RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: New to me Renegade 50 cal (unusual markings)

Boolit Master

New to me Renegade 50 cal (unusual markings)

Was looking for a Renegade stock for hunting and my neighbor dragged this one out of his safe ,said he got it from his father and it could be had reasonable ! The 1st thing I noticed (after saying sold) was the coned barrel was that the stock had one little ding on the forearm ,that was it . Got home and going over the gun noticed a stamp in the forearm barrel channel ,RENDTCP anyone have an idea what it signifies ? It also appears to have a 1-54 twist ,reminds me of a 54 cal I owned ! The condition says little to not much use but the coned barrel tells me someone had use in mind ,but took extra nice care in cleaning !!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything is spotless but photos will not upload / Ed

Boolit Master
    That's one of the last renegades they made. A few years before T/C dropped the Renegade both the renegade and the hawken had a muzzle crown that was cut a bit like a funnel to make them easier to load they had some fancy name for it but I forget it. As for the stamp in the channel that's just a production code marking it as a renegade stock and it should be a 1 in 48" twist.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a educated guess, maybe the REN part for Renegade and the TCP for Thompson Center Percussion. Some came from the factory coned not necessarily by choice. By the condition sounds like he bought it but only shot it once or twice or even not at all which is not uncommon with M/Ls. I don't know about this one but there has been some guns with a 1-56 twist. Good find either way.
    Aim small, miss small!

Is it coned or is it counterbored?

The TC quick loading (QLA) muzzle counterbore is straight sided and flat bottomed (little shoulder at the bottom).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Is it coned or is it counterbored?

The TC quick loading (QLA) muzzle counterbore is straight sided and flat bottomed (little shoulder at the bottom).
    Flat bottomed it is ,I was wondering why the abrupt start would not be detrimental to a patch down there instead of at the muzzle ? At least you can smooth/crown at muzzle to aid seating ,or maybe just overthinking a problem that"s not there . There"s always Bob Hoyt !