Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: lino type machine pot?

Boolit Mold

Lightbulb lino type machine pot?

recently bought linotype smelting pot.only came with burner and no controls.any ideas on what to do.

Boolit Master

A picture or two would help .

Banned

Boolit Buddy
    Get a PID.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes.....pictures please. Our crystal balls are cloudy of late!

Banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
    Get a PID.
    Putting a digital PID controller on a gas-fired burner device is a bit tricky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do it all the time for industral furnace installations but they have plant air to run the valves to control the gas flows.

Banger

Boolit Grand Master

You don’t need air. JCI makes a simple controller w/ a 0-10 V or 4-20mA output. But on top of that you need a regular gas valve, thermocouple, corresponding transformers, butterfly valve and modulating actuator. It’s not going to have a PID loop w/ this setup as the “magic” is in the JCI controller and it’s just trying to maintain the set temp. It’s quite a bit of money if you want to put together a modulating gas burner setup.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You don’t need air. JCI makes a simple controller w/ a 0-10 V or 4-20mA output. But on top of that you need a regular gas valve, thermocouple, corresponding transformers, butterfly valve and modulating actuator. It’s not going to have a PID loop w/ this setup as the “magic” is in the JCI controller and it’s just trying to maintain the set temp. It’s quite a bit of money if you want to put together a modulating gas burner setup.
    Most industrial gas control systems are pneumatic. Some are electric. (pneumatic meets the fire and safety codes a lot easier than electrics!) Either way you are spending waaaaay too much money for all the bits-n-pieces. I have them all for free and I do not do it!

I know what it takes to do temp control right..........I design and sell them.

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

"Linotype melting pot"? Is the unit a part of a linotype type setting machine? I operated one during my first year of college circa. 1964, and my memory fails me. I just hung ingots on a hook and chain and fed the ingot into a pot built into the back of the machine...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    "Linotype melting pot"? Is the unit a part of a linotype type setting machine? I operated one during my first year of college circa. 1964, and my memory fails me. I just hung ingots on a hook and chain and fed the ingot into a pot built into the back of the machine...
    I think the furnace in question was for recycling type slugs. The Linotype Machines had an electric pot and an electric motor and if I remember right plugged into a 120v outlet. The linotype ingots (pigs) had ears that hooked onto the chainfall that kept the casting pot full. I vaguely remember the letterpressmen melting the old slugs down and casting new ingots out back in the alley.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I have one of the old linotype machines ingot molds. The ingots weigh right around 22 pounds or so, depending on alloy...

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    There was no good way other than those ingots to feed the pot so I think most shops had molds and a "smelting furnace". I remember a pressman moaning. He ordered a pallet of linotype ingots rather than recycling slugs and the price of lino had gone to 27 cents a pound. "Can you believe it, 27 cents a pound?"
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I think the furnace in question was for recycling type slugs. The Linotype Machines had an electric pot and an electric motor and if I remember right plugged into a 120v outlet. The linotype ingots (pigs) had ears that hooked onto the chainfall that kept the casting pot full. I vaguely remember the letterpressmen melting the old slugs down and casting new ingots out back in the alley.
    This is what I think also.

Glencoe use to have two newspapers. One is still alive, the other one ended a few years after the daughter (of the original owner) passed away at 90+ years old. Anyway, they had a complete linotype setup and I got a tour when the Paper had a open house with the new owner. The linotype machine had a electric pot on the machine (for pouring lines) and a large smelter in the back room to make heavy ingots from the used lines (there was three 55 gallon barrels full of lines). I don't recall if the large smelter was gas or electric?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-11-2018 at 01:48 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Yep I remember much the same. I'd catch Heck if I let the pot run dry. Perhaps the OP is just melting linotype, calling his equipment "linotype machine pot"?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

When I was in college, I worked in the mail room of a moderate size newspaper, and the type setters were a short distance away from our shop. It was always hot in there, and noisy, but so was the mail room, where the papers came off the press. I once mentioned to one of the type setters that my Dad had a small boat and needed an anchor. When I left work that night, there were two ingots in the passenger's side floorboard of my car.

Nobody locked their cars in those days........
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.