Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better case cleaning medium?

Boolit Bub

Better case cleaning medium?

I clean my BP brass in small rock polishing size tumblers using ceramic media and a soap/water combo. Does a great job. I also have a Lyman Turbo 2000 that came with a green colored kernel medium that I run my old multi-sourced .30 cal brass in. It does a so-so job but is very dusty, most all of the brass has a kernel stuck in the flash hole, and I just don't like using it. Is there better media that I can use in the Turbo that doesn't have these disadvantages? Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master

Better case cleaning medium?

Harbor Freight fine crushed walnut blasting media. W/ their coupon it’s $1 a pound. It doesn’t get stuck in flash holes. Cleans faster than corn media. But it doesn’t polish as well as corn media. I’m not one that needs bright and shiny brass so I don’t care about the duller polish.

Boolit Master
    Harbor freight has listed 2 diff. Grades fine and course. Is fine better than course? Dragon813gt

Boolit Master
    Going to try in large batch with concrete mixer about 30 # brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Graingers MSC Mc Master Carr or local shop supply stores have corn cob and walnut in various grades by the 50lb bag. The last bag I bought was 20 years ago 20-20 grade corncob. small enough to flow thru the flash holes. I believe it was around $15.00. I got this at the Andersons in Maumee Ohio. It can be treated with the case polishes available, nufinish works also. I keep 3 loads going, new untreated for removing the residue of treated media and case lubes. 2nd is treated for polishing and cleaning 3 rd is the number 2 batch that's really cruddy. Thisis used for range brass and really dirty corroded brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Harbor freight has listed 2 diff. Grades fine and course. Is fine better than course? Dragon813gt
    Yes, I listed “fine” for a reason. It’s small enough to not get stuck on flash holes. I’ve used this media in a concrete mixer plenty of times. If you want your brass super shiny then you want another type of media. If you simply want it clean then it’s exactly what you want.

Boolit Master
    If you can't get satisfied with dry media there are a few things you can add to it; mineral spirits, Iosso case polish (I've had really nice results with both), plus a bunch of others.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I use a mix of 50-50 fine blast media from Harbor freight-walnut hulls and the fine corn cob from Grangers and Nu finish. Fresh corn and the walnut is full of fine dust that raises up out of a uncovered tumbler. Used dryer sheets in the tumbler helps capture a lot of this dust. Like Country Gent I use the grungy media to clean brass before I size and after sizing to remove the lube from the cases.

Boolit Master

I mostly wet tumble with SS pins but I do on occasion dry tumble with walnut shell media. Dust can be a problem but I put in about a teaspoon of paint thinner and it keeps the dust down and seems to make the media work better.

Boolit Buddy
    Crushed walnut lizard bedding also works well and you can get it in any pet store or big box store that sells pet stuff

Boolit Grand Master

When I polish with corncob I add a cap full of mineral spirits and a cap of automotive polish. The mineral spirits cuts down on the dust and the car polish leaves a protective coating.

There are several threads about wet polishing using stainless media. It does a great job but it has a small learning curve. Mixing the correct formula, separating the media from the brass and drying.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I've been using the SS media for several years now and it's the best thing I've ever used in my 50 years of loading. There is a slight learning curve with the SS but it's nothing that any loader can't do. The biggest thing is cleaning your pins when you first open them and then again every three or so uses. If not you will do a load of brass that will have a dirty, greasy coating. I use mineral spirits to clean my SS pins and they will last forever.
    I purchased a large magnet to pick up my pins and a media tumbler to get them out of my brass. I use Dawn w/oxy soap as my cleaning soap and my cases come out looking as if they were just made including the primer pocket which i not cleaned this bright with any other method. The pins are the only way to do brass!! Take Care
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I've been using the SS media for several years now and it's the best thing I've ever used in my 50 years of loading. There is a slight learning curve with the SS but it's nothing that any loader can't do. The biggest thing is cleaning your pins when you first open them and then again every three or so uses. If not you will do a load of brass that will have a dirty, greasy coating. I use mineral spirits to clean my SS pins and they will last forever.
    I purchased a large magnet to pick up my pins and a media tumbler to get them out of my brass. I use Dawn w/oxy soap as my cleaning soap and my cases come out looking as if they were just made including the primer pocket which i not cleaned this bright with any other method. The pins are the only way to do brass!! Take Care
    Where do y'all get the ss pins?

Boolit Master

Surprised no one mentioned used driers sheets to control the dust and prolong the life of your walnut media. Dryer sheets trap the dust and just toss then after a few runs. Wife keeps them for me after the laundry.

I just tried the lemmi shine stuff for the first time and i was quite pleased. Just let it soak over night and brass was quite perty and patina/tarnish free. Its drying now on a towel. I do like to tumble with Nu-finish. I haven't done any official test but it seams that brass i tumble with Nu-finnish doesn't corroded on the shelf. Once a piece of brass starts to rust, if you don't get it out in time it will eat the whole bin. Living on the salt water swamp doesn't help.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I have started wet tumbling my 9mm without media. I run it once with a couple drops of Dawn 1hr and rinse. I run it again with Lemishine 15-20 min and rinse. Brass comes out very nice.

I have let the Dawn run for a couple hours before. It cleans the inside almost as nice as S/S media.

Quote Originally Posted by Schreck5 View Post
    Where do y'all get the ss pins?
    I bought mine from Orisolo here on the board. Midway has them, as most of the reloading supply mail order sites.as well as STM at the top of the page.

Boolit Grand Master
    Throw some fresh orange peels, or any other fruit skin like it, in when vibrating.
    Keeps down on the dust, and the acid helps clean.

Boolit Master

I started with SS pins and moved on to SS chips.

get them from a guy on Facebook--I had to send a message and got a reply on cost. They cut the time in half compared to pins.

My entire contact with him is a happy customer--not in anyway part of the operation

https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers/
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Can you wet tumble in a Dillon vibratory tumbler?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Can you wet tumble in a Dillon vibratory tumbler?
    Probably not. I doubt that it would hold liquid without leaking. They were designed for dry media.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast