Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rcbs rockchucker question

Boolit Bub
    I could have used that press but with all the primer stuff missing and him scheming I just don't do dishonest things with those kind of people. just my way I guess
    I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Boolit Master
    It wasn't that great of a deal so nothing lost. As far as I am aware both of my RCBS Supreme presses were US made and they do everything I need them to do.

Boolit Bub
    lee factory sales has there classic cast very reasonable

Banned
    Lee also sells reconditioned tool under the "closeouts" tab on the left side of there web page

Reconditioned Breech Lock Challenger Press $54.50

Reconditioned 12G LOAD-ALL II $42.50

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Dar View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RC Supreme made in China? I have the RCII and see no need to own a Supreme from what I've heard about them.
    No. Not China. Made in USA, but the lore persists. The two in my loading room are made in USA, and here is a photo snapped from the LGS recently.

I have owned the original RC and the Supreme. The original is sold, and I have a Supreme "IV" on my bench. Both are great presses, but i have a slight preference for the current model.
    If I primed on my press I would prefer an RC or RC2. I don't prime on a Single Stage, so the difference in priming is moot for me.

Differences:

more clearance on the IV
    Some older ones have the bike handle grip. Current versions have a ball
    Priming
    Spent primer catcher. Neither are totally effective.

Yes $50 for a decent condition RC is a good deal. Too bad the dude was a flake.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 07-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.

My RC was bought used in 1980, can't remember what I paid for it but couldn't have been much because I didn't have a good pot to pee in back then. I did make a long handle for it when I was squishing some .308 cases down to make a custom short 6.5 for a across the course match rifle. I love that press, I think if I had to pick only one that would be the keeper.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a forester coax a while back for my precission rifle boolits.

Banned

For a time, short or otherwise, RCBS got metal frame casting from China for the Rock Chucker. I have posted the facts more than once. More and more RCBS=Made in China. 1500, scales, melting pot and so it goes. Layman is next worst in this regard. All the other manufacturers avoid China.

Boolit Bub
    china is yuck

Boolit Master
    China can build good stuff for about 30% less than we can in the US if they have enough engineering support. I did that for several years. Most of your computers are made in China using American designed equipment also manufactured in China.
    Even Boeing and Airbus were having parts made by Xian Aircraft Corp. Aka XAC..
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    made in USA CARRYS ALOT OF WEIGHT

Rock Chucker JR / RS - handle bar in the middle, primers drop out in the front
    Rock Chucker - handle bar offset to the right, otherwise similar to JR
    Rock Chucker II - handle bar got a ball on top now, bushing now removable, same frame as the Rock Chucker
    Rock Chucker IV/Supreme - new (current) frame design, primer drop out in the back. Supreme is the same press as the IV, just packaged with other accessories

I think they are all good and sturdy presses and good enough to reload anything (outside of 50 BMG maybe).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbs_dates.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	223672
    Last edited by Big Tom; 07-22-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

I'm a big fan of RCBS products. I'd have a heart with "RCBS" in the middle tattooed on my arm if I was into that sort of thing (LOL).

I've used (& still do) several RC's over my 50 years of reloading & just recently I decided to reward myself with a new RC Supreme that was on sale. A powerful & quality press but I was disappointed that RCBS just can't seem to figure out how to make a decent spent primer catcher. Most shooters with my same pet peeve recommend going to Ebay & buying a primer catcher cobbled together on a 3-D printer. It didn't make much sense to me to spend more money on a gadget that clutters up the press-throat & makes it look like it's on a ventilator!

Although heresy, I sold the supreme at a slight loss & bought a MEC Marksman. Although the MEC is not perfect, I'm happy as a clam now.

JIMHO/YMMV/FWIW
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Bub
    great posts guys

Boolit Master
    Started reloading back about 1970. First press I bought was an aluminum Texan which at the time didn't know wasn't exactly the best. Made the sacrifice a few months later and bought a Rockchucker. Don't know how many rounds I've reloaded with it but must be a considerable number and I feel it's paid for itself many times over. The Texan was given to a friend who wanted to start reloading. Have a Dillon 550, lee classic cast and an ancient cast iron C press that shows up sometimes when cleaning my den/reloading room. Out side of an occasional set of dies,powder,primers or bullets haven't seen the need to replace any of my presses. Frank

Boolit Master
    I got my master reloading kit in 1985. The press is a Rockchucker II not a plain Rockchucker. I'm sure many comments here are based on the RC II.

So I have to ask. What's the difference between a RC and a RC II?

Motor

PS: That's what I get for posting before looking at page 2. Thanks Big Tom.

You could have reached out here - would have given you a great deal on a "cobbled together" primer catcher The latest models even have the case ejector integrated

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I'm a big fan of RCBS products. I'd have a heart with "RCBS" in the middle tattooed on my arm if I was into that sort of thing (LOL).

I've used (& still do) several RC's over my 50 years of reloading & just recently I decided to reward myself with a new RC Supreme that was on sale. A powerful & quality press but I was disappointed that RCBS just can't seem to figure out how to make a decent spent primer catcher. Most shooters with my same pet peeve recommend going to Ebay & buying a primer catcher cobbled together on a 3-D printer. It didn't make much sense to me to spend more money on a gadget that clutters up the press-throat & makes it look like it's on a ventilator!

Although heresy, I sold the supreme at a slight loss & bought a MEC Marksman. Although the MEC is not perfect, I'm happy as a clam now.

JIMHO/YMMV/FWIW
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12