Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Another Stupid Question, well mabe

Another Stupid Question, well mabe

On the average what seems to be the distance between the top of stock comb to the center of a scope? Speaking of the hight in inches.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    On the average what seems to be the distance between the top of stock comb to the center of a scope? Speaking of the hight in inches.
    You have given me a mission. I will report back by the end of the day with my empirical results.
    Thomas

YMMV...……………….

That distance can vary greatly due to a few things:

* Different ring heights

* The difference in various buttstock designs (drop at the comb, raised comb, no raised comb, etc, etc).

* The personal ergonomics of each shooter
    (face thin/fat/full, neck long/short, the distance between various shooter's eye & their anchor point/cheek, etc).

Most folks usually need to do some try-fit's, then make adjustments to whatever (ring height, lace-on comb or lowering/rasping the comb lower, etc), to obtain a full sight picture.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Depends on where your cheek bone is.

Boolit Grand Master

Just to throw another variable in I shot NRA High power and 3 position for awhile my match rifles had adjustable combs on them. offhand sitting kneeling and prone all had different comb settings on the same rifle due to head position and position.

Let us say for the average hunting rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Depends on where your cheek bone is.
    I keep one on the left and one on the right side of my face, where do you keep yours?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I like low mounted scopes and the average of 5 of our scoped rifles is 2-1/4" from the centerline of the scope to the comb of the stock.
    The shocker was that the Boyd's thumbhole stock was the same as some classic styles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like low mounted scopes and the average of 5 of our scoped rifles is 2-1/4" from the centerline of the scope to the comb of the stock.
    The shocker was that the Boyd's thumbhole stock was the same as some classic styles.

Thanks good to know.

Mounted a scope on an early Savage 99. The problem is, there's 4 inches from top of comb to center of scope. A lace on cheek riser reduced it down to 3 inches. Still thinking of other ways to lower the distance.

A picture will help. That sounds like see thru rings height.

Boolit Buddy
    VERY few rifles are fitted to the owner anymore.
    A fitted rifle is a joy forever! I applaud you for trying.

The 'Cheat' in the Marine Corps was a cheek pad.
    Adjustable comb stocks came along later and are still used quite often.

For proper fitting, the 'Easiest' tool you can own is round aluminum bar stock (1", 30mm, 34mm) with a 1/8" hole center drilled, and as long as the 'Average' optic tube.

Normally, you don't want rings TALLER than clearances the action/barrel.
    (It's usually an objective bell over the barrel clearance)
    Once the optics clear, get the customer in and have him shoulder the rifle.

WATCH to see if he tucks his head down or raises his head up.
    If he tucks down to see through that 1/8" hole, time for taller rings.
    If he raises up, time for taller cheek comb.

While eyes are generally 63mm apart, there is no 'Standard' cheek bone to eye center height.
    Ethnic differences, skin thickness, fat under the skin, even eye orbit in the socket all come into play.
    I've had guys I fitted 30-40 years ago come back to have the comb shaved because the skin thickened and they gained weight in 30-40 years...
    (A well fitted rifle is a joy forever!)

This is general terms,
    If you are rural, you will find people in the area are all *About* the same since immigration back when was often done in groups.
    If you live in a high population area, it's a **** shoot.

There was a big discussion in the Marines about Carlos Hathcock & Chuck Mawhinney when we were taking the fitting course.
    They both seemed to fit the 'Standard' rifles almost perfectly, and some speculated that *Might* have contributed to there phenomenal shots.
    Both used cheek pads, tape & 'Mole Skin' on the stocks to make the rifles fit even better.
    (The **** bored Marines will discuss...)
    It could also be **** pumped to keep us interested...

With todays STUPID BIG objective lenses/bells, the rings are getting taller, that poses issues for the gunsmith in both cheek comb & trying to keep the owner from canting the rifle.
    The taller the rings over the bore of the barrel, the harder it is to keep cant out of the rifle when it's shouldered.

What I do is shine a laser bore sight from the front of the bar stock backwards, use a ruler off the cheek comb to measure height off the comb and record that reading for the customer.
    Collecting that data over time will give you an 'Average' for your area.
    (I do a LOT of scribbling under butt pads, eye relief, pull length, cheek height, ect. so it stays with the rifle)

Every actual gunsmith has access to a lathe, so it's no problem to make the aluminum bar stock tool, and it's crazy handy for fitting. Almost no one does fitting anymore, so it doesn't surprise me when the current crop of 'Gunsmiths' haven't heard of it...

Boolit Buddy
    In your specific case, since you aren't going to cut the stock and fit a custom cheek riser...
    Try shaping 'Hard' rubber or even styrofoam on top the stock (double stick tape) and strap your pad riser on over it.
    There are risers made (cut to fit) a dense neoprene I think, that fit under cheek pads quite well.