Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Modified 96/11

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Modified 96/11

I found this at a garage sale a few years ago. Fired it with GP11 (?) Swiss surplus ammo a few times. At 100yds got about a 4" group 6"high and 4" left. Stuck it in the closet and almost forgot I had it. A month ago I got it out and figured I would investigate what the modification at the muzzle was all about. I always thought it was just threaded and the sleeve was to protect the threads.

Turns out the sleeve is a tight slip on configuration. the bore is counter bored in to where the two cone shaped holes are placed at 3 & 9 o'clock. The sleeve is tapered so it will only go on one way. As you can see from the pics the stock has also been modified but not just hacked off. Also in the last pic is a vinyl strip with the name +E.L.ZEA+ placed just in front of the butt plate.

Looking for ideas of what this modification could be for, JohnAttachment 223149Attachment 223150Attachment 223151Attachment 223152
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master
    E.L.Zea is probably the name of a previous owner, it doesn't look like anything an arsenal or gunsmith would put on a stock.
    The thing on the muzzle could be someones attempt at a flash suppressor or muzzle brake. I don't see it accomplishing much of anything unless it's supposed to be used with something else. Since it's a slip-on, why not try slipping it off and see if your groups tighten up?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Looking at the name I think the "+" before and after could be the owner's reference to the Swiss Flag.

Does anyone know if the Swiss ever used a rifle launcher grenade? Since the counter bore goes in to the holes
    seems the bullet has already left the bore. If it is meant to be a muzzle break i can't see how it would work.

Banned
    Probably a blank adapter. A 96/11 is not as strong as a K-31 and the chamber is smaller. RCBS only makes dies for the small chamber. Hornady makes both. Lee is only for the large chamber.

These are accurate rifles if bore is perfect, slugging a must. Finding a correct stock and the metal parts is a long shot.

The plastic tag appears to be in the rear sling recess. Sometimes the originals soldidier's name may be found on a paper slip under the buttplate.

There is a whole subculture in Switzerland building tack drivers from these actions. Check the net.

I went to the source, Swiss Rifle Forum, and got a definitive answer about this modification and thought I'd share it.

Seems this was a modification for a line throwing or harpoon device.

Condor - you might try taking off the butt plate and seeing if the "original" owner's name and "unit" is there on a piece of paper "sandwiched in". I know from experience, that the original issued K31's had that piece of document; yours might as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin356 View Post
    Probably a blank adapter. A 96/11 is not as strong as a K-31 and the chamber is smaller. RCBS only makes dies for the small chamber. Hornady makes both. Lee is only for the large chamber.

These are accurate rifles if bore is perfect, slugging a must. Finding a correct stock and the metal parts is a long shot.

The plastic tag appears to be in the rear sling recess. Sometimes the originals soldidier's name may be found on a paper slip under the buttplate.

There is a whole subculture in Switzerland building tack drivers from these actions. Check the net.
    This is not correct unless they have changed their FL die. The Lee dies size the fired brass down way too much, they reduce the fired brass +.015" at the shoulder alone, I bought a collet neck die to use because of this.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    I went to the source, Swiss Rifle Forum, and got a definitive answer about this modification and thought I'd share it.

Seems this was a modification for a line throwing or harpoon device.
    Interesting theory, John -- but since Switzerland is a landlocked country I don't know what they'd be harpooning or throwing lines to --
    unless there's a Loch Ness Monster lurking in Lake Lucerne.

I'll go with the tape being a former owner's name. I have a 1911 short rifle, as well as a couple of '36s, and two of the three did have the "soldier tag" under the butt plate. I'm thinking that yours would have had a civilian owner who added the tape.

Banned
    The rifle underwent "sporterization" somewhere along the line.

RCBS & Lee dies are for 1890 cartridge used in 1911.
    Redding makes K31 dies
    Hornady makes dies for each (you specify).

Reddings are best if you have a K31.
    Last edited by SvenLindquist; 03-09-2019 at 10:38 PM.

DG, that's funny, Loch Ness Monster was the first image I thought of. Of course we all know Nessie is in Scotland.

Apparently there is a Zea family listed in in some Swiss phone directory, hence +E.L.ZEA+

As far as the Swiss having a Navy...

Attachment 237675

Cool! Never underestimate the Swiss! I like the grain pattern in the buttstock, very attractive. It's always fun to speculate about these little mysteries. Since the previous owner felt it necessary to put his name on it, one might conclude that there were more than one, several alike, from which he wished to be able to readily identify his individual rifle. I'm sure that eventually it's exact intended use will come to light. I'm thinking about the placement of the holes -- 3 o'clock would push it left, 9 o'clock would push it right, so no gain there as a compensator, although maybe for recoil reduction. Have you fired it without the slip on attachment?
    DG

To answer another question, no troop tag under the butt plate.

I have not fired it without the sleeve and have only fired it with GP11 surplus ammo. I do have some loaded with boolits and just waiting for warmer weather.

Since this thing is a real Frankenstein I'm thinking of having it drilled and tapped for a scope mount I bought several years ago. My old eyes need a scope these days.

Boolit Master
    If you don’t want to drill you might see if this might fit.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/produ...nt-low-profile

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    If you don’t want to drill you might see if this might fit.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/produ...nt-low-profile
    I already have a D&T mount I bought from Grafs, I think it's a St, Maries (?) I had it on another 1911 that was already D&T when I got it. It went down the road but I kept the mount.

Boolit Master
    The Swiss Navy is sort of like a coast guard patrol for their large lakes. Our Coast guard also patrols the Great Lakes.

Anyway a line throwing gun would be very handy in mountainous areas. U S Army Rangers used Line Throwing guns of some sort during the Normandy invasion to climb sea side cliffs to attack German gun positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    The Swiss Navy is sort of like a coast guard patrol for their large lakes. Our Coast guard also patrols the Great Lakes.

Anyway a line throwing gun would be very handy in mountainous areas. U S Army Rangers used Line Throwing guns of some sort during the Normandy invasion to climb sea side cliffs to attack German gun positions.
    Excellent point! I guess mountain rescue teams would have a real need for a line thrower.