MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: My holiday pewter score!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

My holiday pewter score!

I hit the thrift shops every time I visit my relatives and the 4 th was no different. I ended up with 7.9 lbs for $15.54. The 2lb mug was half price at $4.90 which I'm going to keep. It has some German song lyric written on it about getting drunk and scoring with the ladies. I found it amusing. The 1.6lb set wrapped in plastic was 80% off and got it for $1.28 and the big 1.5lb plate was $1.99. Everything else was 1/2 off and ranged from .23 to .90 cents.

Not bad,not bad, not bad! I was pretty stoked.

Boolit Master

Way to go. I have to be satisfied with a turkey fryer upgrade-found a 4 legged one beside the road on my way home from the PO. The price? Nada!

Well, I did have to replace the missing air shutter and spring. Still an inexpensive melter suitable for large quantities of lead.
    Last edited by William Yanda; 07-14-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: update
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Even without the stein you paid less then $3/lb. I'd keep the stein too.

Pretty nice haul, I would be hesitant to throw that picture frame in the mix thought. It was kinda slim pickings around my parts for hallmarked food service pewter, so I took collecting picture frames much like yours. I melted down about seven pounds worth of frames and just for giggles I took it to the scrap yard and had them zap it with the XRF gun. Turns out it was 89% lead and 7.5% tin with the balance antimony.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm going to start passing on picture frames in the future as well. Was going to pass on this one but couldn't help myself since it was half off the marked price. It was under a buck. I'll just use the frames I have left for adding to coww for better mold fill outs.

Boolit Master

I saw a smaller stein like vessle at a yard sale that was marked $85. I put it right back where it was.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! I don't find much pewter around here. I don't blame you for saving the mug.

I did passed on another pair if candle sticks that were marked $2.99 per stick. As much as I was picking up and for peanuts I didn't want to ruin my streak and I already have a couple of boxes full of pewter at home.

Depressing, I know I'm back home. Four stops, three pewter items found and I bought two. I passed on a 6" plate that was marked $3.99. It was maybe a little over a half pound. I picked up the cup for .99 and the ash tray for $1.93. Probably not much in weight on the ashtray after getting out the plaster. It's not marked "pewter" but it was saying Norwegian pewter all over it in my head. $2 per item is normally my limit unless it's a pound or over. First pewter ash tray I've ran into

Gonna miss my $4.90 mug...just sold it on eBay for $80! The money is going for more pewter scrounging or towards my special order 35 whelen 7600.

Glad I didn't melt it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Gonna miss my $4.90 mug...just sold it on eBay for $80! The money is going for more pewter scrounging or towards my special order 35 whelen 7600.

Glad I didn't melt it.
    That is how it's done!!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I'm gonna start sniffing around my pewter pile an see what else I can turn n burn. I have an old flask I picked up for $6 that I saw a similar one going for $38,000. Any takers?

I need to take it to an antique rodeo show and get it appraised one of these days. I have an old 1750's plate I picked up for $4 that I believe is worth a couple hundred as well.