Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: mossberg patriot 7-08

Boolit Master

mossberg patriot 7-08

Anyone shooting cast out of this gun and caliber ? Mine tends to copper foul a bit worried that it would lead with cast! I have 500rds through the gun as I post this. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Just wondering about the condition of the bore. I've worked on brand new Rem 700's that had machine marks that caused all sorts of problems. Fire lapping followed by some hand lapping turned it into a real shooter. No question that a truly smooth bore will help out with cast. Once the surface of the bore is right, I would think it would work. Sized correct to the bore, proper lube, and speed adjusted for the rate of twist, I would think, yield a shooter. I've admired those Mossbergs. Sure look like a beautiful gun.

Boolit Master
    dont have a bore scope but this gun shoots an 11/2 at one hundred and three inches at 200 yards tried different powders and many different j word bulllets they all shoot basically the same. thinking about bedding the action to increase accuracy like to tighten groups a bit this gun has a real nice wood stock like to make it shoot better.

If you've shot this rifle a lot with handloads, then I guess they're not junk anymore. Hope it continues to work for you.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Cast bullets lead for two reasons: 1. They do not fit the throat or the bore of the rifle. 2. The bullet is being driven too fast for the alloy it is cast from.

If you want cast to shoot well from your rifle size the bullets to an ink marked slip fit in the chamber. Make up a dummy round, take a sharpie and ink the circumference of the bullet sticking out of the case. Chamber the dummy round. If there is an even removal of the ink from the bullet's sides your bullet is the right diameter. If the bullet is a bore ride (two diameter bullet) be sure that some of the largest (groove?) diameter of the bullet sticks out so that it can be tested to see if it fits the chamber's throat. If it is too small the only ink removal you will see will be from the bullet rubbing on the bottom of the chamber as it is chambered.
    Use gas checked bullets if they will be shot over 1400 fps.

Five hundred rounds of jacketed should be more than enough to smooth any slightly rough spots out of the barrel. Good Luck. Brodie