Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Premium replacement triggers?

Boolit Master

Premium replacement triggers?

When I bought my M700 years ago it shot well enough, but I still think about replacing the trigger with something nicer. Timney, Canjar and Jewel were the big names back then.
    If you've tried some of the aftermarket triggers, what would you recommend? I'd like a drop-in but I'm not opposed to paying a gunsmith if the better ones need a professional to install them. I don't compete, just always had it my mind to upgrade.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I have put on a bunch of Jard 6oz triggers for guys and all of them like them so I put one on a mauser good trigger. I have canjar, jewel, and several others but for the price these are great triggers. Buy them direct and watch for their sale.

I am looking at a Timney Calvin Elite for mine. I should have bought it a year ago. Price went up $50.

Boolit Master

I have found that I prefer the Shilen 700 trigger over the standard Timney. Even sold my jewel and replaced it with a Shilen. Narrow shoe, but I find that I feel the narrow shoe better at 2-2.5lbs. I do like the Calvin Elites. I've been tempted to buy a CE 2stage to try out. I like the Rock River 2 stage it CMMG 2 stage triggers in the ARs.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have several timneys on all my 700's and one one my POF. I have a jard on my 600. They are all the same to me. All crisp and light. The last half dozen projects I've just polished the trigger group and removed a few coils from their springs. They turn out just as light and crisp. I can do an savage /ruger trigger in about 15 minutes and make it so light I have to turn the adjustment screw back in.

Boolit Master
    Boy, there's some mighty attractive options out there.
    Thanks, looks like I got some shopping to do!

Boolit Grand Master

I have Jewels in all my NRA match rifles. There are some very good aftermarket bench rest triggers now that will adjust down to partial ounces easily. My jewels are set between 4 5/8 lbs ( service rifles that have to hold 4 1/2 lbs) and 2 lbs all are 2 stage also.

Boolit Master
    JS-

Howdy!

For my types of shooting, I like Triggers ( M-700pattern for example ) that can operate in the low ounce range.
    For me, triggers can be sorted through by how low they can be had in “pull” wt.
    Not every vendor offers triggers that are rated say... in the 2oz - 4oz range.
    This even extends to some of those factory- adjustable triggers.
    Like the song says.... “ How low...can you go ?”

For years & years I shot a M-700 trigger converted by Ken Burns to be a 2oz.
    I then ran a rifle w/ a “ Rifle Basix “ 4oz.
    When my best friend gave me a Jewel 2oz for free, I thought then....this is the big time.

Well...my buddy drags out his new bench rest Bix N’ Andy, and let me tell ya.... that’s a trigger on a whole new plain !!!

I’ve heard Timney has a new bench rest-grade trigger out there.

So, like you said.... there’s certainly some great potential candidates out there.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master
    The more I think about it, the more I think I'd like a single set trigger.