Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Which bolt action?

Boolit Master

Which bolt action?

I've gotten up to tax stamp number 15, and I want to try something different. As an aside, some really good deals from Capital Armory and the Silencershop right now.

What I want is a lightweight, compact, bolt action rifle with detachable magazines to fire a supersonic/subsonic capable cartridge, preferably cast-friendly, but factory available.

Calibers: .300 Whisper is the front-runner. Already have the dies and a Sig SRD762 I can even pin and weld in place to save a stamp and a wait. The downside is that even 240gr subsonic doesn't get me much, and supersonic is still just okay. Still, more than adequate.

.338 Spectre. I don't know of any cast loads, but certainly a contender, brings more energy to the table. Factory ammo is basically non-existent, and I'd need dto either use a spare Hybrid or the Liberty Mystic X. Supersonic is more capable than the Whisper, but I won't be able to pin and weld a suppressor. At best I could pin a mount for the Mystic or a DeadAir Keymo, but that's going to cost several hundred easily in the mount, and doesn't save as much barrel.

8.6 Creedmore! Currently vaporware, in development with the Q team for the Fix rifle and a Q suppressor. Frankly I'd be all over it if I tripped over $4500 at work. If I had the money I'd fly to the shop and hand Kevin my money for a full pre-order. So. It would mean waiting, but he ballistics are impressive, and the Fix rifle is everything I've ever wanted at 3x the price.

.458 SOCOM or .450 Shrubhamster. Sure, possible. Not as ballistically friendly, doesn't give the distance performance, not as economically feasible, and again unless I want to weld on my Hybrid quite a bit I'm still carrying a lot more barrel than I'd like, and the bigger bore is a louder shot. Still, 450gr and larger subsonic is a really tempting but idea.

Actions:Full confession, this is where I'm weakest. Again the Fix would be my pick, but they cost more than my car and the Mini Fix and 8.6 Creedmore Fix don't exist yet. Other than that, I'm sort of up in the air.

CZ makes the 527 in .300 Blackout. I like the action, but some users at 300blktalk have reported nosediving and poor feeding. I also can't find a magazine length listed, so I can't tell how long I can load.

Ruger American: aftermarket stock or chassis means AI mags, COAL is flexible. Factory .450 and .300blk models use AR mags, but the AR mag model also limits (afaik) to the factory stock. Decent action if budget, certainly workable for any caliber.

Savage: Axis and Model 10 are useable, stocks and chassis are available and AI mags again are simple enough and alleviate mag length issues.

Remington: 700 is out, Model 7 is doable and allows the same level of custom as a Savage. The AAC Model 7 doesn't use a detachable mag, otherwise this would be easier.

Howa: like CZ uses a micro action, bottom metal w/detachable mags and aftermarket stock easily available. If they offered a factory .300 AAC action I'd jump on it, and bare actions for an 8.6 are doable.

Stock: I'd prefer adjustable cheek risers at least. Lacking that, weight becomes #1 and a scope friendly cheek rest remains important.

Mags: AI is a good option, but if I can use AR mags (8.6 CM uses AR10 mags) that's a nice bonus. I don't care about more then 10, but I want least 10 rounds.

Barrel: Short is good. If I can pin a muzzle device on, that saves some length, and length is IMO worth a good bit of weight. A 10" bull barrel in .300 Whisper is better than a 16" barrel in .458SOCOM because I'm more likely to haul around thw shorter, lighter gun.

Ammo least important is ammo availability. Not useless, but anyone who's done a few decades of out of state hunting has occasionally had to buy ammo. Your luggage is lost, delayed, or you can buy local ammo way cheaper than buying poweder, brass, and bullets locally after flying in. BTDT, ammonon the shelf is worth it spending money when the unexpected happens.

Mission: I'm primarily looking for input on actions. I have a 12" .30-30 but it's much easier to transport a silencer than a SBR. Light is #1, compact #2, and budget is #3. Looking for additional information and suggestions.
    Last edited by mcdaniel.mac; 07-04-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have the Axis 110 Trophy hunter stainless in 7mm08 that I really love great trigger out of the box

Deaconllb

Banned
    It doesn't fit your list but I've always thought that a Ruger 77/44 would be a prime candidate for a suppressor. A 250 grain 44 Special load would handle the subsonic needs and a 44 mag could fill in for the supersonic loads.

The rifle is compact, uses a detachable rotary magazine and out to 100 yards would be an excellent tool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    It doesn't fit your list but I've always thought that a Ruger 77/44 would be a prime candidate for a suppressor. A 250 grain 44 Special load would handle the subsonic needs and a 44 mag could fill in for the supersonic loads.

The rifle is compact, uses a detachable rotary magazine and out to 100 yards would be an excellent tool.
    I have the 77/357 and thought a great deal about having it cut down. Not a lot of aftermarket stock options though.

Mossberg MVP rebarreled to .300 BO?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Mossberg MVP rebarreled to .300 BO?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I'm still gun-shy on the flap on the bottom of the bolt, but if a cheap donor pops up then maybe, but the action doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. I'm surprised that despite selling the Shockwave, their factory SBS, and factory AoW they don't make an 8" factory SBR in .300BO or something.

Boolit Master
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    If someone made a stock for the AR-mag American Ranch that didn't suck, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately the Ruger comb is too low for a decent scope.

Boolit Master
    Located a Savage donor action locally, the next step will be the ATF Form 1. Luckily Form 1's are coming back very quickly right now. I'm buying a new house today, so I'll be submitting the new F1 shortly after with the new address, using Silencer Shop's Form 1 service. My Encore frame sold quick, so I have the money for that covered.

The Savage was of course we'll within budget, a Hog Hunter .223 for $350. I like the Savage action, and the barrel and stock can be sold easily to defray the cost. I am considering holding on to the factory barrel, as the barrel nut does make switching possible. The other advantage is of course that the Savage action is extremely easy to modify. The bolt face is already correct for the .300 Blackout, and as a bonus should I decide to experiment with a .357AR Rimless or similar, it's doable on the action. The action also allows me to load long for caliber, important for loading heavy subsonic bullets, especially longer bullets with a better BC.

Next steps:

Stock: After the Form 1 is submitted I will be selecting a new stock. I like Boyd's hardwood, but I'll also be looking at some lighter weight options. The McMillan Edge would be great, but running $600+ I think will be budgeted out of the running, as adding bottom metal and a picatinny rail for a light would put me up around $1k.

MDT's LSS chassis is a close second. Though heavier (24-26oz before the stock, compared to 22oz for the McMillan), it does convert the action to use AICS magazines, which I'll be doing anyway. Unfortunately after the addition of something like a Luth or A*B Arms adjustable stock, we're in the $600 range. Not cheap, but cheaper.

Boolit Buddy
    Howa 1500 in .223 for $300 on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779570719

Boolit Master
    Pulled the Savage apart this morning. Surprisingly it's in decent shape. Hopefully someone else will like the barrel and stock. I would recommend the Hog Hunter over a Ruger Ranch in the future. The HH needs a bottom metal kit though.

More stock/chassis shopping. There are some used chassis on other sights, LSS and the XLR Element. Definitely heavier than I want, but the ergonomics are great, and it's still in the same price range as doing a more traditional stock+bedding+bottom metal.

Barrels are next. A 10.5" barrel for a Savage in .300 Blackout is not an on the shelf discovery. The next question is whether to go with a $99 blowout barrel and have my smith turn it down and rethread it, or order a match barrel. Lilja does "XP-100 contour" for $200, so after threading it's in the $450 range, on par with Bulberry. Other options would be welcome, but right now a $99 cast-off and $75 worth of cut and thread seems like the ticket.