Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: How can I change the cocking knob on the Mosin?

How can I change the cocking knob on the Mosin?

Im building a tactical Mosin and I was wondering if there are any other options that I could attempt to improve the cocking knob? I know brass Stacker has one for sale but im really not going to spend that much money for a ring. Is there any easy options I could just do at home?

Myself and 100 million Rooskies are wondering what improvement do you wish? If you find it's original configuration difficult to grab and turn to engage the safety, or to pull and cock, then you could weld a wing onto it for better purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Myself and 100 million Rooskies are wondering what improvement do you wish? If you find it's original configuration difficult to grab and turn to engage the safety, or to pull and cock, then you could weld a wing onto it for better purchase.
    It is difficult to grab, and it also looks bad. I have a scope on it so I need to wedge my hand underneath the scope and pull the trigger at the same time trying to hold the little knob.

For your range gun there, I just would ignore the safety and only chamber a round when needed. As long as you control the muzzle all will be well.
    I ignored the safety on my Sako barreled M/N and it was still safe because it had a 9 lb trigger.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Not really cheap, but install a Timney trigger with safety. I honestly can't believ that even the Russian army actually used that incredibly poorly designed and executed coking knob-safety contraption.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I'm with Texas, I've tried my safety on my pair of Mosin's, once each.

After that if I want the gun to not fire I open the bolt an inch.

With loaded rounds below the bolt pushing up on it, it seems to stay in that position just fine.
    Easier to slap the bolt forward and down than it is to mess with the safety.

Gun can not possibly fire.

Actually that is my favorite position for my Rem 870 shotgun as well, round loaded, bolt half back, safety on. No way it is going off till you slide that forearm forward locking the bolt.

YMMV but that is what works for me.

Alright, il load up one at a time but I usually load some up in the mag. And timney triggers are quite pricey but I only heard good things about them I Need to sort out all my ammo. I use surplus for the most part and dont feel like shooting steel core at my target. It goes through them like butter.
    Im also trying to keep the costs quite low. I got the bipod on amazon with the scope. I think the bipod was 30$. Super nice and sturdy, and the scope was around 70$. Havent shot with it yet but reviews said they are the cheapest/best alternative for a mosin or 30-06. The previous scope I had was a bushnell. After the fifth shot the lens popped out of place inside I think. I couldnt see through the scope anymore. It was a cheap one I used on my airsoft guns many years ago.

As already stated, load magazine, leave chamber empty until ready to fire. if sitting in a blind waiting for game, chamber a round but don't close bolt until ready to fire. System is totally safe and works on all bolt guns.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    sure miss ole junior at a time like this. He might put a Hurst shift ball on it extended out a little bit. Sure miss jr's input and fun!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    As already stated, load magazine, leave chamber empty until ready to fire. if sitting in a blind waiting for game, chamber a round but don't close bolt until ready to fire. System is totally safe and works on all bolt guns.
    My wife uses this method. She keeps the bolt handle up until she's ready to shoot with her Sako .250 Savage. She only takes sure shots; she's missed one deer in our 30 yrs together and that was with a borrowed lever action.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0491.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	223450 This same as Texas by god For your range gun there, I just would ignore the safety and only chamber a round when needed. As long as you control the muzzle
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0491.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	223456
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

In my opinion, the Enfields have the best military bolt action safety followed closely by the Arisaka. My criteria is quiet operation and ease of moving to the fire position.
    I guess the French Lebel and the Mas 36 win because they have no safety.......

Look on here. www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/mnsporter.html
    He's got a cheap mod to the safety.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.