WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Thoughts on Rossi 92 in 45 colt?

Thoughts on Rossi 92 in 45 colt?

Whats everyones thoughts, opinions on the newer Rossi 92's in 45 colt?

Been looking for a levergun the wife and son can shoot with low recoil.
    Everytime I find something decent on GB the prices skyrocket at the end of the auction, $800+, sometimes for stuff that needs work!

Seeing quite a few rossi's for around the $450-525 mark. Several keep being relisted.

Just wondering!

Banned

The Rossi M92s can be great guns. Will work out of the box, but work best when tuned. I have two and both tuned by the best SASS gunsmiths. Sweet, sweet shooters.

Banned

BTW, very strong action. Will take Ruger Only loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rossi in .44 Mag. It is a ball to shoot. When I have time I will tune it up and make it even more so.
    I would not hesitate to buy another.

Boolit Master
    I really like mine.

Boolit Master

The 92 action is the strongest out of all the pistol caliber levers. The Rossi is an econimical alternative to the winokos now being produced. The is a DVD available on slicking the up and grinding/tuning the leaf springs and he also offers reduced power ejector springs and a rear peep sight that deletes the firing pin block safety on rear of the bolt.

Note, that most Rossi's have large bores and might need a mold to drop a 455 bullet to fill the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post
    Whats everyones thoughts, opinions on the newer Rossi 92's in 45 colt?

Been looking for a levergun the wife and son can shoot with low recoil.
    Everytime I find something decent on GB the prices skyrocket at the end of the auction, $800+, sometimes for stuff that needs work!

Seeing quite a few rossi's for around the $450-525 mark. Several keep being relisted.

Just wondering!
    That is about the right price, right now.... BTW, there are no new ones being imported. Last was about a year ago. I saw advert in one of the mags last month, so maybe more soon, but nothing imminent. So if you want one, I'd be grabbing one.

Boolit Master
    I have one in 45 LC. I believe I paid about $350 for it and an additional $45 for a metal magazine follower, delete for the vile looking safety, and springs. It doesn't have the aesthetic appeal or finish of my pre-Remington Marlin 94 Cowboy Ltd, but I use the Rossi more. I had one in 38/357 and it had feeding problems, so I sold it.

Out of the box, my 45 LC was accurate and functioned correctly. The loading gate was going to bleed me out and the hammer spring was heavy. Disassembly, changing out springs (all info available on YouTube), and stoning the loading gate so it wouldn't tear up my thumb or trap rounds loading made it into a very smooth rifle indeed. I don't think $425 - $450 is unreasonable to pay for one.

Boolit Master

Thoughts on Rossi 92 in 45 colt?

For under $500 they are not bad rifles that can be made a lot better with a little TLC.

While the fit and finish on a Rossi leaves a lot to be desired, the 92 design is sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

I have one in 45 colt and have not had any problems with it. It has never shot anything except cast.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have a Rossi 38/357 and 45LC. Both are my fav’s for long guns. Accurate & reliable, they perform extremely well. The 38 all SST I have is the most accurate iron site long lever gun I shoot. I can hit just about anything at 100 yards! Better than these old failing eyes!

I have not done a SiNGLE thing to the 92’s I have. Shot perfectly rignt out of the box.

I would not hesitate buying another Rossi lever rifle!!!!!!

Bangerjim

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I the 2 I've had were quite smooth . An 84-86' and a 2013 .
    Both built on Magnum designated actions .
    The early one has a barrel band sight and forward magazine support .
    The later one had a barrel band and dovetails .
    Both are .444×.450+ .
    Chambers are interesting . They have a .482 neck but open to something like .494 in the back half . It's almost like they were cut with a 45-70 roughing reamer . I did the neck size and 303 tape bit to form brass for them .
    About brass ...... They will feed 3 Starline 45 Schofields from the mag tube , the 4th won't load in the tube .
    Neither would feed RP brass regardless of plain or nickle or bullet type , I tried 6 .
    Accuracy in both is good with straight Colts loads with 250-265 gr SWC and RNFP . 45-200 RCBS SWC if cast in WQWW and either held down to 900-950 or driven hard up like 1450 they were great .
    Supersonic loads did weird things . According to Strelok the tendency to depart line of flight between 78 and 82 yd was 1125 fps at 4000' msl and tumbling . Call it what you like but it did it with a paperpatched 430421 that cast .448 , a 452-252 , and both an OM and an NOE 454242 and at 87yd with a 452-255@ 265 gr . I attribute it to the 1-32 twist .

The later rifle is going to get a new barrel . The issue is that it has a divot in the front sight dovetail on the inside of the barrel . With that , the "generous" chamber , and having run a 20" early model the Steam Punk inspired rebarrel is a real thing for me now . We will leave a turned/milled front sight and a turned/milled magazine stud in lieu of dovetails and the barrel band will probably stay but only aesthetically .

Mechanically they are great . Within the confines of the original cartridge at least in those I had they were great . To step them up to a hunting rig compatible with your BlackHawk you'll need a little work or a little luck .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    got both the 45lc/454 casull and the 38sp/357mag love em both, rock solid platforms right outta the box.