Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Lead 9mm Hollow Point Expansion?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    Again, most of the current popular boolit designs ought to work well for your intended purposes, just get a sample of the one you prefer or something similar to try before you fork out big bucks on a mold. Keep the questions coming, there are a lot of good folks here who will help you along the way!
    If anyone has a a handful of 9mm hollow points they would be willing to send me I'd really appreciate it. I'd prefer 147 grain, but am not against 124 grain.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    The reason being is that my current carry ammo is the 147 grain XTP. I was under the impression that I could replicate the XTP bullets and achieve similar accuracy, with potentially better terminal ballistics. I'm not dead set on the XTP design, I was just interested in a hollow point mold that is a similar size and shape to commercially available defensive bullets in the 147 grain variety.
    The mold that gamsek posted the link to will most likely be the one I go with. It appears to be similar to something like a Speer gold dot, so I'm assuming the feeding characteristics would be the same or similar. I will just have to adjust my loadings for that specific mold.
    I am still pretty new at boolit casting and the world of hand loading, so I could be completely wrong. If that is the case please steer me in the right direction.
    You are over thinking this. Any 147gr bullet running the same vel as the XTP factory load is going to feel the same & shoot to POA/POI, most of the time. I would just get a 147gr solid mold & use that for practice.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    You are over thinking this. Any 147gr bullet running the same vel as the XTP factory load is going to feel the same & shoot to POA/POI, most of the time. I would just get a 147gr solid mold & use that for practice.
    One of the members here is sending me a handful of 147 grain hollow points for me to try out. They are the Mihek 147 grain hollow points. I'm strongly leaning towards that mold.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    My experience with the Mihec 125 grain bullet has been similar to Forest's: excellent expansion without coming apart AND excellent accuracy between 1,000-1,100 fps. It has to be the closest thing yet to a perfect cast lead hollow point 9mm bullet. My best results have been with 1:1 ratio of COWW to SOWW.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12