StainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Graf & SonsInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Lyman - 12 GA Slug Making Kit

  1. #21
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    39.7594 N, 84.1917 W
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Scott,

    The slugs arrived today! They look just as good in person as the do online.

    My wheels are already tuning. I got for different wads they sit pretty in with a niitrocard or two under the slug.

    I’m thinking about filling the base with paraffin wax to keep the nitrocards and wad from pushing up in the cavity of the slug without adding a lot of weight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds good BT, I was trying to think of something that would bring the weight up about 1/8 oz, making a 1 oz load.

    Let us know what you come up with & how they shoot. - I guess those 1/2" nylon balls would be nice for this application.

    Scott
    Scott

    You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

    38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

  2. #22
    Boolit Master gpidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Beautiful Idaho
    Posts
    1,472
    dsh1106: I finally made it out to the range this morning Scott. I fired four of the swaged slugs you sent. The charge went like this. 2 3/4 Federal Gold Medal hull, Fed 209 primer, 20.1gr. International (room to go up here) 12S3 Fed wad with a .125 nitro card in the wad and the slug filled with hot glue. These were fired from a Stevens single shot break barrel with a Carlson's rifled choke. They went 5 1/2 inches center to center at forty yards. They were stable and cut a nice clean hole in the target complete with the rifling cuts around their edges. I believe they will shoot better with a better shotgun. I just got my MKA 1919 Match in and test fired it this morning with factory shells, both shot and slugs. (That gun will cycle FAST) The gun has a picatiny rail and box magazine. I'll put a Vortex Strike Fire on it and when I get it sighted I'll try the others and see if the group tightens. I got the C&H bushings in todays mail and 15 of the 19 will work in the press so that's a plus. Thanks for the help guys. Gp

  3. #23
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    39.7594 N, 84.1917 W
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    dsh1106: I finally made it out to the range this morning Scott. I fired four of the swaged slugs you sent. The charge went like this. 2 3/4 Federal Gold Medal hull, Fed 209 primer, 20.1gr. International (room to go up here) 12S3 Fed wad with a .125 nitro card in the wad and the slug filled with hot glue. These were fired from a Stevens single shot break barrel with a Carlson's rifled choke. They went 5 1/2 inches center to center at forty yards. They were stable and cut a nice clean hole in the target complete with the rifling cuts around their edges. I believe they will shoot better with a better shotgun. I just got my MKA 1919 Match in and test fired it this morning with factory shells, both shot and slugs. (That gun will cycle FAST) The gun has a picatiny rail and box magazine. I'll put a Vortex Strike Fire on it and when I get it sighted I'll try the others and see if the group tightens. I got the C&H bushings in todays mail and 15 of the 19 will work in the press so that's a plus. Thanks for the help guys. Gp
    Sounds good Gary, BTW where did you get your MKA 1919 Match at? I've been looking, the only version I can find doesn't have the picatiny rail setup, just the original "AR15" setup.

    Scott
    Scott

    You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

    38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

  4. #24
    Boolit Master gpidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Beautiful Idaho
    Posts
    1,472
    Scott: I bought the MKA from Bud's. I didn't go the extra $40 for the fancy hand guards the base model has a nice long single rail on top. I'm not a fan of hanging extra Tacticool B.S. off every available side of a firearm. The first rendition of these had a very poor rep. but with just a few rounds fired so far I'm happy with it. Not that it's needed, but it cycles even faster than my Berretta 391 Urika. Wish I could find a rifled barrel for the 391. I love that shotgun. Gp Edit: I should have mentioned that the AR style carry handle sight and the front sight (fake gas block) are plastic and both remove very easily leaving just a long top rail.
    Last edited by gpidaho; 07-27-2018 at 09:08 PM.

  5. #25
    Boolit Buddy Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    850
    I plan on running these through two different rifled slug guns through 4 different wads. Or should I stay with a smoothbore?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    39.7594 N, 84.1917 W
    Posts
    433
    I'd like to see what happens out of both.

    BT, if you need more of them let me know and I'll get some made up and sent out to you.

    Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 08-06-2018 at 05:57 PM.
    Scott

    You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

    38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

  7. #27
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    39.7594 N, 84.1917 W
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I plan on running these through two different rifled slug guns through 4 different wads. Or should I stay with a smoothbore?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    BT

    Did you get a chance to run any of these through your gun?

    Scott
    Scott

    You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

    38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

  8. #28
    Boolit Buddy Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    850
    I plan on making one last trip to the range before bow season starts, prolly next Friday.

  9. #29
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    39.7594 N, 84.1917 W
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I plan on making one last trip to the range before bow season starts, prolly next Friday.
    Awesome !!

    Please post up the builds as well as the results, I'm hopeful these will work.

    Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

    You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

    38 Super - DOB 02/06
    Commander - DOB 02/12
    Delta Elite - DOB - 1989

  10. #30
    I have made myself a sizer die for the Lyman Foster Slug from surplus reloading items. I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die body for the first size and thereafter I use a body of a Lee Ram Prime which were cut to size. The system size the slug to fit perfectly in the shot cup. The push rod is from the Lee Ram Prime. I have used RCBS Case Lube II before pushing the slug through the sizer die. The slug and cup on the left side is not sized. The one on the right is sized and fits perfectly in the cup. Accuracy is reasonable at 50 meters.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-09-371.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	227294

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check