WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buy 1 oz. (or larger) silver bars for physical possession

Boolit Master

Much good advice here; pre 64 dimes by the bag every time we get a little “ahead money” some rounds and bars; silver dollars are also good as an investment with a true real definable trade value. It was during the dark and bleak days of early 2009; and the 2nd Great Depression was in full swing; 1 in every 7 houses in the country was somewhere in the forclouser process; anyhow I had built quite a collection of 1930s-40 quarters ; even selling them at spot price which was way over what I’d payed for them, payed property taxes and bought groceries and filled both vehicles and several cans of gas and had the $200 bucks for daughters dance class and recital, and a bit of pocket money, the ship I sold to made a mint but we were in a bind and we don’t beg borrow or steal.

Boolit Master
    Not sure where you guys got the impression about bars being difficult to sell. I been buying them since the early 1980’s and never had any issues selling them. And that includes person to person sales as well.
    My sale price was always spot plus $1 per ounce. But the few times I sold back to the company I bought them from it was for spot only.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Not sure where you guys got the impression about bars being difficult to sell. I been buying them since the early 1980’s and never had any issues selling them. And that includes person to person sales as well.
    My sale price was always spot plus $1 per ounce. But the few times I sold back to the company I bought them from it was for spot only.
    Well you must have an HONEST face! I would never pay more than -75% of spot price for unknown personal silver bars. I do not care what the stamps on the bars say! I have had the opportunity at swap meets ,but I passed all those opportunities by!!!! With no 2nd thoughts.

Bars can be anything, including pewter/Sn which emulate the weight and look and feel of silver. That has always has been the “proof” test of silver and gold! I have a gold testing kit and it is reliable.

US old minted coins are ALWAYS reliable and reputable. Espceially in SHTF scenarios.

My full-throated acclaim is for ONLY old US silver & gold coins.......NOT silver/gold bars!

And this is from over 30 years of experience in the precious metals trading markets.

Bangerjim

Boolit Master

Silver is overpriced, a ripoff. I was paying less than $4/oz back in the 90’s. I won’t touch the stuff until it gets back to that !

Junk silver is still expensive, but does have a face, of sorts , value.

Boolit Master
    It’s just as easy to counterfeit a coin as it is a bar.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    it is easy to sell NOW, but if everything falls apart they will be hard to sell for groceries.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    it is easy to sell NOW, but if everything falls apart they will be hard to sell for groceries.
    If everything falls apart, food and shelter will be the important things to have and the guys with the guns and the ammo will have all of the food and shelter they want.

Some 4 years ago being flush with cash from early inheritance I bought a bunch of silver.

Paid 14 to 14.50$ per ounce for most of mine.

I have an assortment but the majority of mine are 1 oz silver rounds in a variety of patterns.
    All .999 fine silver.

I bought mine from Provident as they had reasonable prices and half the shipping of the other places I checked.

Most of mine I used paypal, and I would buy as many 1oz rounds as I could get for under 500$.
    Most days I would buy 1 or 2 of those 500$ orders.

All transactions were small enough not to be reported. The vast majority are packed 20 to the stack in a square plastic tube.

Most of that stash is in the bottom of a big crock, covered with skeins of knitting yarn.

Its not going anywhere.

We did also buy a few rather large boxes of nickles, and a fair amount of "junk" silver.

The only problem with the US minted pre 64 silver is that it is 90% not 99.999 pure.

So it takes 11 dimes to make an ounce. Still in a SHTF scenario it might keep us in eggs and milk for a bit while things sort themselves out.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'd rather invest in lead bars...a safer bet.

Before I bought gold or silver I'd just just keep my money piled up a cd or savings account. Savings bonds need to come back! I remember started buying them every payday in the early 90's. Never kept any to the double value maturity. I have a couple if 1oz silver coins laying around that couldn't get rid of for a pack of gum.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-09-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I'd rather invest in lead bars...a safer bet.

Before I bought gold or silver I'd just just keep my money piled up a cd or savings account. Savings bonds need to come back! I remember started buying them every payday in the early 90's. Never kept any to the double value maturity. I have a couple if 1oz silver coins laying around that couldn't get rid of for a pack of gum.
    One troy ounce of gold is worth around $1,300. One avoirdupois pound of Pb is worth around a buck. I rest my case.

Gold has always been the world’s accepted money. Lead........for bullets? I don’t think so! No comparison.

Those 1oz coins, if legitimate 99.9 silver are worth a significant amount today! I would rather have 100# of 99.9 silver than 100# of pure lead any day!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have come into some unexpected dollars and I want to put the money away. I don't need any more guns (yeah...right )
    Does anyone make plain and simple 1 ounce silver bars, or 6 oz or 1 lb or whatever size?
    Gold would work too but there is probably more upside potential with silver bars.
    I am not interested in coins. I don't want to pay for someone else's design and production. I just want plain old silver or gold.
    I also will take physical possession.
    Any help is appreciated.

American Silver Eagle 1 oz rounds. US Government minted and widely recognized. Generic bars and you run into purity questions if you try to sell...

Boolit Master
    To the OP, I think you have been given some good advice. Buy known brands of silver bars and rounds. I'd stay away from Billy Bobs mint bars and rounds because as mentioned they could be made from about anything. I'd also seriously consider US coins. I'm not a coin collector so I couldn't care less about rare dates that carry a premium price. Common date coins aren't worth counterfeiting, and only command a small premium over spot price. If/when the shtf I think it will be a lot easier to trade a known coin for something you need. When I buy "junk" silver, I look up the current melt price and won't pay too much over melt for any coins I buy.

APMEX or Kitco

Boolit Grand Master

I buy silver bullion specifically US Eagles or Canadian Maple Leafs. No question as to the source or purity. A couple of companies I deal with include MGM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Well you must have an HONEST face! I would never pay more than -75% of spot price for unknown personal silver bars. I do not care what the stamps on the bars say! I have had the opportunity at swap meets ,but I passed all those opportunities by!!!! With no 2nd thoughts.

Bars can be anything, including pewter/Sn which emulate the weight and look and feel of silver. That has always has been the “proof” test of silver and gold! I have a gold testing kit and it is reliable.

US old minted coins are ALWAYS reliable and reputable. Espceially in SHTF scenarios.

My full-throated acclaim is for ONLY old US silver & gold coins.......NOT silver/gold bars!

And this is from over 30 years of experience in the precious metals trading markets.

Bangerjim
    Can you share with us some of your experiences finding counterfeit 1oz bars or rounds?

Boolit Buddy
    A point to consider is the tax implications of legal tender coins v's bullion.
    Lead was a better investment for me. Better than silver or gold. Lead was for free or 6 to 7 cents per pound a few years back, and is now around $1.00 per lb. Gold was at $700 per oz, and is now only 1250per oz. I picked up silver at $8.00 per oz, and its now only 16.00 per oz, and thats not the sell price. Silver and gold have been poor performers related to inflation.

Boolit Grand Master

Coins usually cost a premium over spot related to the grade and number struck. There is also always the unknown factor of how many have been melted.
    Silver rounds and bars of recognized source cost only a stated value over spot.
    The speculation in collector coins can be excessive and in an emergency, won't bring a return premium.
    As far as counterfeit coins, rounds, bars, paper money, and stocks, nothing is impossible and all are suspect. Before investing, make yourself knowledgeable. Don't allow emotions or a quick deal cause you to be foolish.
    A real asset in your hand is always worth way more than a figure written on paper.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Can you share with us some of your experiences finding counterfeit 1oz bars or rounds?
    Just as I said in the post: "I do not care what the stamps on the bars say! I have had the opportunity at swap meets ,but I passed all those opportunities by!!!! With no 2nd thoughts."

I have seen "questionable" precious metals bars at big swap meets in the past. Just played looky-loo and walked on. If the sellers had OLD US silver quarters and half dollars, then I would be interested. Would be darned hard to fake US quarters and half dollars, especially the smooth wear the have! Besides being a federal crime! Casting "silver colored metals" in small bars is something anyone can do in their basement. We do it all the time!

I just would not trust anyone, except a certified authorized registered broker, to buy REAL 99.9 silver bullion bars from.

And as far as buying lead as an investment???????? When was the last time you tried to buy a loaf of bread with a bar of Pb? Or sell it (ON HERE ONLY!!!) for a little more than pocket change. One (old) $20 gold piece will bring over $1,300 many places around me. Now that is an investment that has real value. I sure would hate to haul around 1,300# of Pb bars. And the majority of people in this country do NOT want Pb bars! We on here are a fraction of a fraction of a tiny minority of the general population.

If one feels the "warm fuzzies" by having a ton or two of simple Pb bars squirrelled away, fine. I have a ton or two of Pb also, but do not ever consider it an investment. It is just simple feed-stock for one of my hobbies......just like the 900+ board feet of 6-4 prime black walnut I have stored high and dry. It also is worth a lot, but I could not directly buy food or clothing with it. (most people in America gave up the barter system of daily commerce hundreds of years ago. Well, mabe there are some of those preppers out there that think they can survive with a campfire, a boolit mold, a few bars of Pb and a gun during a SHTF event.)

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Get casting grain.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast