Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: An old friend returns home.

An old friend returns home.

A number of years ago I wanted to build up a Rolling Block for long range shooting. I decided it would be a .40-65 Win. chamber, and began looking for an action. My friend the late Whitey Hanson had an original receiver, and after some swapping I got the action from him. I purchased the Green Mountain heavy full round barrel and had John Taylor fit it. Then cut it to 34".
    Another friend had given me his stock blanks when he was near the end of his time, and I shaped and fitted them to the barreled action. My friend Wind Whitehill gave me the skeletonized buttplate and told me he thought it would be perfect for this project gun!
    I polished everything out and sent the action off to Al Springer for color case, and had George Komandine rust blue the barrel. Reassembled the Roller and before I even fired it much, I got into a trade deal on an engraved Ballard and it went away!
    Eventually the Rolling Block ended up in the hands of a good friend Steve, who used it successfully for long range matches and shooting. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it I was a buyer, and at our recent memorial shoot for Wind he offered the Rolling Block back to me. I'm pretty sure he wasn't done with it, and will miss it. But he knew how much I'd enjoy having it back and sold it to me at the shoot. He also brought loads with it so I could shoot it again before heading home with it! It was a great feeling to hear the old Roller hit the 990 yd. dinger, and know it finally made it back home!

neat to get her back again after her travels

Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    neat to get her back again after her travels
    Yes, it went to the East Coast. Then to the Dakotas. And finally to my friend in Indiana, before finding it's way home to me!
    Had a bit of a tough life until my friend bought it. It came to him with the stock broken and tangs bent! Also had the hammer and breech block swapped at some time and he told me the trigger pull was about 16 lbs.!!! I had worked it over and put a piano wire mainspring in it, and gotten it down to 3 lbs. He fixed all the messed up stuff, and made it like new again. I sent him piano wire and he made another return spring and it's down to under 3 lb. pull again. Glad he fixed it up, as I'd have cried if I'd gotten it all busted up after all these years!

That is beautiful- thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master

What a story! What a rifle! Don’t let that gal slip away again!

Beautiful rifle...Reminds me of this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTJFdNPRoE

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by eric123 View Post
    Beautiful rifle...Reminds me of this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTJFdNPRoE
    Small world. Larry who is seen shooting the 990 yd. dinger at our long range shoot last year is a friend of mine! That's also a .40-65 that Larry is shooting, but a pistol grip stock. It's a Green Mountain barrel also, like mine. My friend Steve is seen shooting the one he sold back to me at that same shoot. I'll have to try and find the video if I can.

I found a video of Steve shooting mine last year when it was his gun!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zexu_n5OB_4