Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I just being petty?

Boolit Master

Am I just being petty?

I bought a heater for my new-to-me Star Lubesizer from Magma. I know, would have been easy to build one or use a lightbulb, but I did what I did, and I paid full MSRP for it plus shipping.

A few days later it arrives, open it up and it appears to be used rather than new. Scratched up from mounting and dismounting a few times and some odd partially drilled divots on the bottom side. Thermostat control screw is slightly buggered. The whole thing was a little sticky from lube.

Plugged it in and it heats up. So, maybe issues are just cosmetic and likely a new one would look like this within a fairly short period, and who cares how it looks anyway.

But I feel cheated, I paid for new.

I pretty much decided to just mount it up tonight and get on with life, but then decided to ask all ya’ll your opinions. Let’s see if I can post some pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8A80B87F-610D-4EB5-B984-10C40D68CBD7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	223230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95B5B9B6-9997-41FF-AEFD-2C42C970667D.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	223231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	440A9E7B-16C9-4A3F-BD3C-4825ADF84584.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	223232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9CF64B7-13B1-476C-8281-DCEB878FB55D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	223233

Not petty at all, You buy a new car,, You don't want a bunch of scratches and dings on it, Same with anything You Buy new. Contact them and let them know the condition and Send it back !!

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Master
    Nope, I think you are well within your rights to send it back and request you get what you paid for a new unit not one that someone used then returned. At my age 70+ years hate being taken advantage of. Was in lowes one day and one of the sales people was telling me that on some returns they just reseal the package and back on the shelf. But that kind of stupidity also bites them where it hurts the most. Someone returned a complete toilet assembly. Turns out the took the new one out then stuck the old toilet bowl in the box and sealed it up. Customer buys what he thought was a new unit. He got the one that was returned. Frank

Boolit Master
    Being a bare piece of metal, I can see how it might get scratched during handling, but some of those screw holes!
    To me it looks to be used.
    I would certainly contact them.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If it had been on clearance, or a blem sale, yes. But if you paid full MSRP..... nope.
    Let them know that a first class price deserves a first class product.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Would insist on new and point out they just found someone who will give very public ratings /Ed

Boolit Master

Agreed, you pay for new, you should get new.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

No, I don't think you're being petty. If you order a product you assume it to be new unless it is advertised as being used. I probably would keep that heater but I would contact them and let them know that as a loyal customer, I was disappointed. I would also inquire about any warranty.

Boolit Master
    I think I'd fire off an email to Magma and embed a link to this page in it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Not being petty at all.
    Call them and be nice and explain.
    I have always been satisfied with Magma's customer service. I bought my Star Sizer years ago and it simply would not work properly. I called them maybe 10 times over a year's time to try to figure out why it wasn't doing what it should be doing......and FINALLY gave up.
    I sent it back and they rebuilt if for no charge.
    They even paid the shipping back to me.
    The key is being nice to them. Be firm but polite. They really are good people.
    If a gruff woman answers, don't be put off....that is just the way she is. She actually is pretty nice.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all, and I’m almost always nice. Sent the following email this morning along with the pictures, will update the thread when I hear back but have no reason to expect any issues.

Good morning,

Last week I ordered a new heater for my Star Lubesizer. It arrived and I opened it yesterday to find what appears to be a used heater for a Star Lubesizer.

I’m not sure why you’d do such a thing, so figure it’s just a mistake in shipping, stuff happens. Anyway, please box up a new one and send it along with instructions on how to return this one.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    If it was offered as a "New" heater that would be one thing but if it was described as "Used," the seller had no business charging full MSRP. Even "Like New" isn't worth full price. They owe you something.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't blame you one bit for having it upset you - I would be too. You paid top price for a NEW one not a USED one. I'd contact them, see what they say and offer to send the photos to them. A good business operation would apologize, offer to send a new one out right away and you send that one back - or make a hefty adjustment on the price and refund some your money if you decide it will work for you. That's just good business practice regardless of what the product is. A happy customer is one who will return - an unhappy customer will never darken your doorstep again.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    your not being petty at all i would not accept that you pay for new you expect new

If you don't get satisfaction...let us know who you purchased it from. We should all beware of that seller.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Good approach, you are letting them know a mistake occurred and how you would like to resolve the problem and be able to return the used heater. Simple and calm and no harsh words. No one needs to be defensive, just take care of the problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Good approach, you are letting them know a mistake occurred and how you would like to resolve the problem and be able to return the used heater. Simple and calm and no harsh words. No one needs to be defensive, just take care of the problem.
    Exactly

Stuff happens...the ball is now in their court to do the right thing
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Looks like ya paid full msrp for a 'Demo' unit. Contact them and complain. If they don't want to come off their high horse, send it back and make your own. New is new, demo/customer return used is 20-30% off msrp.

Now you've seen their mouse trap. Order your materials and get the satidfaction of building your own and sticking it to the man.

I purchased one used along with a Lyman 45. The heating element was shot in the heater and the lubrasizer had a bent guide rod (neither defificiency mentioned in the BST add) Time and effort in fixing both items i could've bought new.
    Last edited by Greg S; 07-06-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wasn’t being intentionally vague, this was purchased directly from Magma.

Just got the following:

Hi Jim,

That is a new heated base. All of the heated bases on the shelf look like that. They get scratched when the metal is being cut down and machined. There is not much that we can do to keep them from getting scratched. Most times the metal comes that way when we purchase it. If you want to return it to me, I can send you another one.

Best Regards,
    Elisabeth

Really very surprised that they make such a mess of things for such a simple setup. Do all of their products show this level of sloppiness?
    Last edited by JimB..; 07-06-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: There-their

You are not being petty! You paid full new price for used goods. Magma should either refund your money, send you a new one, or give a sharp discount for the one you have and send you the difference.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast