Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you want to do a postal shoot?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to do a postal shoot!

36 92.31%
  • No, I don't want to do a postal shoot.

3 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy/competition: Postal shoot?

Boolit Master

Accuracy/competition: Postal shoot?

Mods, if you can think of a better forum to put this in, feel free to move it. None of the other forums really fit so I stuck it here since we are trying to get an accuracy/competition forum started.

Is anybody interested in having a postal shoot set up for the forum? It would be a good way to show off a bit, have a lot of fun, and give us an excuse to shoot more.

Here's what I'm thinking on it, and keep in mind any and all advise would be appreciated. I've never set one of these up, but I have seen them done and participated in a few too. For the sake of simplicity, we could have three categories and expand them to more should the need arise. One for rifles up to .338 cal, one for rifles larger than .338, and one for handguns. We'd need to figure out how we'd want to deal with the scope vs iron sight issue to keep things fair (though keep in mind, this is just for fun). The shooting distance could be set at either 50 or 100 yards for rifles, and either 15 or 25 yards for handguns. Shooting style (prone vs bench vs off hand) could be up to the shooter, as could the type of bullet used (cast vs jacket). We'd also need a target for each category. This one has been used in a postal shoot on another forum, and it seemed to work out pretty good (and yes, it comes in black too). These are 2" circles.

http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-.pdf

The rules that forum used were that you can shoot into the sighting box as much as you'd like, and then you would chose FIVE targets and fire ONE shot at each. Whatever ring they landed in was how many points you got. If you hit dead center, that's worth 10 points. If you broke a line, you got the higher ring's points (which is why it was limited to .338 cal)

What do you guys think?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I like it!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I am behind a lot of others, but a 2” circle is quite a challenge for me at 100 yards with a cast bullet. That target will not work with iron sights...so something to consider. I would use jacketed bullets if the range was 100 yards. Seems to me that for a forum like this we should be using cast bullets.

I like the idea of having both a 50 and 100 yard class for rifles. Quite a few seem to shoot lever actions, so have two classes....bolt and single shots in one....lever, pump and semi autos in the other. To keep it simple, the bolt and single shot class would be at 100 yards with the other rifle actions at 50....only two categories that way for rifles. I do not see a need to worry about calibers.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Works for me.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

am44mag

How about posting it here?

In Our Town - Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results

[URL="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results"]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results[/URL]

I'm going to leave it here for now until/if you agree.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    am44mag

How about posting it here?

In Our Town - Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results

[URL="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results"]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Get-Togethers-Competition-and-Results[/URL]

I'm going to leave it here for now until/if you agree.
    I completely forgot that even existed, lol. Sounds good to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Maybe I am behind a lot of others, but a 2” circle is quite a challenge for me at 100 yards with a cast bullet. That target will not work with iron sights...so something to consider. I would use jacketed bullets if the range was 100 yards. Seems to me that for a forum like this we should be using cast bullets.

I like the idea of having both a 50 and 100 yard class for rifles. Quite a few seem to shoot lever actions, so have two classes....bolt and single shots in one....lever, pump and semi autos in the other. To keep it simple, the bolt and single shot class would be at 100 yards with the other rifle actions at 50....only two categories that way for rifles. I do not see a need to worry about calibers.
    That's exactly what I was thinking about when I suggested 50 yards. I know there are plenty of people here that could easily shoot cast at 100 yards and probably hit the bull each and every time with irons. I'm not one of them, lol.

Separating this by type of gun might be a little too restrictive for now. There's some interest, but not enough yet. Hopefully that will change. The 100 yard for jacketed and 50 yard for cast sounds good to me. We could have people specify their loads, what they shot it out of, and if they used irons or a scope just for the sake of comparing results. Remember, this is mainly for fun and bragging rights. I'll see if I can't find some good targets.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds fun, I am in

I'm in. I like the 50 yd since it might be fun to have a same caliber 2 gun, rifle and pistol one target 5 shots each shoot.

I have 41 mag BH & a 41mag Henry not sure I can hit the backstop with the 4-5/8s" BH but it would be fun to try.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I made up a 3" version of the 100 yard target. This will be a little more iron sight and big bore friendly at 50 yards. I only had enough room for one sighter target and there's nowhere to put a information box in, though there is room to write info down. I printed one out and it looks pretty good. I fixed the fuzziness issues too.

rifle target 1 (50 yards).pdf

Also, here's those 100 yard targets again.

Green

http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-.pdf

Black

http://www.southpondcottages.com/met...Joe-BLACKa.pdf

for the handgun target, I'm not sure what's best for that. We could stick with the 50 yard target and move it to 25 yards, we could use multiple sheets so we could have larger targets on them, or we could just use one big target and shoot 5 rounds into it instead of 1 round per target.

This might work.

handgun target 1.pdf
    Last edited by am44mag; 07-07-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: edited to add better targets

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe go to a scaled down version of the 25 ring shutzen target. Why worry about a scoring target on the sheet print out 2 targets 1 for sighting one for score. This could then be shot in the rifle classes both 100 and 200 yds. Another area or class would be black powder loads both cartridge and muzzle loaders. Last would be the shotgunners and something for them.

The scaled down 25 ring shutzen target would work for handguns at 25 yds and the rifles at the reduced100yd scale and 200 yds. It gives scoring from 25 points ( center) to 1 point outer ring. Addition of an x ring for tie breaking might be good.

Rules for these type matches are actually pretty simple and pretty basic. Class ( type fire arm)
    projectile used (for this sites match jacketed or cast and to spread info mould maker, bullet alloy and lube)
    Range fired 100 200 for rifles, 15 or 25 for pistols
    Other information that would be interesting to have when posting results would be
    Rifle information description
    Load data for load used
    sights

This way when the reults are posted in a spread sheet they are not only the match results but good shared data with the results for members to use.

Sounds like fun to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Serious question;why is there any discussion on using jacketed bullets?

I realize this is all for fun,which I cannot agree more with..... list the load,best you can(some folks may not have a chrono),list any improvement to firearm,then maybe the rest,throw in a short comment or two about conditions.Sounds like fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Maybe go to a scaled down version of the 25 ring shutzen target. Why worry about a scoring target on the sheet print out 2 targets 1 for sighting one for score. This could then be shot in the rifle classes both 100 and 200 yds. Another area or class would be black powder loads both cartridge and muzzle loaders. Last would be the shotgunners and something for them.

The scaled down 25 ring shutzen target would work for handguns at 25 yds and the rifles at the reduced100yd scale and 200 yds. It gives scoring from 25 points ( center) to 1 point outer ring. Addition of an x ring for tie breaking might be good.

Rules for these type matches are actually pretty simple and pretty basic. Class ( type fire arm)
    projectile used (for this sites match jacketed or cast and to spread info mould maker, bullet alloy and lube)
    Range fired 100 200 for rifles, 15 or 25 for pistols
    Other information that would be interesting to have when posting results would be
    Rifle information description
    Load data for load used
    sights

This way when the reults are posted in a spread sheet they are not only the match results but good shared data with the results for members to use.
    The sighting thing is just for convenience. There's no reason you can't use another page for sighting or even practice. I'll look and see if I can find a shutzen target to play around with. I'm guessing that these would have all 5 shots on one big target? a 3" target with 25 rings would be a little hard to score if you hit it with a .45, lol. The class thing will come if we get enough people doing this. If we start out with 5 or 6 different classes but only 10 guys interested, we're not going to get very far. For now, let's keep it as simple and open as possible and see where it goes. We can always add on to it later.

All that information would be great to have!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Serious question;why is there any discussion on using jacketed bullets?

I realize this is all for fun,which I cannot agree more with..... list the load,best you can(some folks may not have a chrono),list any improvement to firearm,then maybe the rest,throw in a short comment or two about conditions.Sounds like fun.
    Mainly just for comparison sake after the fact. There's no reason to separate jacketed and cast bullets in this competition. Jacketed bullets might have an edge at longer ranges, but we aren't shooting at those ranges.

I agree simple is good, give me a target tell me what to shoot at it, how many shots and distance. I'm in, we get too complicated with load data, boolits and powder weighted to the micro gram and I'm bored already. I like the shooting not the measuring. If we're going to get serious I'll pick my .17 HH that shoots sub 1/2 inch at 100 yards. If I'm having fun it will be my 41 Henry with a MP 413640 & 15.0 gr of 2400 at 50 yards.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I like this idea. simple and something for everyone to compete.

Boolit Master
    I'm ironing out a few details, but the official postal shoot thread should go up tonight!

Edit: it's live!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...98#post4407698
    Last edited by am44mag; 07-09-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    I tried out 15 yd handgun target out first after printing up some, also printed the rifle targets, they look small. Still doing ladder test with .223 boolits will try them when get good results with test. I’m up to 2525 FPS now with cast boolits PC ed no paint in bbl or any other problems yet. Will try more powder and speed with these little pills and gas checked.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I tried out 15 yd handgun target out first after printing up some, also printed the rifle targets, they look small. Still doing ladder test with .223 boolits will try them when get good results with test. I’m up to 2525 FPS now with cast boolits PC ed no paint in bbl or any other problems yet. Will try more powder and speed with these little pills and gas checked.
    The original 100 yard target was definitely too small for iron sights. The circles were 2". The new version has 4" circles. Is that the one you tried?

I'm far from the best shot with iron sights. My targets at 100 yards are usually the size of the handgun target. I know some here could probably shoot the bull out of 2" targets at 100 yards, but I wasn't sure how big I should make the target for irons for the average shooter. How big would you suggest I make the target for irons at 100 and 50 yards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast