Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buy 1 oz. (or larger) silver bars for physical possession

What Loyd said is a better explanation of my silver might by soup but only if there is soup for sale, the can of soup I put in the pantry will insure I have soup.

I would only worry about sinking money into precious metals if all my real world financial uses for the money were already addressed. If I want to insure food then stock the pantry, same for toilet paper, or ammo, or components or.... Even dental or medical costs could fit in that category. Recall the tooth that was sensitive when Tom Hanks left on his trip? Yeah when his stuff hit the fan that tooth he was going to get looked at darn near killed him.

If you weld how much rod do you keep on hand? Case of oil for the generator and chain saw? Or just a single 1/2 bottle left from your last oil change? Boots or shoes? Jackets and sweatshirt and sweaters. Whole lot of these items get more expensive with time, and extremely valuable if times are tough. Bunch of pretty metal would be really low on my list. Below better Kerosene heater and spare wick to go with another 5 gallon can of kerosene in the shed. I use it in the winter and having it on hand means I can keep the enough of the house above freezing to protect the pipes and be comfortable in a power outage. Or pile of pretty metal. Hmmm. Take care of needs before investments.

Scrap dealers will melt your whole batch of precious metal into one bar. Drill a sample and pay on the sample. At least that was what they did for a friend who took a batch down to Tenn. Him a dog, a shotgun in a motor home.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

PM's are a PART of being prepared. IF we see a SHTF situation within a year people will start to form communities again and trade will resume. Will has eggs and needs wheat, Bob has wheat but doesn't need eggs, John needs eggs and has silver. John buys the eggs with silver, will turns around and uses it to buy the wheat, Bob uses the silver later on to buy beef...

Barter cannot be a complete economy, some form of currency will arise...

Banned

Barter cannot be a complete economy, some form of currency will arise...
    As long as the factorys that use silver aren't up and running what good is it. Acient civilizations liked it for jewlry but it was free for the taking out of the ground and most already had food and other staples. Id still bet a 100 556 shells or 22 shells, toilet paper food medical supplys ect are going to buy you a lot more then a chunk of shiny metal.

Your silver and gold might be worth something again 20 years down the line but I doubt to many I a shtf situation are to conserned about shinny and will probably get a good education as to how frivolous it really is. I just don't see a lot of people who at that time are going to be conserned with wealth 20 years down the line.

I know if I had a case of rice and didn't know when or if I could get more a 5 lb bar of gold wouldn't buy one single bag. If I had a farm and needed gas or diesel to plow my fields to make the next batch of food that gas would be worth more then its weight in Gold. People think they have to have Gold so that when industry starts again and needs it where its really needed will have to buy from you. Bottom line is the gold that was in storage is still going to be available. Just look at how much gold is stored and how much is actually used for things other then jewelry throughout history and you will see how little need we really have for it.

I sure can live without gold. I sure cant without food and water. Personaly I think all this hub bub about keeping gold for shtf is just a ploy by the people that have it to keep prices up. In a true shtf situation walmarts grocery store is going to be in much more danger then fort knox. Gold might be worth more then paper money if shtf but then paper money is going to be poor fire starter and poor toilet paper.

Also keep in mind if the economy and the government start to make a comeback that during the depression they confiscated gold from the citizens and made it illegal to own and replace it with promissory notes. So if you have some youd better trade off some for some ammo because there probably coming for it. We will see then what value people put in it. Will it they be willing to die to keep it or will they save there bullets for when someone comes for that rice.

Bottom line is im going to go into a shtf situation with the only gold I have on my finger. I do have a LOT of ammo though and if things look like they might improve in the future I might part with a bit of ammo for a lot of gold. Those will be the smart ones. the ones that pick it up for about nothing because it wont buy a thing. Not the ones that buy it at 1200 bucks an once to swap for a box of ammo. Maybe in 20 years they will be the rich ones. I look at it logically. Whos more intelligent? The person who pays 1200 dollars for a piece of shinny metal that might buy a couple cans of food or a box of ammo or the person who buys 1200 dollars worth of food and ammo and gets 120,000 dollars worth of gold for it.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-14-2018 at 06:22 AM.

Boolit Master

Id still bet a 100 556 shells or 22 shells, toilet paper food medical supplys ect are going to buy you a lot more then a chunk of shiny metal.

as soon as you trade those they will be coming back at you, just the lead part, and then all your supplies will be taken. any body that says silver and gold have no place in a shtf situation has not studied history. I will have plenty of food to sell in a shtf situation but I will only take gold or silver, you can have the paper money.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I could care less about buying precious metal for when shtf situations. I buy it as an investment and hope to make money in the process.
    East Tennessee

Banned

now that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I could care less about buying precious metal for when shtf situations. I buy it as an investment and hope to make money in the process.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    We only bought gold for investment porposes, not to sell. Same with the many various stocks we own, Never sell, always buy good ones that pay dividends. One can live off dividends if you own the RIGHT good stocks and have enough of them. Trust me!

Bingo! That is how monetary security works.

Do your research on stocks and metals B4 ever buying anything. And plan on holding them! I have many stock purchased years ago at $7-20/share that are now worth 80-100X or more that value...if I would ever sell. But why? And pay cap gains? It is there if we ever need it.

If one is looking at doing the same thing with metals.....better find another hobby. It ain’t gonna happen.

Bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

In a true SHTF situation everyone will have to determine what has value to them. I don’t drink so booze has no value outside of wound sterilization. And w/ how cheap isopropyl alcohol is I can stock that in large quantities to have on hand. So while someone might no want silver or gold there will be plenty that will accept it. It’s inevitable a form of currency will be established. We’ve been using them for thousands of years.

Outside of a meteor impact or Yellowstone eruption I don’t ever see this type of scenario happening. I’ve seen plenty of countries fall in my short life. None of them have gone back far enough that there wasn’t an accepted form of currency.

All that glitters is not gold and all that shines is not silver. Buy from a reputable dealer with a good reputation.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Beware of fleabay! I was looking around and came across some very cheap 'silver' dollars but noticed that it was coming from China, so I took another look at the pics and notice that " In god we trust" was spelled trvst! Easy to spot and found multiple sellers of them even here in the US and selling for a real price.

I have quite a bit of silver stored up, most in old coins and 99.9 rounds a few bars, but all and I mean ALL the rounds and bars were bought from well known sellers.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    eBay has been cracking down on fakes for years, but sellers are even marking stuff, in small print, as reproductions or plated but people buy them as if they were silver at a good price. Don’t be that guy.

Boolit Master
    most of my silver is US and Canadian coins,better safe than sorry

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    In a true SHTF situation everyone will have to determine what has value to them. I don’t drink so booze has no value outside of wound sterilization. And w/ how cheap isopropyl alcohol is I can stock that in large quantities to have on hand. So while someone might no want silver or gold there will be plenty that will accept it. It’s inevitable a form of currency will be established. We’ve been using them for thousands of years.

Outside of a meteor impact or Yellowstone eruption I don’t ever see this type of scenario happening. I’ve seen plenty of countries fall in my short life. None of them have gone back far enough that there wasn’t an accepted form of currency.
    There is a little thing called a “GAMMA RAY BURST” that could wipe out the entire planet’s electric infrastructure in a blink of an eye! THAT is what you should be worried about.....not Yellowstone’s farting. Or a meteor strike. A burst is totally non-detectable due to the fact gamma rays travel at the speed of light! We won’ t know one is comming until it has past us.Happened back in the 1880’s and wiped out all the telephone lines. Think how we have evolved since 1880!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have just been darned lucky up to now!!!!

Bangerjim

Moderator Emeritus

The 1880 event was a sun flare, we now have 4 satellites watching the sun from all angles... It takes 24-48 hours for the coronal mass ejection to reach us and do damage. The initial radio burst is not strong enough to cause damage.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    There is a little thing called a “GAMMA RAY BURST” that could wipe out the entire planet’s electric infrastructure in a blink of an eye! THAT is what you should be worried about.....not Yellowstone’s farting. Or a meteor strike. A burst is totally non-detectable due to the fact gamma rays travel at the speed of light! We won’ t know one is comming until it has past us.Happened back in the 1880’s and wiped out all the telephone lines. Think how we have evolved since 1880!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have just been darned lucky up to now!!!!

Bangerjim
    The 1880s event was not a gamma ray burst as Mary has pointed out. I could list other events than the two I mentioned. My point is that it’s going to take a large scale natural disaster to knock us back hundreds of years. We won’t see a meteor coming just like the gamma ray bursts. There may be some warning that Yellowstone will erupt. It’s not a matter of if, but when. Regardless I don’t live my days worrying about any of these events. I’m of the mind that it’s better to be one of the ones killed instantly then live through the fallout.

Boolit Grand Master

If SHTF all the silver and gold on the planet won't buy you a loaf of bread, it sure won't buy any from me. When your trying to eat to stay alive a bag of diamonds is not tasty and only a fool would trade his away his food for some. It's like those idiots in New Orleans days after Katrina. No power, no food, floods and they were running out of WalMarts carrying big screen tv's.

I buy US or Canadian silver as a hedge against inflation as those are recognized for purity and weight.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    If SHTF all the silver and gold on the planet won't buy you a loaf of bread, it sure won't buy any from me. When your trying to eat to stay alive a bag of diamonds is not tasty and only a fool would trade his away his food for some. It's like those idiots in New Orleans days after Katrina. No power, no food, floods and they were running out of WalMarts carrying big screen tv's.

I buy US or Canadian silver as a hedge against inflation as those are recognized for purity and weight.
    You surely might be right, with your thoughts conveyed in your first sentence.

>>>BUT, you also give evidence to the contrary...meaning, I'd bet dollars to donuts that if that TV thief also grabbed a bag of Cheetos and a loaf of Bread, that he would probably swap that loaf FOR a gold colored chain with his favorite Rapper's moniker on it. LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

you guys are thinking on too small a scale as to what gold or silver will do if the shtf.

yes, if I only have a couple loafs of bread, I'm not taking any amount of anything for them if my family needs them.

now look at the bigger picture, I have a huge grain bin full of wheat that can be made into a million loafs of bread, do you think I need to trade for something joe blow has, highly unlikely, but if a fellow shows up with a semi and gold or silver he will leave with a load of wheat. think you will just come and take the wheat by force, hope you get the bin that was not just treated with foxtoxin for bugs.

farmer brown down the road is in debt and the bank is foreclosing, do you think the bank will take your loafs of bread to purchase his farm, doubt it, but they would take gold or silver and now you own a farm.

in Colorado they have property tax and if you don't pay they auction your land off, I bet the government will take pm's as payment and let you keep your property.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Beware of fleabay! I was looking around and came across some very cheap 'silver' dollars but noticed that it was coming from China, so I took another look at the pics and notice that " In god we trust" was spelled trvst! Easy to spot and found multiple sellers of them even here in the US and selling for a real price.

I have quite a bit of silver stored up, most in old coins and 99.9 rounds a few bars, but all and I mean ALL the rounds and bars were bought from well known sellers.
    "In God we trvst" is how the USMint made Peace dollars. I'm not sure why, but that's how trust is minted on a genuine US Peace dollar from 1921-1928 and 1934-1935.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    The 1880 event was a sun flare, we now have 4 satellites watching the sun from all angles... It takes 24-48 hours for the coronal mass ejection to reach us and do damage. The initial radio burst is not strong enough to cause damage.
    I don’t care what you call it.......GRB or a sun flare....”it” is still something we cannot control and could be a SHTF event. Flares can do extreme damage to our modern electronic infrastructure!!!!!!! And we live by our ‘gadgets” today, even if you live way out in a swamp. We just have not had one in a very long time.

Having satellites watching the sun give me very little peace of mind! Only thing those are good for is to tell us we are 24-48 hours away from the potential beginning of the end of our electronic existence. (??)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast