MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Lyman bullet lube alox vs super moly

Boolit Mold

Lyman bullet lube alox vs super moly

I had used Hodgdon ALOX lube in the past. The path of least resistance is to buy at cabelas where they stock Lyman ALOX and Super Moly. Any opinions much appreciated on one vs the other for black power with either pure lead or 1:20 bullets. I would like to avoid any more DIY than I am already into with this business.

Boolit Grand Master

for black power

I wouldn't use either for BP loads. Use SPG.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    That would carry a lot more weight if some explanation was provided.

I just found another ounce. This one is called Tamarack 50% alox and 50% beeswax.

I would like to hear opinions on the Lyman with a moly additive. Opinions with a reason.
    Last edited by fourbore; 07-08-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Both lubes you mention can cause severe fouling when when mixed with the fouling BP leaves. Most muzzle loading references will tell you that. That's why there are BP lubes and smokeless powder lubes. I know some claim differently that alox based lubes can be used with BP including Lee who recommends his LLA with BP. Over the years I have tried several smokeless lubes, including 50/50 alox/beeswax lubes and LLA, and got nothing but the predicted god awful fouling and very poor accuracy.

Try either lube you mention, if you must, but you'll save yourself some frustration using a BP lube with BP. You might note Lyman makes a separate BP lube for the reason mentioned.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-08-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    ok. I loaded 10 rounds using alox. I will not use any more or the old tube of 50/50 stuff.

I went to the Lyman website and they do have a BP lube. Since, I will have to place an internet order I get the SPG. Can you suggest a good source for something like 10 ounces? Is there a case amount for a price break.

Oh, yes and thank you for the help. it been a while since I did this. I guess I did not know as much as I though I did at the time.

Boolit Mold
    I used a yellow lubed felt wad under the bullet. Is that still considered a good idea?

Boolit Grand Master

Used to be able to order SPG in quantity from them. Might google them to see? Might check Lar's White Label BP lube out (LsStuff.com at the bottom of this page), he sells in bulk and is very reasonably priced. I use some of his other lubes and if the BP lube is as good (many attest it is) as the others then that would be my 1st choice.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

4bore, If you're inclined to make your own BP lube, google Emmert's. If not, follow Larry's advice.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the help. If nothing else SPG must be a safe choice. A random pick off the shelf at cabelas was not. I think I have a booklet from SPG someplace? I should find that and give it a good read. Or I am remembering that wrong? I placed a order for a 1/2 pound brick. Until then, I really like to do some shooting and will make do with what is on hand from back when I messed with various 45 rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Second on checking out the White labels lube

Boolit Master

Why don’t you just make some of your own, heaven knows there are many great cheap BP recipes on here. 90% of the recipes use stuff bought at Walmart. Cheaper and easier, just melt and pour in your sizer

Boolit Master
    I would use Crisco before using a 50/50 lube for black powder!

I use SPG for all my shooting of cast except where Lee Tumble Lube is preferred.
    My source for SPG is MidwayUSA. $16.99 for 8oz block.
    I started using SPG when casting.45 cal bullets for a friend who was using them in a .45/90 Sharps. After discovering that it works as good as 50/50 on gaschecked Rifle bullets, I just went solely to SPG.
    I’m very satisfied with it. Besides. It costs half what 50/50 costs.