WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Every once in a while .....

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Every once in a while .....

I stumble over an older thread .
    When that happens I'm reminded by what a great place this has been .
    It was a place where the old school knowledge of how to pour great boolits every time met the new school stepping stones to do more and more , going faster , wringing out jacketed proformance out of our cast . Each of us sharing and standing on all of the information assembled before and as it came along .

I don't know what happened .......
    Seems like we've fallen into a loop of "read the stickies" , "get the LCHB" , you can't , why would you want to , those won't do that , etc .
    Recent posts are about 60% in the Pit . It makes me sad to see a place that once helped the new guy conquer the "Ive cast hundreds of 35 and 45 cal bullets but these 30s just won't fill out" , now it's like you can only go fast if it's paperpatched or painted ..... I don't get it .....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

a lot of the knowledgeable got banned.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Many also just left .
    I hang around a little bit but a lot less than I used to .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

This is my biggest by far input of fake news.
    Without CB, I would have gone my entire life and not known some people
    think HRC is a cannibal who eats human flesh pizzas.

Once in a while I'll glean some info that makes sense.

Boolit Grand Master

If you look at the poll about bullet casters ages you will see that bullet casters are older guys. Unfortunately some of them are no longer with us. Newer guys like technology and refer to the internet vs talking to each other. I miss those days myself.

Boolit Master
    The knowledge is still right here! It can be found by anyone who takes the time and puts in the effort to do the research. It may just be that new folks have taken to heart the advice to "read the stickies"! One thing I have noticed is that I am more likely than not to spot a question I know has been asked and answered many times and I tend to skip-read the thread to see if someone has answered a query, and, if they have I just move on. It is not uncommon to come across a thread that is several years old and has been revived by someone who (obviously) came across it and had further interest.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    There are more ways to share information than just reading the threads and stickies. About a month ago I noticed a poster whose location was close to me. He had only a few posts. His published questions and comments suggested he was very new to casting. Well, says me, here's an opportunity. I threw him a PM and we started talking. Yes, he is new to casting and lacks much of what can be learned. He is also very short on hands-on experience in casting. Long story short, he will be coming to my location to hear, see and participate in casting. I get the feeling that as he learns more his enthusiasm will grow quickly and we'll have another long term member of the board. Perhaps I can pass the torch to another member of the next generation.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats very commendable of you! Thats what its all about.

Boolit Master

I had the PIT permanently removed from my search on this site, nothing but trouble. I visit this site numerous times daily looking in specific categories of interest. Good info here and as a rule VERY helpful folkes. I share my time between this site and another site dedicated to case bullets and I reap the good from both.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    a lot of the knowledgeable got banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Many also just left .
    I hang around a little bit but a lot less than I used to .
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I had the PIT permanently removed from my search on this site, nothing but trouble. I visit this site numerous times daily looking in specific categories of interest. Good info here and as a rule VERY helpful folkes. I share my time between this site and another site dedicated to case bullets and I reap the good from both.
    if anyone knows where the old guys hang out/post now, shoot me a PM. It can be our little secrete.

"Too tough to call" Harter,meaning.......

From a culture,technology,maturation standpoint.I've been casting for 40+ years,and do pretty good.But never warmed up to the internet culture?Would do research,which always included dope from this site,amongst others...... solve whatever CB issue was at hand,put my head down and move fwd. The anonymity of the web,IMO... has caught up with this site.In how it applies to your OP. Not an answer,just an observation. Folks hide behind keyboards?I will say,that in all my travels,this board has the most amt of "banned" folks of any?

Moderator Emeritus

In the past many flocked to answer so called newbie questions and the thread drift was where a lot of interaction began. There began to be some who felt there was only one true way to arrive at a situation rather than a many roads lead to Rome approach.
    Any more if someone wants to kill a 100 lb deer with a 50 S&W and is convinced they will need a hollow point most of us just let them go right on trolling.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I guess we just get weary .

I try to remind folks that Elmer used 16-1 for what eventually became the 44 mag .

Boolit Master

I enjoy this site very much. I've been reminded of a lot of stuff I'd forgotten over the years.
    I poured my first lead bullet when I was 8yrs old. I never fired factory ammo in a handgun until I went into the service. I had to give up for 10yrs for health reasons, and got back into it two years ago. My Daughter also gave her old Dad a Desktop( old one dead almost 10yrs) & tablet.

Getting back on the internet was an EDUCATION.
    I am FLABBERGASTED that young people believe you can learn everything you need to know about Reloading & Bullet Casting on the internet.
    THEY THINK RELOADING MANUALS ARE A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.
    I guess it goes along with black guns and spewing out rounds from a PROGRESSIVE Reloading Machine as fast as they pull the trigger on those black guns.
    They are almost like liberals in their approach to a different piece of information. If it doesn't match the first thing they read on the internet. It's wrong. Doesn't matter if the answer comes from someone with 50 more years of experience or not.
    You try to answer a PM you received, and are told you're wrong. I wish you could reach , ah ****, I'm wasting my time.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I hear all this,but when I shoot at the range,very ,very occasionally a young person comes over to ask about the old gun,or such.....Generally gets around to cast bullets.........the usual comment is...."Why would you bother?"..They never show any interest in casting,or reloading..........and the only question is....How much is that gun worth?.Why dont you sell it?

A fellow the other wanted a link to some information I shared ...... Crickets when I suggested old history books , The Lincoln Library of Essential Information , pre 1960 Encyclopedias ,an the National Achieves .