WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Traded for a H&R Buffalo classic today!

Boolit Master

Traded for a H&R Buffalo classic today!

Was in a gunshop last week and picked up ac7mm/08 Handi rifle with sling, and s 2x7 Redfield scope on it, for $160 out the door. Today I went by another small lgs that had a Buffalo classic in 45/70 on the shelf for 4 months, with no sights and a cheape scope on it. I knew the owner wanted to move it, so I bought in the 7mm/08 and asked how he would trade. He thought for a moment and said $50! I nearly broke his arm putting the money in his hand. I hit footed it home and removed the scope and base. I had a original rear peep sight and front sight that a. Customer had me take off a buffalo classic 10 years ago, he had me cut the barrel back to 26”, recrown it, and cut the stock off an inch and put a limb saver pad on it. When I asked him what he was going to do with the sights and butt plate he said I could have them! I had the rear sights pub on in a few minutes, and instead of putting on the Lyman sight for the front, I put on a globe ft with a small Brass bead. I thought it would shoot high, and I was right, it shot about 4” high with a center hold at 100 yds, but if I put the bead on the bottom of the peep arpeture, it was only about 1& 1/2 inches high! I have been on a roll lately and bought/ traded for 4 nice 45/70’s in the last 5 months. Where will this addiction lead me? Lol!

Boolit Master
    Love my Buffalo Classic. I've spent a lot of time with it and it groups remarkably well with smokeless at 100yds. You won't be sorry.

Boolit Master

Yah lucky stiff!!!

in Remebrance
    You're in a heap of trouble, boy. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

You hit the lotto twice!

Nicely done.

Banned

the buff classic was the best intro to BPCR on a mini budget,

too bad it's long gone as there's nothing out there at that price tag for someone looking to stick a toe into the game.

I use a .45-70 BC for out-of-state deer hunts; but drop a 12ga Stalker II slug barrel onto the BC frame for deer hunting here (no CF rifles allowed for hunting).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Good trade!!! Always wanted one; something else always seems to catch my fancy when I have money in hand

Moderator Emeritus
    I have the 38-55 version of the Buffalo Classic and really like it. Mine is a later version so I didnt have to ream the throat. I shoot mostly black powder through it.

Boolit Master

You are lucky.
    If I were in that situation I would still have both!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Every Buffalo Classic I've ever seen shot high when new, and even with the original receiver sight in it's lowest position it still shot 6" high at 100 yds. I put a brass base plate inletted into the wrist on mine and D&T it to mount a tang sight. That fixed the issue of not being able to zero at 100 yds., and also allowed me to shoot the gun out to much further distances than the factory receiver sight.
    They're a very nice gun, and mine shot very well. I sold it to a friend who had wanted one, but didn't get one before they stopped making them.

Boolit Master

Now that's one rifle that should be in production by someone somewhere! I know it's been discussed to death but it just seems like the H&R line should have been a money maker, I suppose the bean counters at Corporate Headquarters know more about it than me, but still????
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

My thoughts when the BC first came out were, "It's about time H&R made a good looking gun."
    Not that the others were bad looking, but with the clamor for long, heavy barreled, single shot rifles, the desire was certainly there! The only other thing I thought they forgot to do was offer a full or half octagon barrel too.
    Can you imagine how many more BC's they'd have sold if they offered them in both calibers with a full octagon barrel? They might still be making them if they had.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Now that's one rifle that should be in production by someone somewhere!
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/ To bad the barrel is only 22" though
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/ To bad the barrel is only 22" though
    Saw both models the other day at thr LGS. Very, very, nice but for $450 I'll buy a repeater. I remember when my H&R 410 sold for $60 new in the late 70's and they didn't budge much from that price until the late 80's. I bought a laminate target 223 around 93-94' for around $229 and swallowed my tounge. It was a rack driver and would shoot same hole at a 100 yards. I sold it to a buddy for next to nothing. He passed last year...at the ripe old age of 43. I wish he was around so I could buy it back from him.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-07-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have all 3 the 45-70, 38-55 and 45 colt, need to get them all to the range, been awhile.

You have to be a single shot guy, and a wood and blued steel fan to appreciate most single shot rifles. The H&R fits that area of interest, and did so at a budget price. And considering where most single shots sell at today, even the Italian guns that are affordable are still well above a nice clean used BC.
    I'm surprised with all the talk lamenting an affordable entry level single shot for BPCR type shooting, that people didn't buy more of these? But one thing I heard often from prospective buyers was the lack of a tang sight base to mount a decent long range Vernier tang sight on the BC. They could have easily added tangs to the receiver for this model and had it sell even better.

Banned

many years ago i had a pair of H&R bc's that served me well with both smokeless and bp. however, since the tang and barrel are on two different moving planes, i didn't stick on a tang vernier.