Ben’s red be better in rifles than Felix lube? Is it possible? I should mention that the suspect lube is much softer and that could be the reason for the accuracy gain.

I believe you'll find the temp. range of Ben's Red and also BLL lube hard to beat too. I use both in my rifles year round with no problems in heat or cold.

In all fairness though, Felix lube is a good one too and might just need just a slight adjustment to the powder charge to cut the group size down. Sounds like you've already done that with your Felix lube though and found the same thing I found years ago... Ben's lubes are hard to beat! Jmho

Boolit Master

Yah I can’t explain it but in the work ups my two best groups with thebfelix lube were at 14 & 16 grains. The groups didn’t get much bigger at 16.5 but I started getting pressure signs at 17 so I backed it off and settled at 16. I’ll do more refinement later and really narrow it in with my alloy and powder mix.

Boolit Master

Different lubes wont fix a 2 moa group. They can shave a bit or add a bit. I use Bens Red aswell in eveeything but 30-30. Odd things happen in the 30-30. I got test rounds of SL-68B loaded up in all my riffle rounds when i get arount to shooting them.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~