Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a hard life lesson...and i thank GOD for it.

Boolit Master
    My dad spanked me twice and each time it was just one swat, the last one was when I was 6 years old and I deserved it. I wasn't a rocket scientist but was smart enough to know there was no future in it. However, his "growling" reprimands were probably worse.

Boolit Buddy
    I lost my dad to cancer when I was about 6. I have a few memories of him. One is getting a whoopin' along with the other 3 kids for some silly argument and play trouble. I smile every time I think about it and KNOW that he did it because he loved us and wanted us to grow up right.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    my mom was the one you had to watch out for she was 5 foot nothing and 100 pounds so when me and my brothers ( all well over 6 foot ) got to tussling in the house the broom came out and not the soft end. but in her defence it was bout the only thing that would move us.

Boolit Grand Master

I feel there is a difference between getting spanked and outright abuse. I can’t say I didn’t deserve every spanking I got. I think as I got older a spanking would have been preferential to knowing I had disappointed my parents. I remember only one time my father spanked me. I had just got my B.B. gun and as embarrassing as it is to tell y’all, I had shot my neighbors dog in the butt. Neighbor caught me and he called me over. I sheepishly admitted to my dastardly deed and he asked for my B.B. gun and to go fetch my dad so they could talk. That was a long walk home although was in reality a few hundred yards. I remember dad was washing dishes as he was prepping dinner and I told him the neighbor needed to talk to him. He asked why and before I knew it he had back handed me so hard I wound up on the floor and I just laid there collecting myself as he stepped over me to go talk to the neighbor. It seemed like an eternity he was gone. I don’t remember what happened after that as the memory is a bit fuzzy. I do remember the disappointment on his face when he returned. I had to go talk to the neighbor myself. It’s hard to look a man in his eye when you’ve shot his dog.

That’s the only time I ever remember my father hitting me. I never raised any weapon of any sort against something I didn’t intend to harvest after that. I still don’t know why I did that as it’s just unconscionable now. I want to say I was about 8-9. There isn’t a day that goes by I don’t miss my old man. He’s been gone a little over 5 years and I seem to miss him more now that my boys are getting older. I truly hope I can be the father he was and have the patience with my boys he had with me.

Boolit Master

I will not relate any events of the types of "discipline" I received when I was a kid.
    You would not believe me if told them here, I will tell of one event, via PM if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Hickory; 07-11-2018 at 05:03 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    R U shooter my 5 sons still talk and laugh about the (spoon dance ) the missus would give em.
    Haha, yes, I remember once when my brother (2 yrs. older) and I were being jerks, fighting and fussing, and my poor old Mom had warned us numerous times. My Dad had not got home from work, so we felt purty safe, relatively.
    So Mom got a belly full and told us to go get a belt out of her dresser drawer. We went in there and got a cloth dress belt that women used to wear. Man, we thought we were clever!
    She did her best to put a stinging on us, but the cloth belt just wasn't up to the task, she couldn't swing it hard enough to hurt really.
    Sooooo, she was mad, humiliated and out for revenge then.
    She said the most dreaded of all things then. Ok, smart alecks, wait till your Dad gets home.
    That was just one more bad decision we made. Dad fairly warmed us up, and needless to say, we never disrespected my Mom in such a way, ever again.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I don't think corporal punishment is needed or appropriate once a child reaches a certain age. Probably not much past 7.
    I believe it depends on the child. A good parent figures it out eventually. My daughter was tough to tame and got a few spankings along the way. It didn't work, and neither did constant groundings. I deployed to the the Middle East for a year and Mom couldn't handle her at all. Shoplifting and other petty crimes. When she was 14 she borrowed my well bumpered Jeep and drove it through the front of the elementary school. I split the court judgement with her because it was hopeless for her to pay off. Two years making Subway sandwiches and she paid for bricks. She was starting to get it but not quite yet. School grades were still poor and I wasted 3 semesters college tuition for literally no credit hours. That killed me because she is smart. She agreed she should just work for awhile and grow up. After a year of waiting tables and living in her own apartment she asked for one more chance. She moves back home and takes a medic course. I pay for the course. That was a year ago. She now works on an ambulance crew in my small town, and ER tech at the hospital. She also waits tables two nights a week to pay for some of these wasteful school loans. Works some crazy long hours. Does a lot of CPR and has probably saved a few lives in her first few months. Wants to be a real paramadic and the hospital will pay for the training soon. She has experienced some terrible stuff like responding to suicides. Things I am not so sure I could mentally handle. Her life finally has meaning to her. She truly gets it now and I am a proud Dad. She is 21 now. It probably could have taken longer but I kept the faith. I really thought she was going to prison eventually. As for me, I got about ten whippings as a child and I flew straight. That would not have cured my daughter. It just depends on the child's personality. Some of it is nutured, some of it is just nature IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12