Inline FabricationWidenersGraf & SonsRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transferring firearms after my dirt nap

Boolit Master

I've had a will for a long time and on the advice of my financial adviser have recently set up a trust. This includes power of attorney for medical and financial. I have a list of my guns with serial numbers, descriptions and accessories. The ones that I inherited or were gifted to me have that noted as well.
    I have an additional note with the will offering advice on what to do with my lead and brass stash. Don't laugh, dealing with both will be something of a job!

Boolit Master
    check if there is a auctioneer that specializes in guns. we have one nere me I already talked to him so that is one thing taken care of. he advertises on line and takes phone bids plus has his own ffl. so he does transferees right there the day of the sale.

for anyone interested it is Redding's auction service. in Gettysburg pa.

Boolit Bub
    The $$ you spend now on the revocable trust will pale in comparison to what Probate will eat up. My sister works in probate. She tells everyone she knows that the revocable trust is an I.Q. Test, unless you want the gubmit to take WAY more when you’re gone....and chance that some relative may try to do things differently than your wishes. DO IT NOW.

Another poster, in another thread, on another board, asked what he could do with his armory, in his prime, with heirs, but no heirs of the shooting persuasion. Maybe not your case, but simply "leaving them to the wife" just speaks of inconsideration. She is going to have her hands FULL with emotions, loss, loneliness, depression, insurance, paperwork, wills, attorneys, trusts, family, stocks, bonds, probate, bank accounts, credit cards, disposal of your personal effects, clothes to donate, a garage to unpack, a closet to clean out, the storage shed full of "stuff", power, water, sewer, electric bills to pay, and all the while continuing to run and keep a household for herself.

And many of you want to leave her to dispose of your guns and gear? With strangers? Strangers with guns? Does she shoot? Does she reload? Does she cast? Does she have a CLUE what you have amassed? Will she know where to go to find the right price to ask??? Will she be swept away by the Flea Market mentality of the Buying Public offing peanuts on the dollar for high value guns? Do you want HER to make these decisions at that time in her life in dealing with your absence?

I suggest that you SELL THEM NOW. Maybe a few at a time, the same way you acquired them. Sell them to the gun lovers on THIS FORUM, or another forum of your choosing. Sell them for what you PAID FOR THEM. Get your money back - or nearly so - less the fun you had in loving them though your own hands while you used these tools. Do not leave your guns to be sold to just "anybody" after your death. SELL THEM TO US. WE LOVE GUNS (and I am NOT BUYING. I am selling mine for the same reasons I am offering to you)!

Folks here can be assured to take GOOD CARE of your stuff as their newly acquired purchases. Take the money and buy the two of you a FIRST CLASS VACATION (something to talk about for the rest of your lives together), and the wife some brand new JEWELRY, and SPEND EXTRAVAGANTLY on the two of you while you are ALIVE!!! Turn your guns and gear into MONEY and SPEND, SPEND, SPEND, cause you cannot take it with you...or leave the Mrs. with a nest egg for after you are gone. She can live it up with that "guy next door" that you always wondered about.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently attended the estate auction of a shooter who had accumulated about as much stuff as I have. The guns sold for reasonable prices for the buyers (I don't know what the widow paid the auctioneer). The reloading tools, presses, some powder, a bunch of brass, bullet moulds, sizing dies, etc. sold for yard sale prices. I had to restrain myself to not bid on some tools that would have ended up being duplicates to what I already have.

One reason I was able to resist was because I've made a decision to not buy anything until I run out of it, and to not buy any more tools unless there's a good reason. Better to sell your stuff to friends at good prices for them (or give it go them if they're close friends) than to wait for strangers to buy it in box lots at your estate sale. If the auctioneer puts the box lots together you can rest assured the sizing dies to the lubrisizer will go in a box with the shotshell wads, and the MEC charge bars will go in a box with misc. pistol brass and rifle bullets.
    Last edited by higgins; 08-08-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Master

I keep reading here how much probate costs. I have been the executor of two estates. Relatively modest ones at that but I don't remember any government entity getting anything except the Chancery Court Clerk getting a small fee for registering the wills. Both cases were in Tennessee. I don't know how the laws differ in other states.

In both cases I took a 5% fee because of the time I had to take off from work and all the driving involved since the deceased were not local. The lawyer also was paid but I don't recall how much, only that I didn't consider it exorbitant.
    John
    W.TN

I have one (1) triple level tackle box that is filled with lube sizing dies, top punches, shotgun chokes, gun cleaning gear, and a plethora of small miscellaneous rifle, pistol, and reloading items. The cost of everything in that box is on a spreadsheet, which Talley is MORE than $1,000.00, Retail. I could envision in my untimely estate someone picking that whole tackle box up for $50.00 (or less). I have told the Spousal Unit that the tackle box is WORTH a whole HEAP (more than $1K) and to first look at the spreadsheets for value before she does ANYTHING in the event of my untimely death. I need to staple a printout of those spreadsheets (and those of my Inventory) to my Last Will (just in case).

I am executor of my Hunting Partner's estate, which is both a Trust (house and properties) and a lot of unspecified accounts requiring probate. The estate is already over $4K through the Court to the Probate Attorney, and the end is not yet in sight.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Being the one my Father picked to be the executor of his estate I can tell you the court is the final and only way it happens.

It all belongs to the estate. Nothing gets done without the permission of the court. His was a simple estate that took 1 1/2 years after he died. I wish he made the lawyer his executor rather than me.

It divided the family that I could not believe. NO matter what I did was wrong by them. Now family I was very close to are gone. So much for family it seems MONEY is the divider nowadays.

Sister died hating me as her baby was denied to live in gramps house with his wife and 30+ cats and ferrets. He is somewhere in drug induced dementia but who cares Now the spawn of the sister thinks nothing of us.

Let the lawyers handle it I do not care what it costs the estate it is not worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123