WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Why doesn't luber-sizer lube?

Boolit Master

Why doesn't luber-sizer lube?

I have a lyman 450 that is my main luber sizer and has worked great in the past. Haven't used in quite a while since I have been working of a generous supply of lubed and sized boolits. Recently decided I needed a supply of fat 30 caliber boolits. I have a supply of 311284s and 311299s that dropped at about 0.314-15 . Tried to size and lube with a RCBS 0.314 di. Sized fine but no lube. This di has one row of holes and no lube goes on the boolit. I did replace the RCBS di with a Lyman 0.313 dia di and everything works fine. I am using Lar's Carnuba Red lube. I would like to use the RCBS di for my SMLE but sizing then smearing lube on the boolit then running through the di for a second is not a very fast way to create boolits even for a bolt action rifle. Anyone have any idea what I AM DOING WRONG OR HOW TO MAKE THE SINGLE ROW DI WORK. I know I have other RCBS dies and I think they have a single row of holes. They have worked great and I haven't had this problem before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just won't try it until after this awful record heat breaks. Thank you Duckiller

Boolit Master

Have you made sure that the lube grooves on the bullet are lining up with the single row of holes when you apply pressure to the press?
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Maybe it needs to be cleaned. I bought a used die that had some kind of black lube stuck in the holes. It was very hard lube. It reminded me of cheap crayons.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    It could be that your boolit needs to go deeper into the die. However, I did find that I had a Lyman .358 die that would lube both grooves of my wc boolits, but the RCBS would not, without serious tinkering.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use both RCBS and Lyman dies. I find that the bullet must go deeper thru the RCBS die than the Lyman because of the single row of ports for the loob to travel thru. Back off the pressure on your loob and lower the bullet and add light pressure, continue making minor depth adjustments until you see loob starting to show in your grooves; keep the loob pressure light.

Boolit Master

Duckiller
    You didn't mention that you are using a heater. Carnuba Red needs a little heat and if you are not using a heater it will be difficult to lube bullets. Carnuba Red is a great lube and I use it for everything with good success.

Ken

Moderator Emeritus

Both the 311284 and 311299 are looooong boolits, I doubt you are pushing the boolits deep enough into the die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Thank everyone for the help. I always heat up my Carnuba Red , even when it is too hot outside. That was not the problem. Problem was boolit wasn't going deep enough into di. Adjusted so boolit could go deeper and everything worked just fine. Now have large long boolits that are sized and lubed. Again thank you for the help.

Boolit Master

I've learned that adjusting a luber/sizer is more of an art than a science

patience and skill--patience and skill
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place