Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: good time for ar15 fans

Vendor Sponsor

6.5 Grendel .. is the answer to a much more powerful but still in a 223 lower size
    Great deer/hog hunting round
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

id be real interested in a 762x40. But not at a grand for an upper. If someone like psa made complete uppers for 250-300 it would be my next build.

Banned

sent psa a email asking them to make a run of 762x40s. Maybe if enough more ask they will make some.

Banned

Grendel would be cool too but it would break me buying brass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    6.5 Grendel .. is the answer to a much more powerful but still in a 223 lower size
    Great deer/hog hunting round

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Grendel would be cool too but it would break me buying brass.
    I love my Grendel. Brass is cheap when you convert it from 7.62x39. Its a rare brass to find at the range, but when i do i scour for every little piece.

My next AR will be chambered in the .277 wolverine.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    My next AR will be chambered in the .277 wolverine.
    I’ve been waiting for them to get suppliers straightened out for the 358 Yeti. Should make a nice thumper and I have all the molds and brass I would ever need.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I wouldn’t say it hasn’t caught on because you haven’t heard of it. It’s a well known cartridge if you’re into ARs. But like all the wildcats it has its limitations.
    Ummmm.... I shoot weekly at a busy 5000 member range. Multiple rifle ranges. Lots of AR guys. Lots of 300AAC. Lots of 6.5 Grendel. Not a single 7.62x40 WT shown off buy a proud owner? Yeah, it pretty much hasn't caught on. I may be a trend setter yet.
    What has been your experience with the cartridge if any?

Boolit Master

PSA showed blem uppers, shipped for a price too low to mention here.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    Ummmm.... I shoot weekly at a busy 5000 member range. Multiple rifle ranges. Lots of AR guys. Lots of 300AAC. Lots of 6.5 Grendel. Not a single 7.62x40 WT shown off buy a proud owner? Yeah, it pretty much hasn't caught on. I may be a trend setter yet.
    I have a 7.62x40 WT in a 700 bolt action that I used for HP silhouette using j-bullets, I used 140 gr. for chickens, pigs, and turkeys and 175 gr. for rams. I use a hoch 210 gr. when shooting cast. If your are going to use in the AR you are pretty much stuck with the light weight bullets because of magazine length. I don't of anybody that makes 7.62x40 headstamp brass, I just make my own from .223.
    Last edited by Steelshooter; 07-14-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I will repeat again. Just because you haven’t heard of it doesn’t mean it hasn’t caught on. It’s like almost every AR wildcat in that it hasn’t gained mainstream adoption. If I judged based off what I saw at the range then all anyone shoots is 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56 and 22 LR. The world is a lot bigger than a single range.

I have no interest in the 7.62x40 WT because like all the wildcats there are compromises. The performance isn’t there. And the cost is to high. It’s not like it’s a new cartridge either. It’s been around for a number of years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I will repeat again. Just because you haven’t heard of it doesn’t mean it hasn’t caught on. It’s like almost every AR wildcat in that it hasn’t gained mainstream adoption. If I judged based off what I saw at the range then all anyone shoots is 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56 and 22 LR. The world is a lot bigger than a single range.
    Yeah. Maybe if I type slower. "Catching on" = "mainstream adoption".

When I am unaware of something I am more than secure enough to admit it and learn something.
    Snarky know-it-alls aren't much help in my quest.

Are you sure you're not from Scotland? Going on ignore just in case.

Boolit Master

Yeah. Maybe if I type slower. "Catching on" = "mainstream adoption".

When I am unaware of something I am more than secure enough to admit it and learn something.
    Self proclaimed know it alls aren't much help in my quest.

Are you sure you're not from Scotland? Going on ignore just in case.
    your being more abrasive than he is now!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    you're being more abrasive than he is now!
    Mission accomplished.

X-caliber makes barrels for 40wt, Price isn't too bad. Dies are $$ but you can use 300BO set up properly. Chamber design is more for light <150gr bullets and higher fps. Didn't know plum crazy lowers were carbon fiber - must be expensive due to hand layup. Handguard not so bad, layup & mill.
    Whatever!

Banned

seems like what I want has compromises everywhere. Im looking for a realitively cheap ar to hunt deer with that would also handle cast well and brass is cheap or easily made from 556 which I have many thousands of pieces already. I don't want a buck a pop for brass. Id really prefer it in 30 cal because it would be big enough to use cast and even ball bullets would be relatively cheap. I just don't see why the full length 556 case necked up to 30 or even 7mm has never caught on. Seems like it would be a much better hunting round then the BO. I understand the guys that want sub sonic for there suppressors but right not the price of another suppressor is out of my range so sub sonic doesn't mean a thing to me. Someone find me a cheap upper in 762x40. that's the closest thing ive seen to ideal for what id want it for. I know the 300 bo will kill a deer but power wise its about indentical to an m1 carbine and I killed my first few deer with one of them and it wasn't to impressive and very lacking even when compared to a 3030. I wouldn't have even tried it over 50 yards even as a teenager.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the set of dies I purchased from Wilson combat. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lee-Pre...762X40WTDIE-L/
    They even tell you how to form the brass. I would say the power is closer to 30-30 than 30 carbine. The Wilson combat upper is the top of the line upper that is why it cost so much. Buy one of WT barrels for 219.00 then buy a cheap 223 upper and switch the barrel to 7.62 x 40 it is that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
    Here is the set of dies I purchased from Wilson combat. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lee-Pre...762X40WTDIE-L/
    They even tell you how to form the brass. I would say the power is closer to 30-30 than 30 carbine. The Wilson combat upper is the top of the line upper that is why it cost so much. Buy one of WT barrels for 219.00 then buy a cheap 223 upper and switch the barrel to 7.62 x 40 it is that easy.
    You'll need Wilson mags or modify regular mags for the 7.62x40 WT. OAL is the bugaboo for getting more power from the AR15. It seems that the 6.5 Grendel gets the nod for best all around performance from the AR15 magwell IMO. But I haven't had one....yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wilson mags are actually lancer, milled for BO. When pmag finally gets BO mags into stores, they will go great. 40WT has room for more powder, IIRC 125gr @ 2400 fps. is a decent load. I run a 145gr @ 2100 PB, accurate. I did make a 7.62x 38 case, gives more powder space. The x40 has a shorter neck. Can't completely blow out the neck as it is then too thin (and splits).
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    What about .223 Basic cases from Starline to form the 7.62x40 WT from? They're cylindrical/unformed and sound like just the ticket.. I was thinking how nice it would be to build a 9mm or .357 upper using this case and just leaving it straight - sort of a rimless .357 Max. It would be deer-legal here and uses a standard diameter boolit. Some folks are working on this, but it seems chamber dimensions/case length are not yet set. More wild imaginings are in order before making a decision. In the meantime, a 6.5 Grendel seems much more likely. Sarco has an 18" unported, heavy contour barrel on their web page for $65 (out of stock, of course) that I'm waiting to get one of. The idea is to build a gas-trap AR for . . . scientific research. (Once your mind is made up, any excuse will do.) Actually, someone was producing a gas trap AR a few years ago, but I couldn't find much info on it, so it may have faded out. Seemed like a good idea, though. Sportsmans Guide had a good deal on Russian steel-cased 6.5 Grendel, cheap enough to just stock up on. Any hunting or competition efforts could be satisfied with a couple hundred cases for reloading purposes. I definitely want to get the class 2 (?) bolt rather than using the 7.62x39 design for the added lug strength. Can anyone comment on this?

Boolit Buddy
    Type 2 bolt is definitely the way to go. As far as the 223 blank cases for 7.62x40, you would still have to cut the cases, form the 7.62 then trim the cases to length. And the blank cases are 30.00 more than the regular 223 cases. In my dealings with sarco and other reviews I would not buy a barrel from them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast