Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Marlin CB 45-70

Boolit Mold

Marlin CB 45-70

I've had this rifle about ten years and am finally about to do some work with it. It is all standard except has a recoil pad I put on right after buying it. Planning a tang sight and possibly an aperture front sight as well. As the barrel is turned in a few degrees past top dead center, I'm considering pulling and reinstalling the barrel to alleviate this issue. Yes, I have the correct tools and ability to do this job.
    Any ideas are welcome,
    I'm planning a stock through bolt and bedded stock,RTV bedding forend and relieving barrel/mag tube contact.
    Mold ideas for this gun?
    Thanks I advance for your comments, ideas. Jimmy

Boolit Master
    If it has been installed past 0 TDC you may have problems appear, rolling in usually good, rolling back? First is you will be at a decreased torque on shoulder which may be insufficient to stay put. How far past, extractor cut and hood alignment? Head space will also increase backing out barrel. CB= octagon? Tough to roll swage that one. I have found most Marlins quite generous in the head space department to begin with. Possible shim made for shoulder to achieve good set torque then find new block and fit to make a really nice tight chamber. I "worked" a few many moons ago, IIRC 7 degree cut stopping several thousandths shy and cycle lapping block and bolt to final happy.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, it is so little past tdc that I could leave it be. Literally a few degrees. I could easily shim it. Will consider all ideas, and may just shoot it. I figured it might be more noticeable when I put the tang sight on it. May just do that and see how it feels. Thanks Gtek, its a work in progress, and I don't anticipate the solution to breed new problems, at least ones I can't deal with. Might be an excuse to change it to a 40-65 or some such. Keep coming with ideas.

Not sure about the installation issue...
    But with my Marlin 1895, I put a Skinner sight on it and I have fast target acquisition and can hit within 3" of target standing at 100 yards consistently. Even with heavy/fast rounds.