Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Made my week at the range yesterday

Made my week at the range yesterday

Mrs. Thumbcocker and I went to the range yesterday to sight in the red dot on her Ruger 9mm carbine. While we were shooting a family set up on the bench a few down from us. There was a father and mother and a boy of about 4. The father set up a set of bags and a tricked out 10-22 rake down. The rifle had a floating fore end and an adjustable stock. Dad set up some targets at 25 yards and the boy watched. We learned that the boy's name is Merle.

Under close supervision Merle was allowed to chamber a round and shoot at target spots at the 25 yard berm. Merle had to kneel in a chair to get behind the rifle. He was wearing glasses with clip on sunglasses over them and a cammo shirt. After a few minutes I got the package of red balloons I keep in our range bag and blew up three of them. I put a small rock in each one so they wouldn't blow away. I took the balloons over to Dad and his face lit up. The balloons were placed at the 25 yard line and Merle was asked if he would like to shoot the balloons. Guess what his reply was. The balloons were duly popped by Merle. When he would make a hit he would raise his arms over his head and we would all clap and cheer.

More balloons were inflated and placed at the 100 yard line. I was very impressed with the patience both parents displayed and how well Merle listened. Merle was able to pop the biggest balloon at 100 yards after his Dad told him how to hold over just a bit. After a while Merle started to get restless and Dad suggested they take a break while Mom shot. Merle sat on the bench behind the firing line with a bag of goldfish crackers and a bottle of water.

Another group of shooters came up and Merle spoke to the lady who came up first. " Hi. I'm Merle" She replied her name was Kathy. merle then got right to business with "Wanna see my gun?"

When we packed up I went over and shook Merle's hand and told him that I had really enjoyed shooting with him.

Good day.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Very nice story .

Boolit Master

Very nice indeed!!!!
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Buddy
    Great story we need more of that and less video games!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing....it made my day!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

A great day for you, Merle and his parents and we now have another shooter for life.....GREAT.

Boolit Master

What a great day at the range! And what a good kid sired by good parents!

Boolit Master
    That’s great! Gonna pick up a pack of balloons for the range bag.

Boolit Master

That is how it is supposed to be done. I say bravo to you for adding your bit of reactionary targets. Merle's mom and dad have done it right in the way they introduced their son to the great fun of shooting. I know it takes patience and effort to make it come out right but it is certainly worth it in the end.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Outstanding!! Give the younger generation something to work with (the balloons), and we will have a new generation of shooters!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')