Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 73 Winchesters

73 Winchesters

I'd like to begin a discussion on the comparison between the newest manufactured 1873 rifles as compared to the old first, second and third model 1873 rifles.

What i am looking at is the size difference, the action difference, parts interchangeability and general feel and function differences.

I have a 73 project going but may need to leap into a full shooting model complete.

How do the Italian models stack up?

Thanks all. This may not be the first discussion on this subject but seems like a good idea for a new look at these issues.

I've never owned an original (old) 1873, so can't make that comparison. I do own one each new Uberti 1873 and Miroku-made Winchester 1873, and consider both rifles to be of excellent quality. I wouldn't sell either rifle, but between the two I give the Uberti the nod for better appearance (some nice figure in the wood) and I like the front sight located on the front barrel band. Both are accurate and function well. Both are carbines, with the Uberti having a 19" barrel and the Winchester a 20" barrel. Very handy. The Uberti cost a little more than $100 more than the Winchester, but there seems to be some latitude in prices among dealers for these firearms. They mostly fall in the $1,000 to $ 1,200 range for brand new.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    I'd like to begin a discussion on the comparison between the newest manufactured 1873 rifles as compared to the old first, second and third model 1873 rifles.

What i am looking at is the size difference, the action difference, parts interchangeability and general feel and function differences.

I have a 73 project going but may need to leap into a full shooting model complete.

How do the Italian models stack up?

Thanks all. This may not be the first discussion on this subject but seems like a good idea for a new look at these issues.
    My son has an original 38/40 the action is a little tired - barrel was passable but we rebarreled it (a friend did the work for us no charge) he cut the relief notch below the chamber (where the nub projection on the bottom of the bolt runs in) - he got that misaligned somehow and the tip of that little nub was dinging into the barrel face just as the action closed - he didnt notice it and at first the rifle fed ok - but it came home to me with a broken extractor recently. I ordered a Uberti for replacement hoping that it would fit. Close but not exact - the pin hole in the Uberti extractor was more forward than the holes in the bolt - the broken extractor (I assumed was original ??) had been identical to the replacement but had been drilled for a second pin hole about a tenth inch to the rear to match the bolt. I drilled the bolt to fit the Uberti extractor (maybe need another one one day and figured Uberti might be easier to find ? After I re assembled the rifle for test it would not close the bolt over an already chambered round or do a partial feed - if I ran the rounds through the magazine it worked ok but what was happening was the bolt nub was jamming into the bottom edge of the case rim - if I wriggled the bolt it would click in place (plenty of wriggle room in it!) The extractor was also very stiff - took a little off the rear end of the extractor and restored the shape of the bolt nub as best I could - then I took a tiny bit off the end of it so it did just clear the barrel face and smoothed the whole thing out. It test fired flawless fast and slow - to really make this right means pulling the barrel and widening the clearance slot to make up for the misalignment then building up the barrel nub - not ready for that at this time but it may need to happen. Fitting the uberti extractor was not so hard - I got the pin hole right. All is left is to plug the old holes in the bolt for appearance sakes.
    FWIW - the money that is in this project so far ...... would get him half a new Uberti - that might be my choice but this young feller likes old stuff and shooting a hundred and forty year old gun is a real cool deal.

Boolit Grand Master

Parts are close but not exact. I have never measured them side by side just modified what I needed to replace.

I have an 1873 made in 1888, Nickle plated. All the parts are original. I have never owned a replica but I have done some research and seen alot of videos. Peoples reactions are mixed. Some fit an finish on some newer models arent accurate to the originals. For examples, companies polish the barrel almost more than a mirror and add so much varnish to the wood you could see yourself in it. And the wood stock fittings arent always made to perfection. People often preach the manufacturers over seas like the ones in Italy for example. I have seen videos of people receiving new (Miroku) Winchester guns out of the box with crooked sights or really ugly wood.
    Maybe not the super specific info you were looking for but just things to consider if you want to buy parts or rifles.

Boolit Man
    Mine is a Navy arms long range sportsman.. which is really just an early Ubeti with a 30" barrel and pistol grip/checkered stocks.. it is very attractive and in 44-40.. it functions perfectly and is very accurate. not sure what parts will interchange but I know I can get parts for a long time for the gun.. the wood? it is 'red' not what I wanted.. I stripped it and used old walnut stain and Tung Oil. I like it better now.

lazs

Boolit Master
    While I do not own an original I have had a chance to compare a few to my clones. While the Ubertis use modern stock finish, hot blue and chemical case colors, mechanically and dimensionally they are very close to originals. The Mirokus are nice but they have a modern safety incorporated into the bolt and the load gate is flush with the side plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I own two original 1873 Winchesters rifles (24" bbl.'s)both in 38-40, one made in 1886 and the other in 1890, and two Uberti's, an 1866 Sporting Rifle in 44-40 and an 1873 Carbine on .44 Magnum. I've also had a few other 1873 Uberti's pass through my hands. If you blindfolded me and handed me a 24" Uberti, there's no way I could tell it from a 24" Winchester, except of course the finish on a 130+ year old rifle is going to be more worn and feel different. I love the Uberti's as they're very well built and have extremely smooth actions. I swear, when you work the lever of the carbine, it feels like it's running itself.

The old ones-

The new ones-

The 1873 Miroku's are nothing more than resemblances of the original 1873's...and loose resemblances at that. One can tell them from an original 1873 at a mere glance.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Kind of like to see a Model '73 in musket configuration. Anybody have one?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I own two original 1873 Winchesters rifles (24" bbl.'s)both in 38-40, one made in 1886 and the other in 1890, and two Uberti's, an 1866 Sporting Rifle in 44-40 and an 1873 Carbine on .44 Magnum. I've also had a few other 1873 Uberti's pass through my hands. If you blindfolded me and handed me a 24" Uberti, there's no way I could tell it from a 24" Winchester, except of course the finish on a 130+ year old rifle is going to be more worn and feel different. I love the Uberti's as they're very well built and have extremely smooth actions. I swear, when you work the lever of the carbine, it feels like it's running itself.

The old ones-

The new ones-

The 1873 Miroku's are nothing more than resemblances of the original 1873's...and loose resemblances at that. One can tell them from an original 1873 at a mere glance.

35W
    Thanks, can you expound on the differences in the Miroku's and the originals please?

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Thanks, can you expound on the differences in the Miroku's and the originals please?
    Somewhere I saw a column or article that detailed the differences. I'll see if I can find it.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Thanks 35W. Like to see and read the differences.