RepackboxTitan ReloadingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Thompson Pro Hunter 460 S&W Mag Katahdin - Optics that can hold up?

Boolit Mold

Thompson Pro Hunter 460 S&W Mag Katahdin - Optics that can hold up?

I just added a 460 S&W Mag 20" Katahdin barrel to my TC Pro hunter, and I'm looking at adding either a red dot or 4x scope that won't break the bank but wil hold up to the Recoil of the 460 S&W Mag 200 grain and some warm 45 Colt loads.

Does anyone have any experience with optics under $200 on a ProHunter Katahdin?

Boolit Master
    I'd poke around equipment exchanges and look for a used Aimpoint. I'm using a CompC3 in a $20 Vortex 30mm Low single ring for 12ga just fine. Burris Fastfire should be okay, and lighter as well. Lastly, for scopes just hunt for a deal on a Leupold 4x. I just passed up a VXIII 6x36 for $220

In Remembrance

I have the T/C Pro-hunter in .500S&W. It eats cheap scopes for lunch! I have found Tasco and Bushnell 4X fixed power scopes hold up very well. Variable power scopes do not. I have an old Weaver K-4 that has served for 40+ years on various heavy recoil rifles and it still has very reliable adjustments.

Boolit Master

I recently got the same barrel.do not put a cheap scope on it,I shoot 350gr noe boolots in it and this thing kicks HARD! I’m planning to keep the peep site on it so I don’t damage good optics.

Expect to break scopes. Get a scope with a lifetime warranty and be prepared to return it. I use Leupold, and have one at the factory being repaired now. It was on a S&W Model 629.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Expect to break scopes. Get a scope with a lifetime warranty and be prepared to return it. I use Leupold, and have one at the factory being repaired now. It was on a S&W Model 629.
    This is the way i would go too you might even look at a Leupold 2x7
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    My T/C Katahdin in .45/70 wears a Leupold 2.5x Ultralight. Leupold described it as one of their toughest scopes.

Zero issues so far shooting the same 350gr NOE boolit I use in my Guide Guns. Nice doe in the freezer last Fall.
    Last edited by Rick R; 07-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Banned
    i have a leupold 2-7x in my tc encore 24" MGM barrel in 500L and a leupold 2-7x in my tc encore 24" barrel in 444 marlin. i paid about $180 for them and they were on sale. they were about $220 give or take.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...F2733RS-174178

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    My T/C Katahdin in .45/70 wears a Leupold 2.5x Ultralight. Leupold described it as one of their toughest scopes.
    The 2.5x FX-II Ultralight is my favorite rifle scope, and I was sorely disappointed when they discontinued it. To my delight, they have returned this model to the product line. I am for sure going to get a couple more of them.

Boolit Master

I had a 3x9 Leupold on my .460 Ruger No. 1, swapped it out for a 4x12 VX-1. My buddy has an MGM .460 barrel and he uses a Leupold 3x9, neither of us has had any problems. Spend a bit extra on some real good rings, they will/can slide under recoil. If you want a real treat, try a handful of those 200 grainers that Hornady is cranking out. I shot some out of my buddies Encore, Hmmmmmmmm
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I just finished reading an article in Guns and Ammo about the newish Leupold Freedom brand of lower price range scopes. Apparently all the normal optics and toughness, and still with their great warrantee. Optics Planet may have them. GF

Boolit Master
    I put a an Aim Point on my 460 x-frame so far good to go.