Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners PBcastco

Thread: Any TCR 83/87 shooters on here

Boolit Bub

Any TCR 83/87 shooters on here

After years of contenders and Encores sold all but one G2 now I have a nice collection of TCR 83/87 really love that rifle although you have to hunt really hard to find the extra barrels always looking for extra barrels although the ones I have I could kill anything I wonted too
    Deaconllb

Boolit Master

For the longest time it was my #1 Grail gun...

One day I had one in my hands, in 243 which is exactly the caliber I wanted it in... It was a 87 too two triggers and beautiful wood.

I was not able to purchase, I mean because of the rules of the shop I was working in I was not allowed to. If it was nto a federal offence I would have had a friend buy for me.

It STILL urks me a bit even tho it was ten years ago. I have had two 83's in my hands since and passed on both... Partly cause they where rough and over priced. Simply not meant to be I guess.

Enjoy yours!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I have a very nice 83 mag frame, very rare not a factory conversion and 2 87 one is like new the other one is nice but shows a little ware and it is the one that I hunt with. I have barrels from 223 up to the 32-40 except 270 most all the factory offerings that were not custom shop as well as a 22 inch smooth bore 12 slug barrel and a heavy 25-06 custom shop barrel I call it my 9 lb hammer as that is about what the gun weights with scope an all, would like a 45-07 to complete my collection.

Deaconllb

Boolit Master
    I have an 83, bought it the year they came out. Its a hornet now and I picked up a damaged 243 barrel and made me a 30special( 38 special necked to 30. Cal). Elegant little rifle, kinda heavy but easy to shoot with the set triggers. I am always watching for a 32-40 barrel.
    Rarely see one for sale, and they are expensive when they do show up! Count me as a fan of the TCR83 as well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    They show up on ebay all the time there is a 22-250 on there now good price he has ran the thing for several months I just do not need a barrel burner also too expensive and then have it rechambered or rebore

Deaconllb

A .22-250 barrel is a great candidate for a rebore (only) to .257" (.250-3000/.250 Savage) - a really good chambering for a TCR stalking rifle.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned various TCR 83s and 87s for 30+years. I have an 87 Hunter frame with a FANTASTIC set of wood. Got rid of a number of barrels over the years as well (223, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243, 30-30 custom shop, and 32-40). Currently, I have only 22 Hornet, 222 Rem and 7mm Mag barrels.
    Last edited by gewehrfreund; 07-09-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an '83. Have about a half dozen barrels. Also have a custom bull barrel in 357 max necked down to 30 cal. Have a second rifle that doesn't fire and have it apart trying to find out why.

Might take the extra '06 barrel and turn it into a 357max.

Boolit Bub
    How do you turn an 06 barrel into a 357 max I understand having to rebore to 358 but what do you do with the chamber?

Deaconllb

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a stub job like is done on NEF barrels. Or you can remove the old barrel from the monoblock, which is a pain to do as I found out once with a really junky 308 barrel as the barrel was pinned/soldered/press fit in the monoblock

Boolit Master
    Ill second that! They do not come out easily. Probably best to push out the pins, saw it off in front of the block and bore it out on the laythe. TC did not intend for them to come loose. I used a donor 243 to make my 30 special buy pressing out the TC barrel and then lock tite and pins to install mine.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have an 87, it came with a 45-70 barrel and I made up two others, 7.62x39 and 243. I am going to make up another in 357 max necked down to 30 cal. I have a barrel just need to make the monobloc and chamber it. Any one know where I can get a reamer for a 30/357max? Also want to make a 357 Max barrel one of these days.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Bub
    I have a slug barrel that I am going to stub in a Encore 209x50 muzzleloader barrel so will see how that goes.

Paulg67 what have you found to be the best way to install the for end lug? The one on the shotgun looks like it is dove tail or silver sodered

deaconllb
    Last edited by Deaconllb; 07-09-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    PaulG67-- What are you looking for in a 30/357 max reamer? Mine has a 30-30 ish length neck and a 357 mag body.

Rockrat, \

I run a 357 Max case into a 30 Herrett size die. it leaves a neck about .295" in length. That is what I want to work with.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine has a body about .050" longer than the 30 herrett and a case neck length of about .305"