Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: good time for ar15 fans

Boolit Master

I have resisted the Grendel for some time...

I went with the 300BO some years back and it has been good to me doing 90% of what I am needing in a NEW ENGLAND deer rifle. Our deer are big, but close. I took one at about 160 and at the raking angle to bullet "bounced" off the leg bone and took out the juggler. I knew then that the 300 was gonna be limited to 100 ish yards.

I bought a 25/45 Bbl and took a couple deer with it. its a good caliber but finding a bullet that will properly preform at its velocity range is my issue... Factory ammo is TOO HOT and expands case heads excessively in three different bbls.

Late last fall I bought a HOWA 6.5 Grendel... Then this spring I bought a barrel in Grendel and "shelved" on of my 300 BO barrels. Couple months ago, Midway ran a clearance on the 110 FTX 257 bullet that they made for the 25/35 Winchester... well I have high hopes, but this bullet looks like it might be THE BULLET for the 25/45. I have hit 2650 fps and HONEST 1/4 MOA from my 20'' HB using 2200 powder. NO excessive case head expansion and NOTHING on my 450 Primers or case heads W/ejector marks.

The Grendel is also VERY accurate, but its ballistics don't impress me not even making 2500fps from a 22" or 20" HB AR bbl... I'll keep working with it using both 100 & 120 Nosler BT bullets.

The 277 dia never did impress me... But I have a few others 25's and a bunch of 30's & even a couple 6.5's. So I have these bullets diameters on the shelf already. If I choose a 277, I would need everything, and frankly, it wont do anything that what I already have couldn't or dosen't. BUT this in no way takes anything from caliber if someone liked the 270.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Or get a BO barrel and ream it to 40WT or your variant. I got a wild hair from seeing a precision bolt 308W in the LGS. Cut most of the top of the handguard off the pistol (10"), leaving only the bottom half. Reduces weight and gives a front stand rest point. I'm testing 170 & 185gr in the pistol for hog hunting. Good so far to 50yds.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Or get a BO barrel and ream it to 40WT or your variant. I got a wild hair from seeing a precision bolt 308W in the LGS. Cut most of the top of the handguard off the pistol (10"), leaving only the bottom half. Reduces weight and gives a front stand rest point. I'm testing 170 & 185gr in the pistol for hog hunting. Good so far to 50yds.
    Pics please?

And just today I received an email from primary arms. They are offering a 458 Socom Barrel for $100 and they include a stripped upper receiver free! Wheels are turning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    X-caliber makes barrels for 40wt, Price isn't too bad. Dies are $$ but you can use 300BO set up properly. Chamber design is more for light <150gr bullets and higher fps. Didn't know plum crazy lowers were carbon fiber - must be expensive due to hand layup. Handguard not so bad, layup & mill.
    Dies aren't bad, Wilson carries Lee dies for it along with the Hornady.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lee-Pre...762X40WTDIE-L/
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned

Heres something I think would work well. How about a standard length 223 but blow out to improved opened up to 25 6.5 7mm or 30 cal. Make mine a 257 (just because I like the 25s) shooting an 87 grain sierra game king. Is there any such thing?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Heres something I think would work well. How about a standard length 223 but blow out to improved opened up to 25 6.5 7mm or 30 cal. Make mine a 257 (just because I like the 25s) shooting an 87 grain sierra game king. Is there any such thing?
    They would probably be to long for the magazine or the bullet would have to be seated to deep in the case.

Boolit Master

The 25/45 isnt blown out. But its a 25!

I lile the caliber/cartridage. Factory ammo is too hot in the three barrels I shot it in but no matter, Ill load my own!

Im shooting a 110g Hornady FTX under 1/2” at 2650 fos from a 20”.

I also shoot a Sierra 90g BTHP at almost 2950fps with near 1/2 MOA accuracy. Its a lil fragile on deer if bugger bones are hit. But works very well on lungs even at range.

CW

Banned

now that has my attention. Basicaly 250 sav ballistics in an ar15! Even if it doesn't really push a 87 to 3000 my ex wife and son killed quite a few whitetails with 250s loaded to about 2700 with an 87 grain sierra and it did it well. Anyone selling a reasonable priced complete upper?
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    The 25/45 isnt blown out. But its a 25!

I lile the caliber/cartridage. Factory ammo is too hot in the three barrels I shot it in but no matter, Ill load my own!

Im shooting a 110g Hornady FTX under 1/2” at 2650 fos from a 20”.

I also shoot a Sierra 90g BTHP at almost 2950fps with near 1/2 MOA accuracy. Its a lil fragile on deer if bugger bones are hit. But works very well on lungs even at range.

CW

There are no resonably priced 25/45 Sharps AR barrels that I have found. Equal to the 25-35 Win; it would prove handy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

DEFINEATELY exceeds the 25/35!

This is a 117 RN in a 223 case . It loads right to cannalure as if designed for the case! OAL 2.260.

I have good loads right at 2200 but have hit 2400 fps with the bullet and 2200 powder.

This was with H335 IIRC and shot very well nearly duplicating 25/35 ballistics easily.

Currently I am very excite with this 110G FTX bullet. I'm almost mid 2600 and shooting 1/4 MOA.

I don't know of any uppers other than form Sharps directly. I bought a barrel and assembled my own.

CW

Boolit Master

BONUS 25% Off Footwear Coupon + 20% Off Coupon + Up to 40% Weekly Ad Savings!

Can't see the images in this email? Click here.

MY STORE
    4358 BAY ROAD UNIT 13

SAGINAW, MI 48603
    (989) 799-9119
    UPDATE
    Value Vault Departments Weekly Ad Nav Bar

20% off coupon

25% off footwear coupon

22lr hs mini mag $5.99
    blazer 9mm ammo $8.99
    lcp .380 auto pistol $199.99
    model 1911 r1 stainless $529.99
    qrc carbine $449.99

Good old Dunhams has a carbine AR15 for $449.99 after rebate with a coupon which I tried to copy and paste but got the above verbiage instead. Today and tomorrow only.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master
    Black Hole Weaponry/Columbia River Arms, I believe, had the sharps barrels for an AR fairly cheap at one time. think I paid $135 for mine IIRC

DPMS AR carbines on the radio today for $399!

Boolit Bub
    I built my ar from parts for sub $300. Found a full parts kit for $250 shipped and added a lower. Put it together myself. Even has a mlock rail.

Boolit Buddy
    true sporting arms old is the discount sales arm of Black Hole Weaponry. They have the 25-45 and the 30 American barrels for about $90 bucks each. The 30 can be loaded with 30 Herret dies ( cheap ) using 6.8 SPC brass. Not cheap, but affordable. Use a 6.8 bolt and mag, everything else is straight up AR. Will run up to 150 grains, and a bit hotter than the commie round with better mags.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123