MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Redding micrometer manipulation

Boolit Master

Redding micrometer manipulation

I was wondering what are some of the different methods folks have been using for Redding micrometer use. I use brute force for unknown weights of powder or New powders. Meaning, I use a wild guess to figure a start point to find a given weight of powder. I then use a notebook to record found settings to use at latter dates. My notes look like YELLOW DOT, 35/4.7 equals 6.2 grns. where as "35" is the bold adjustment that is measured increments of 5. "/4.7" is the increments ten tick marks followed by a number. I think there are 50 possible combinations on the minor side. Major has 5 through 100. Redding suggestions graph paper. Instructions are provided if my pdf posts. Are there better ways?Redding-3BR-Powder-Measure-Manual.pdf

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

I would say I adjust my BR-3 the same as you do. When starting with a new cartridge or a new powder I give it a mighty twist. and start adjusting from there. I record my settings on the ammo box instead of in a notebook. For instance, for a caliber I recently started to shoot with Accurate 1680 I wrote 14.0 gr. = 68.9 for the pistol measuring chamber and 14.0 gr. = 7.65 on the rifle measuring chamber. In this particular case, I'm staying with the pistol measuring chamber since it's just a hair more consistent.

Boolit Master

Thanks for weighing in . You track your found loads a little differently than I do. My major adjustments will always be divisible by five. My minor adjustments will be 1-4 with a point 0-9. I am sure yours works pretty much the same way. I am surprised this isn't discussed more as it's fairly repeatable in setting. Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617