Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Cast Boolits Jamming on Breech Face

Boolit Grand Master

Cast Boolits Jamming on Breech Face

Currently shooting a bolt action Savage 340 in 30-30.
    Cartridges feeding from the magazine, dig into the breech face. the NOE 155 gr FP gets stuck, so does the LEE pointed .312 155 2R
    Can the breech face be chamfered safely, or do I have to single load all the loads with these boolits??

Thanks folks

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I would suggest that you look at the reloading manual and see if you are seating the bullet to a usable cartridge OAL. What is the cartridge OAL that you are using? That bullet is designed for the 7.62 x 39 (short neck)but might be a little long for the 30-30 (long neck). Then you might have to verify that the magazine is not damaged and presenting the cartridge in the correct position. I guess we can assume you have no trouble feeding factory rounds.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'd adjust your overal all length with some dummy rounds and see if they feed. I had the same issue with my ruger American 450 bushmaster. I made four various shorter length dummy rounds and three out of the four lengths fed as smooth as silk.

Boolit Master

I'd also take a dremel tool with a FELT POLISHING WHEEL with a bit of Jeweler's rouge and run it over the feed surfaces. Easy does it. And clean well afterward.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I would suggest that you look at the reloading manual and see if you are seating the bullet to a usable cartridge OAL. What is the cartridge OAL that you are using? That bullet is designed for the 7.62 x 39 (short neck)but might be a little long for the 30-30 (long neck). Then you might have to verify that the magazine is not damaged and presenting the cartridge in the correct position. I guess we can assume you have no trouble feeding factory rounds.
    The 311041 works just fine 2.55 OAL Others are the same. Right on the crimp grove.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Did a search and it seems that some rifles prefer the OAL cartridge less than the Max. Here is the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-267730.html

I think this will help you resolve the length question and the feeding issue.

Moderator Emeritus

The two different savage 340 rifles that I owned, both had issues with feeding ammo from the Magazine. I read plenty of posts in a few different forums that the 340 is notorious for magazine problems.

Anyway, new replacement magazines solved my problems. FYI, I owned a 223 and a 222...I can only assume the 30-30 may have similar issues.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The other issue I found with my bushmaster is that it wouldn't feed when doing a combo taper and roll crimp per hornadys recommendation. Taper crimp only fed fine.

Boolit Master

JonB in Glencoe is correct. I found that angle of the cartridge as it comes from the magazine is critical in my 340's and 325's. First, confirm that it correctly feeds factory ammo. If it does, then tailor your reloads to the factory configuration as far as OAL and get a new spare mag anyway just in case.

Boolit Grand Master
    One magazine works better than the other. I don't have any factory ammo. Haven't bought factory ammo other than .22 LR for decades.
    Im going to take the mag that works better and use it as a model to adjust the feed lips so it is the same, or closest as I can get, to it.

SHiloh

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

This happens on Marlin Leverguns also. It is very easy to chamfer the rear of the chamber so this doesn't happen. .040-.050 is enough and the extractor groove is about that wide so that area of the case is unsupported by the chamber in the classic sense anyway. However the web of the case fully supports the extractor groove from the inside so this will not weaken that area in the slightest.

You make an extension for your countersink and turn it by hand until you get the desired result. May take a few minutes to do. Helps to polish it a little afterwards.

I have posted this picture of my 1894 Marlin many times here. Here it is again.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com