WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long(ish) range mold suggestions

Boolit Buddy

Long(ish) range mold suggestions

I'm shooting this Encore pistol in 357 magnum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encore.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	354.6 KB 
ID:	223446

With 14.0 grains of H110 and a very blunt 200 grainer from Accurate molds it averages 1.6 inch at 100 yards off a bipod. This load is probably a touch over 1500 ft/s. Gun has new forend and grip and should do better off of bags and some additional load and alloy development. Load development has been very minimal so there are likely gains to be made and I've only tested 2 hardnesses so far with this load so there are likely gains to be made there as well.
    This bullet works well but as I said it is very blunt. Meplat is 0.29

I want a bullet that is likely to perform at 200 yards. Strictly a paper punching proposition. I got that other mold primarily for hunting this fall.

Anyway, if you were going to go long with a 357 magnum that can handle tons of pressure and where OAL is a nonissue what mold would you choose and why?

Boolit Buddy
    Bump.

Boolit Master
    I would look at the bullets the BPCR guys are using, and try to emulate that. I mean, they are cast shooters, and fall within the velocity of your loads, and they shoot 200yds and beyond.
    I'm thinking of a postell nose or money nose shape, shallow grease grooves located aft on the body.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I would look at the bullets the BPCR guys are using, and try to emulate that. I mean, they are cast shooters, and fall within the velocity of your loads, and they shoot 200yds and beyond.
    I'm thinking of a postell nose or money nose shape, shallow grease grooves located aft on the body.
    Appreciate the input. I looked around briefly for black powder type molds. I believe I get what you mean regarding shape and such. Only hangup is all avail in 35 cal are MONSTROUSLY big. Far too long for my 16 twist.
    I imagine I could design one on Mountain Molds site. Maybe

Boolit Master

JD Jones designed a 220ish grain truncated cone that shoots real well in the 357 Maximum.
    Maybe Accurate or Mountain Molds can cut one similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 357Max217SSK-998.jpg  

Boolit Master

The RCBS 180SIL has been the 'gold standard' for .35 cal. TCs for a long, long time. Back in my IHMSA days, I shot it in both the .357 Mag and .357 Max and knew a couple fellows who shot it in the .35 Rem.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    The RCBS 180SIL has been the 'gold standard' for .35 cal. TCs for a long, long time. Back in my IHMSA days, I shot it in both the .357 Mag and .357 Max and knew a couple fellows who shot it in the .35 Rem.

Bill
    I've heard great things about that bullet. Did you or anyone you know test it against heavier bullets like the Rcbs 200? The 200 is already an attractive option because of its slightly higher bc and shorter bearing surfce. This all based on the Noe version drawings. With the shorter distance to the crimp groove, I could theoretically run it as fast as the lighter 180. Haven't tested that obviously as I own neither.
    All that being said though, does the 180s accuracy trump all that?

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	223515I have these 2 heavies right now. One on the right is a 200 by Accurate and the one on the left is the Lee version of the Rcbs 200. Both come in right around 200 with my alloy. I haven't tried that Lee at long range. I despise casting it. Very difficult to cast with. The gas check shanks are too big also. Even annealed gas checks are a chore to get on.

According to the Noe drawings, the RCBS 180 is 195ish grains and the RCBS 200 is around 214. So the LEE copy isn't quite the same

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    That actually looks like it would have definitely potential!

I believe it could possibly stabilize in a 16 twist as well.

I tried a 225 that would've stsbilize and a 246 that did. Both were longer than that one.
    It would be a gamble.

Anyone ever tried this bullet in a 16 twist?

Boolit Buddy
    Nose is pretty fat pretty far forward. Might have to nose size it a bit to chamber.
    Not sure of precise dimensions of my chamber at the moment

Boolit Grand Master

I strongly suggest you go over to MountianMolds website and play around. You may be surprised at what you can accomplish. Dan is very good at giving advise when you can be as specific about your wants as you are.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    That program is good fun. Spent alot of time on there but never pulled the trigger.

Boolit Master
    The 180 grgc sil rcbs works well in my trapper out to 200 yards ,drops a fair bit by then !

Boolit Buddy
    My main question about the rcbs 180 is whether people use it because it's the best option or just the best option that maintains standard overall length.

Boolit Master

"Best option" could include a lot of variables. For my purposes (IHMSA and NRA Hunter Pistol) the 180SIL was, in my mind, the best available mold at the time. It performed well in both .357 barrels for the Contender and I could shoot it in my .357 BH. My main issues, at the time, were (1) accuracy in the TC, (2) availability of the mold, and (3) suitability for dropping 200M rams.

On the other hand, with today's availability of custom and semi-custom molds, I'd probably go with NOE's 360-180FN or, maybe, have Jared at Arsenal cut a 360-190RF without lube grooves because I PC almost everything I cast these days.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Lyman 358315
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...nose-gas-check

Why?? Good profile, good BC, good accuracy, just what you wanted.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely worthy suggestions by all. Much thanks.
    I need to run some numbers and see how much rainbow Im willing to accept at 200. Obviously the very heavy bullets will have alot more drop by 200 unless their bc is so insanely high that it offsets their lower initial velocity. I really doubt that is possible within 200 yards. An accurate 180 might best a super heavy 230. Wind I guess would be the real test as for known distance shooting drop isn't much concern.

One wrinkle actually is the overhead barriers at the range I use. I believe at 200 I'd be safe. 300 is a definite no go. The trajectory apex would likely put the round into the barriers. They also have to authorize the chambering you use on the 200 and 300. It's actually questionable that theyd even let me shoot at 357 on their 200 yard lanes. Might have to show up with a ballistic chart ready in my notebook to talk them into it.

I actually love that they have so many rules there. Keeps the dumb***** out.

Boolit Master

Looking at some (very!) old range notes, it looks like the RCBS 180SIL, launched at just over 1300 FPS from a 10" Contender (100M zero) should hit around 36" low at 200M.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    I BELIEVE I could safely push that 180 to over 1600 out of my 16 inch barrel. I have the 200 clocked at over 1400 with 13 grains H110. But I'm currently running 14 grains with excellent accuracy. Haven't been able to check the speed of it with 14 yet but I recon it's around 1500 or so.
    Not really practical at my range to set up an optical chronograph and if I could I'd still need mounted lights which I don't currently have. Radar or magnetic chrono would be better but they are pricey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast