PBcastcoReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 32-20 taper crimp

Boolit Master

32-20 taper crimp

I shoot a single shot 32-20 and would like to taper crimp. I have not found any one making a taper crimp die.

I thought about buying a 32acp tamer crimp die. I could put it on the surface grinder and take off some of the bottom if needed.

I know the 32-20 brass is thinner but im loading .313 bullets so that should help.

Any ideas?

Why do you need to crimp at all? Only needed for lever actions.

BTW you can usually get a pretty good taper crimp by gently running the loaded rounds into a .32-20 sizer die with the decapping stem removed. Go only until you meet resistance at first.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Why do you need to crimp at all? Only needed for lever actions.

BTW you can usually get a pretty good taper crimp by gently running the loaded rounds into a .32-20 sizer die with the decapping stem removed. Go only until you meet resistance at first.
    yes .....this.........sneak up on em with the size die

Boolit Master

A crimp can be beneficial if you're using slow burning powders to allow the bullet to stay in place just a few milliseconds to help give a more complete and cleaner burn of the powder.
    In my T/C Contender I seat the bullet out to just touching the rifling this offers the same sort of resistance as a crimp and seems to reduces the amount of unburned powder residue left in the barrel and gives a slight increase in velocity and accuracy.

But, a small, thin walled case like the 32-20 often will not last long from high velocity loads.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lee Factory Crimp die on my .32-20s, pistol and rifle. I also found a C-H Taper Crimp die in the same caliber at a Gun Show, and use that sometimes.

An inquiry to Lee or C-H ought to get you what you need.

I find a reasonable crimp, even in single shot or single loaded rifles, seems to help the accuracy a little in this caliber.

I don't crimp much since most of my loads are for single shots also. But I have found that certain calibers and guns I own shoot better with a crimp. So I never rule it out until I'm done finding the best load for a gun.

Boolit Master
    I'm loading cast bullets at lengths that don't use the crimp grove.

I have never been a fan of heavy crimp on lead bullets. I just want to lightly take out the bell in the case and just snug up the case to the bullet.

I don't like the Crimp that a roll crimp die makes

Boolit Master
    Lee factory crimp die serves me well .

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I'm loading cast bullets at lengths that don't use the crimp grove.

I have never been a fan of heavy crimp on lead bullets. I just want to lightly take out the bell in the case and just snug up the case to the bullet.

I don't like the Crimp that a roll crimp die makes
    Based on this info, I'd do as mentioned and simply use your sizing die to lightly compress the case necks after loading.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Get a Lee factory crimp die. I needed one for a swede roller that I use Hungarian brass in that is 2 mm shorter than the factory brass when it was made and for hunting I want the boolit to stay put in its travels until the hammer is dropped on it. Give them a call and see if they have one in stock, if not they can get one for you pretty quick, they can even make a custom one up for you if you want, just send them a seated case with boolit, minus of course the powder and primer and they will make one up for you that will crimp your boolit at the seating depth that you like, only about 33 bucks or so and they will send you the dummy cartridge back with the custom crimper too.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I found what I'm looking for at CH4D. They have the taper crimp die for 33 bucks.

I don't load the 32-20 hot but it seems to not like small amounts of fast powder like Unique. Just wanting some middle of the road loads that shoot accurrate. I usually shoot 50yds so as long as it punches a clean hole in paper I'm happy.

I've had good results with 2400 in the .32-20WCF. RCBS Cast Bullet manual lists 10.0 grs. of 2400 for 1537 fps, but I started down around 8.0 grs. because I am not a high speed fan. I like the 8.0 grs. of 2400 load with a 115 gr. bullet a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Lee factory crimp die serves me well .
    Ditto.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Boolit Master
    In the modern stronger single shots, with slow powder. I have seated long to engage rifling. That did more for me than crimping as far as accuracy. I run 140-165's in mine with AA#9 being my favorite go to powder.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear 2400 works well. I have only used 4227 so far.