RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble getting Muzzle loading shotgun to reliably fire

Boolit Master
    Although it sounds like you have a restriction if the other barrel works fine, you might try using musket size nipples. The RWS caps are said to be hotter. I have two of those Pedersoli shotguns and mine work great using Remington #11 caps. CCIseems to work as well. I use Black MZ or 777 powder. I have gotten into the practice of firing off a charge of powder alone in each barrel before actually putting any shot in. Never have misfires after that. Like someone said, the powder may have absorbed too much moisture. I have had that stuff get useless on me before. Try some fresh and then dump that other stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I got some black powder (FFg) today and tried a coupe of "half charges" in the Pedersoli. It fired without a problem! I went ahead and ordered a couple of "Hot Shot" nipples from "Track of the Wolf" anyway with the hopes they will help ignite Pyrodex, or any of the other substitutes, when I can't get "black". In the mean time, I'll just keep shooting the "real stuff" in this gun (it also patterns nicely at 30 yards). Most of my other black powder long guns are Thompson Center (Hawkin, Seneca, Renagade, etc.) and all would shoot Pyrodex. I guess it goes to show you, guns are about as individual as people. Thanks for the help.
    That is good news, but although it pretty clearly identifies the resistance to ignition of Pyrodex as a factor, it is worth exploring the obstruction issue. Other people, including yourself, get Pyrodex to work in other guns, and it is worth doing since, as you say, black powder isn't in regular supply for you.

Boolit Master

I have shot Pedersoli shotguns in matches for 40 years. #1 the gun must be clean and dry. Meaning the oil has been cleared. 2-3 caps should clear the flash channels. Also I have found shot in the flash channels before. #2 black powder will work best in blacl powder guns They were designed for black powder. subitutes are just that something that may work ok if the proper powder is not avatable. there is a reason that modern muzzle loaders use modern 209 primers which are many times hotter. Keep your gun clean. hot water, soap and flush till a white patch going in white comes out white. Consider making up the cleaner 1/3 H2 02 1/3 Murphys oil soap and 1/3 90% or better acholol. Scrub the flash channel with Ream and clean pipe cleaners. Flush it out with water dry the barrels and lightly oil with ATF oil. The main match I shot was the clay target was thrown. If it was a clean target in the air it was scored hit or miss. A miss fire could be the difference between winning or also donated to the match
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12