Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 45-70 mold for Browning 1886 26" rifle

Boolit Mold

45-70 mold for Browning 1886 26" rifle

Have laid my hands on a Browning 1886 with 26" barrel in .45-70.
    What mold would be the one? Just for plincking, not hunting and braking my collar bone!
    So, easy loads, is there a need for gas checks?
    Was looking at a BAC mold; https://www.buffaloarms.com/459-405-...oove-jim459405 or less weight?

Whats your opinion, experience??

Thanks

Slainte

PS: Working on my 1886 40-82, have to get here going

Nice rifle you have there.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Miroku?

If so, my Browning 1886 45-70 (un altered leads) will chamber the RCBS 45-300-FN, 45-405-FN and the 45-325-FN-U molds just fine.
    Also the Saeco #017 (350 gr FNGC) chambers fine.

All these molds except the RCBS 45-325-FN-U boolit are gas checked.

I didn't have any leading with the non checked boolit, I just prefer to use gas checks in my rifles.

I have these molds (and love them both) but they will not chamber in my Browning unless I get the leade lengthened; the diameter of the ogive forward of the crimp groove is of a size, that these boolits are jammed into the rifling upon chambering. (Great in a Marlin 1895 though)

Accurate #460350B, NOE 460-350RF

Good luck & have fun.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 07-07-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Its been a long time since I had a .45-70 and I keep wondering why!

My first one was a custom converted Siamese Mauser and I started with the Lyman 457125 500 gr. round nose because that was "the" boolit for .45-70. it worked well in that rifle and I shot a lot of them.

Then I got a Marlin 1895 (in the 1970's) and loved that gun. I don't actually recall if I ever tried the 457125 in it but I did buy a Lee 405 gr. flatpoint mould and the Lyman 457124 (385 gr. RN). I wound up using that 385 gr. RN exclusively. It seemed to shoot noticeably flatter and better than the 405 gr. FP with both BP and smokeless and had noticeably less recoil. I was young and loaded hot in those days.

I always liked the .45-70 and really don't know why I didn't replace my old one (a victim of my need for money to go to school). It is an extremely versatile cartridge. If I was to get another .45-70 lever gun (which I am planning) I'd get a collar button mould for fun shooting/cheap plinking, a mould around 300/325 grs. for general shooting and one of 400 grs. +/- for hunting or longer range shooting. I really don't hunt much though so mostly plinking and paper punching for me. I'd also load lighter than I used to! BP level loads are easy to shoot and easy on the shoulder.

FWIW

Longbow

Boolit Master
    When I had an 1886 the biggest bullet that would fit/feed was a Saeco 450 gr. Could get 9 of them in the magazine