Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Dang!

Boolit Master

Dang!

I bought a set of Lyman molds (4-banger, 358495) complete with handles, on eBay. Got them for a pretty good price, because I thought I could separate them and make a couple bucks. I've learned to check molds out before selling them, so I fired up the SAECO, loaded with my 'C' alloy, and started casting. I did maybe 20, and wasn't happy with any of them, so closed down for a mold-cleaning. Scrubbed with soap & H20, didn't do much good, so I boiled w/dish soap (couple drops) for a while. Poured the agua out, replacing w/cold agua, dried as best I could, and put them in the drying rack and turned a fan on. Got them dry, but still not to my liking, so I brought out the brake cleaner, gave a couple good sprays, scrubbed w/paper towels, scrubbed some more, and hooked up again.
    The blasted handles are very stiff, but, WOW! That mold turned out some BEAUTIFUL BOOLITS! I have another 4-banger in that boolit, and I was starting to think, 'I'll keep this one and sell my old one'. They were that purdy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3188.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	223921
    But the handles were a pain - real stiff, not wanting to swing open, slowing down production. I looked around and finally found a set that would fit. Mounted, and went to town! Man! Increased my throughput by at least 50%! Hot Dang!
    Took a break for breakfast, and some computer work, and then went back to casting 358495's. First pour, hit the sprue plate, and the handles broke!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3196.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	223920
    First time that has happened. So. Dang. Gotta decide either keep this one & sell the old one, or not - decisions, decisions, decisions.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    If those are Lee handles, they will probably replace them.

Ben

Boolit Master
    That happens a lot with Lee handles that are made from pot metal, you are better off to spend a bit more for steel handles.

Boolit Grand Master

Normally, I'd just let this go, but I hate misinformation based on nuttin'. I have 12 Lee bullet molds. Most are the two hole kind and one is a 6-banger. All the handles are steel...

I could go on about spreading ignorance on forums by those that have unwarranted, emotional dislike for inanimate objects, but it does no good to try and educate a Lee Hater...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remembrance

Back in the days that I shot A LOT of indoor PPC wadcutters I had 2 of these 4 banger molds going during a casting session. They had the `nutcracker` handles that if I could dislike anything then it would be those handles. The newer Lyman handles for these 4 holers are almost as bad.Robert

Boolit Master

For future reference on fixing stiff handles..... place handles without mould on the anvil on a vise. Tapping the bolt head with the other end on the anvil with a ball peen hammer will tighten fit. Reverse and hit bolt end where it extends through nut and it makes handles open more freely./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Normally, I'd just let this go, but I hate misinformation based on nuttin'. I have 12 Lee bullet molds. Most are the two hole kind and one is a 6-banger. All the handles are steel...

I could go on about spreading ignorance on forums by those that have unwarranted, emotional dislike for inanimate objects, but it does no good to try and educate a Lee Hater...
    I had a pair of Lee handles break recently. About 2013 vintage commercial mold handles (6 cavity handles). They were NOT steel, at least not a forged steel. The handles were not true and even. I could not get a mold to close correctly. I assumed they were steel and attempted to tweak them and square them up to be useable. I only needed about 0.025" or so to even them up.

Snapped right off and the break was rough with a heavy crystalline structure. It was a clean break...no way should a forged steel part have broken. It looked like pot metal to me.

Just saying, older lee handles may be steel. With all the metal injection molding going on these days in manufacturing, i think Lee may have changed their manufacturing process to save a buck or two.

I think I asked Lee about the construction, but cant exactly remember exactly what they said, so I wont say here what I think I was told.

I just re-read your post. I agree with you that the 2 banger molds have stamped steel handles. The picture posted by the OP was of the commercial mold handles, which I DO NOT believe are steel. But metal injection mold or some kind of cast metal.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 07-20-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

well, I can only say the handles on my 6 banger Lee mold isn't "pot metal" and I'm not going to try and break one just to prove someone wrong. 'Nuff said, let's move on...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Thanks, beagle - I'll remember - maybe... my memory got shot off in the war. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I had a pair of Lee handles break recently. About 2013 vintage commercial mold handles (6 cavity handles). They were NOT steel, at least not a forged steel. The handles were not true and even. I could not get a mold to close correctly. I assumed they were steel and attempted to tweak them and square them up to be useable. I only needed about 0.025" or so to even them up.

Snapped right off and the break was rough with a heavy crystalline structure. It was a clean break...no way should a forged steel part have broken. It looked like pot metal to me.

Just saying, older lee handles may be steel. With all the metal injection molding going on these days in manufacturing, i think Lee may have changed their manufacturing process to save a buck or two.

I think I asked Lee about the construction, but cant exactly remember exactly what they said, so I wont say here what I think I was told.

I just re-read your post. I agree with you that the 2 banger molds have stamped steel handles. The picture posted by the OP was of the commercial mold handles, which I DO NOT believe are steel. But metal injection mold or some kind of cast metal.
    Powder metalurgy - they make briquettes in the correct shape, then bake them to finish the process. Good for many things, but NOT STEEL!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

Boolit Master

These handles are probably Lee - but I tried some other Lee's, and they were too thick to fit in the handle slot. And these looked like they had been thinned so they COULD fit. I won't ask Lee to replace something that was modified for a job they weren't intended fopr...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U

I've cast 10s of thousands of bullets, all with Lee handles.
    I've broken one set of handles in the last 10 years, and that was my fault for being over zealous with the hammer to get a stuck bullet out of a damaged mold cavity. I think they are durable enough if used correctly, but I do believe they are some type of pot metal.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Lee handles are Sintered Steel. They are harder and hold shape better than mild steel. You need a good HSS or cobalt drill bit to install pins to keep the handles from slipping. I've never had a problem with them but they are more like cast iron in some respects. The fracture in the OP may have been there a while before it let go.

Auto engine connecting rods are forged from powder.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

My one and only set of Lee Commercial handles had the wooden handles slide off at first use.

I highly recommend the NOE clone of the Lee handles. More expensive, but insignificant when amortized over a lifetime.

In another note, those are some nice looking wadcutters in those pics!

Boolit Master
    Nice looking cast! I'm a sucker for a good 38 wadcutter
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I had a set of NOE handles break about 50 bullets into the first casting session. Only ones I have ever had break. I need to send them back one day. I think it was just a fluke.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    I had a set of NOE handles break about 50 bullets into the first casting session. Only ones I have ever had break. I need to send them back one day. I think it was just a fluke.
    That's surprising! Even the great ones have an off day, I guess. Where/how did they break? I have a couple sets that have been used on NOE 5 and 2 cav and their 4 pb ingot mould. Also used on a Lee 6 cav.